T Nation

Wrestling Headgear

Anyone have any recomendations for good headgear/ear protection for BJJ? Both of my ears were almost ripped off and have been stitched on so i need to protect them when grappling. I’m looking for the lowest profile, least dorky, and most functional (dont slip off) out there.

I wrestle. My relationship with BJJ etc. is “oh that weird shit some of the guys in the wrestling room do when they pin themselves”. So I’m not too familiar with the specifics of BJJ etc.'s ear problems, just the cauliflower stuff of wrestling (if there are any specific differences other than those I know).

I wear a pair of asics headgear I really like about…50% of the time in practice (usually weeks on weeks off). Its black and the sides have three “airholes”…I don’t know the precise name, but it works well, the product is quite good. The thing I would keep in mind in regard to headgear is, unless you’re in a US style folkstyle room, where because headgear is mandatory I assume everyone wears it, is that the guys you wrestle in practice often will not wear headgear.

As such, definitely be cognizant of the outside of the headgear itself; when two of us are wearing headgear we can bash and grind heads and laugh about it, but when you’re not wearing any and you wrestle someone with headgear, it can be incredibly painful and leave a lot of cuts,scratches and bruises on your head.

The two things I would look for is the exterior of the ear guards itself and if its plastic or more fabric based, as well as if it has sharp edges; and also the connecting straps that usually go around the forehead area; if they are two sharp or poorly placed, you can really scratch and cut someone’s head.

Most of the headgear is designed with regard to both partners wearing it, but I find that’s often rare and so getting a good pair that doesn’t piss off your training partner is real important. Again, I think the asics piece I have is pretty good.
Just my two cents,
MF

www.wrestlinggear.com

i coach high school folk style wrestling. this is just one of many sites to get head gear. my advice is just go with the cheap old school style. it works better than what we refer to as halo head gear. no need buy cael sanderson signature gear. i have met the man and he is a beast but it all really works the same.

bummer about your ear getting ripped off. i can’t prevent my kids from wearing head gear in practice but i do tell them that cauliflower ear is a wrestler’s badge of honor. that is old school thinking that is frowned upon now, but when you see a high school kid that has two mangled ears walk onto the mat you know two things: he has been at it for a long while, and it is gonna be a bad experience. good luck!

Brute Shockwave is what I use. Works great and is the most comfortable by far.
http://www.alssports.com/ecomminc/prodpgs/1/BRUTE_Shockwave_Earguard_20565.asp

Who are you training BJJ with? You might want to look for a different school. Cauliflower ears are one thing but almost getting them ripped off is another.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Who are you training BJJ with? You might want to look for a different school. Cauliflower ears are one thing but almost getting them ripped off is another. [/quote]

My ear injury is from a car accident with a semi truck.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
Brute Shockwave is what I use. Works great and is the most comfortable by far.
http://www.alssports.com/ecomminc/prodpgs/1/BRUTE_Shockwave_Earguard_20565.asp[/quote]

I was looking at this one and I think I’d really l;ike it becuase it looks pretty low profile and soft. I’ve read some reviews that this headgear slips off too easy. any experience with this?