Wrestling Headgear

https://www.cliffkeen.com/shop.cgi?product_id=204

any other reccomendations?

all the cool kids have cauliflower ear.

nahhhhh j/p!! i dunno if id buy any headgear without trying it on first, but that’s just my personal take.

hahha, I dont want to have to explain to girls why it looks like my ear has a tumor.

http://www.weplaysports.com/Brute/Shockwave/

Eddie Bravo uses this one. More comfortable for your training partner as well. Downside i hear is that it gets really hot after a while. but i tend to take off headgear during breaks anyway. Plus I’m used to boxing headgear, nothing gets hotter than that lol.

I’m not prone to cauliflower ear at all, but just to be on the safe side i see no reason not to wear one.

I hate those fancy new ones. They’re uncomfortable and no nothing for you. I actually developed cauliflower ear when using my buddy’s headgear (top one).

There is a reason why the old headgear has been around for 20-30 years.

http://www.mywrestlingroom.com/images/catalog/live/imageLibrary/1c9e1d9aee4647b293142a7ede961882M.jpg

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
hahha, I dont want to have to explain to girls why it looks like my ear has a tumor.

[/quote]

But it is fun to say “it’s not a toomahh” in your best Arnold voice.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

http://www.weplaysports.com/Brute/Shockwave/

Eddie Bravo uses this one. More comfortable for your training partner as well. Downside i hear is that it gets really hot after a while. but i tend to take off headgear during breaks anyway. Plus I’m used to boxing headgear, nothing gets hotter than that lol.

I’m not prone to cauliflower ear at all, but just to be on the safe side i see no reason not to wear one.

[/quote]

Haha, my friend wears that one and I tease him endlessly for it. It looks like a pink thong. my ears are already fucked and I don’t like how constricting headgear feels.

Like Slimjim, I find headgear very constricting. I feel like my senses are restricted, if that makes any sense.

I just make sure to drain the blood before it calcifies whenever my ears get banged up, which isn’t very often, and they’re in pretty good shape still. A little cauliflower-y (if that’s a word), but not too noticeable.

Plus, when I’m grappling with someone who has headgear on, I tend to use it as a “handle” almost subconsciously.

Give it a try, see if you like it or not. It all comes down to personal preference.

JR

I prefer the older style as well. the newer ones are too huuuuge.
somone mentioned you can use it to grip, well
you can make people very uncomfortable with the headgear.

In college you will see every one with head gear at least at matches.
Post season with free style and greco, maybe in the training room. but people will bust your balls.
I have never , ever seen it in international competition.

I wore it all the time, Judo I did not, and have had the ears drained several times. I have some cauliflower, and need different sized earbud styled head phones.

I later got bit by a dog on the right ear, and got super lucky…
the DR. who stitched my ear back on , did a good job-
and it somehow looks better after than before.

I would encourage anyone who likes their ears to at least wear it training.

here are some a little different.
http://www.wrestlinggear.com/store/headgear/

this is the kind that is super uncomfortable for opponents/partners.
http://www.wrestlinggear.com/store/headgear/908_Matman_Earguard_32.html

kmc

I hate wearing headgear. It always slips over my ear and hurts more than just letting my ears take a pounding.

Having it drained sucks, but hey it’s all a price of the sport.

That said, the old school style is a lot more comfortable.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
I hate wearing headgear. It always slips over my ear and hurts more than just letting my ears take a pounding.

Having it drained sucks, but hey it’s all a price of the sport.

That said, the old school style is a lot more comfortable.[/quote]

if you use the old skool cliff keene crossing the straps on top
makes it fit better. You set them up like an X

kmc

fuck headgear, the best thing about freestyle wrestling was that you didnt have to wear one

umm i have cauliflower ear and when i was getting it it hurt like a bitch. I didn’t wear headgear during practice so when people slapped it or hit it it would distract me. Even when I started using headgear when it moved it would still hurt my ear.
I wore the first ones all year and a crappier kind last year. I like the first ones you put up but I haven’t tried on more than 2 pair so I can’t really tell you.
Who cares if it’s more comfortable for your partner? You’re supposed to be hurting him. A kid I knew had one that had a plastic band on his forehead that would tear into my head.

Shit after training in headgear for a week I don’t even notice it and feel naked without it.

Also you won’t like your cauliflower ears so much when they get a staph infection and you can’t train. Also the ladies always seem to point it out and I only have a little one at the top but they still see it. I imagine if I had bagels for ears they would never miss it.

So get one that fits good and is easily adjustable. this is important because if you are a sweater like me then after the nylon gets hot and sweaty it expands and needs to be adjusted mid training. That or get another one that you can switch into halfway through. I like the 3 band “matman” ones as seen because you can get your tightening on real quick but I lost mine and now use a totally gay one that has zebra patterns on it. it’s ok but hard to adjust.

But it is a good piece of equipment to have like shin shells if you injure your shin. same for head gear it either prevents injury or lets you train while rehabilitating it.

If anybody uses it as a “handle” be sure to work some heavy knee on sternum/bladder/gut position with them. For the real dick smokers that grab tshirts I like to put a little bounce into it because Im cunt like that. Although I usually just let them know not to because im just a nice guy.

-chris