Wrestling and Explosive Training?

If there is any advice or a workout plan someone could suggest to aid in an athlete becoming more explosive in motion? So what I am asking is for some tips on how to better my speed and power when on the mat.

Will

[Add me as a friend on T-Nation if you want ^^]

Drill your technique more.

If you’re looking for something more recreational…and you want to improve your MOVEMENT.

Capoeira (seriously)

If you’re attempting to become more “explosive”.

First gain really fucking strong. Maximal strength alone can improve your explosiveness a lot.

Dynamic effort work. Power Snatches. 1 arm snatches.

and a ton of metabolic conditioning is key imo.

I haven’t tried some of this, but…

Thanks for the link and advice, i have practice tonight. Im just in bussiness class putterin around, ill be sure to try out these drills!

Listen to Xen,

explosiveness is more of a neurological phenomena, depending on how you look at it, primarily because it is derived from motor unit recruitment. So drilling to get the proper firing sequence in the motor units is an aboslute necessity. From there you also want to work on maximal strength, as well as explosive movements from a dead stop to overcome the length stretching response and work on maximal instant motor unit recruitment.

I am more of a striker so when I want to work on the explosiveness of a combination what I do is break it down step by step and perfom it exactly as I want to, but slowly teaching my body exactly how I want it to move, then move to explosiveness of each component, then put it all together.

Thats what I was looking for, great stuff. T nation has a great community!

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Listen to Xen,

explosiveness is more of a neurological phenomena, depending on how you look at it, primarily because it is derived from motor unit recruitment. So drilling to get the proper firing sequence in the motor units is an aboslute necessity. From there you also want to work on maximal strength, as well as explosive movements from a dead stop to overcome the length stretching response and work on maximal instant motor unit recruitment.

I am more of a striker so when I want to work on the explosiveness of a combination what I do is break it down step by step and perfom it exactly as I want to, but slowly teaching my body exactly how I want it to move, then move to explosiveness of each component, then put it all together.[/quote]

[quote]apbt55 wrote:

I am more of a striker so when I want to work on the explosiveness of a combination what I do is break it down step by step and perfom it exactly as I want to, but slowly teaching my body exactly how I want it to move, then move to explosiveness of each component, then put it all together.[/quote]

^Good shit right there

If you are going to lift weights, you might want to think about what you are doing in the weight room. Using bands or working explosive movements in the gym is probably not as effective as wrestling specific drills, but it certainly can’t hurt if you are going to spend time in the gym anyway.

I always though complexes or circuits with explosive movements for low reps would be good for overall wrestling performance. Maybe 4 exercises for 3 to 6 reps. Maybe 5 circuits. I need to take off some lbs so I will probalby put something together like this.

Throwing, pulling, pushing, and running with heavy stuff around the yard ala strongman probably wouldn’t hurt either.