Wreslting

Ok hope no one yells at me for posting this but does anyone else watch wrestling? I mean The WWE? Some of those Guys are flat out huge! Take Brock for example, 285 lbs and he can do a backflip off the top rope while jumping foward 20 ft (shooting star Press) and the new austrailian guy is even bigger than brock. can anyone tell if these guys are on steroids or anything? brock was an ncaa wrestling champion 2 times and he was huge then so i think he isn’t but who knows. anyways just wanted to see what everyone thinks about these guys?

Perfect example right here, fellas.

I haven’t watched in a while, but just from the rumors going around in strongman, is the new Australian Nathan Jones? If so, yeah, he’s probably on steroids, he was on WSM, I can’t remember the year, but he was doing great until Magnus broke his arm in arm wrestling, he kind of disappeared from strongman for a while, and now I heard he’s wrestling, what do they have his stats at?

I just started since Goldberg has come back. but i turn it when he leaves. I just cant watch it anymore. And doing back flips off of a raised surface is really no big deal. A half decent athlete can learn to do it in a couple of hours off the floor. I once did one on tv when i weighed 250. Its no big deal.

Not for nothing I even though WWE is fake and scripted there is “some” athletism involved…

Steroid use is rampant in professional wrestling. Vince McMahon himself was on gear. He may very well still be. Did you see him at Wrestlemania? In his autobiography, Hulk Hogan devotes an entire chapter to steroid use in the WWE. He talks about how his career suffered when he came off for a period in the 1990’s. Is Brock Lesnar on gear? I’d say it’s likely he’s at least done one cycle. He had an awesome physique in college, but the pressure to look the part of a true “superstar” is usually enough to get these guys to use.

To quote a post from Dave Meltzer, who writes the, ‘Wrestling Observer,’ which is the premier insider newsletter, on a wrestling fan forum?.

This relates to a (huge) discussion about the LA Times story on deaths in wrestling. It’s taken out of context so some stuff might seem confusing- but it basically answers the question that was asked.

’ few weeks ago I had a major star on my show and I was talking about how so many young guys who want to go to WWE are naive because they spend so much time practicing high spots and not lifting weights and practicing promos. I specifically said you don’t have to use steroids but you can at least weight train and get a respectable body, because you can.

During the commercial break, the wrestler said, you can’t have a physique the WWE will take seriously unless you are unbelievably genetically gifted (and he said the only guy he would say fits that category is Lance Storm) or you use at least some gas.

Pointing out Spike Dudley is a joke because he’s the exception and he will never get a major push, and a few guys like Bubba Dudley can get away with it because they are allowed to wear t-shirts but all of those people became stars elsewhere first and WWE then brought them in as opposed to getting a job first with a bad body.

Shannon Moore physically looks completely different than he did in WCW. Look at developmental and see who is called up and who isn’t. O’Haire got a call-up even though he was one of the worst guys in developmental, as did Batista, who they were grooming for a top position before he got hurt. There was a time when they steroid tested in developmental and the place was cleaning up and everyone was smaller. But when you are making $500 a week and see a guy who you can work rings around getting called up and making $3,500 a week, does it give you any incentive to make changes in your physique?

Anyone who says you should just get another job has no idea of the mentality of people who want to be wrestlers. I know dozens of indie guys over the years who has aspirations of stardom, who also said they didn’t want to do steroids. The ones who didn’t quit the business first all ended up being heavy users (one of them, Spicolli, is dead, although not from roids although his enlarged heart couldn’t have been helped by them. I’ll bet most of you thought he couldn’t have done steroids with his physique but he was a natural 230 pound guy who they hired when they saw him at 265 on the AAA PPV after knowing him for years and not caring). But they all learned what the realities of the business are, and the ones that made it all did so after changing their physiques.

I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault 100%, because in many ways it’s the fault of the audience that rejects people with average physiques, and McMahon is only delivering what the audience wants. But he also created this audience at the start because I saw people buy Greg Gagne beating up on Adonis, Ventura and Blackwell with no problem until fans were re-educated to the Vince version of the game. He lost $4 million to $6 million per year promoting wrestling with little or no steroids involved, so you can understand his mentality as well. The wrestling mentality is all about short term money.'/I>

They actually tried to bust Vince McMahon for distributing gear, but he wiggled out of it. This was back in the early 90s, if I remember correctly.

I think those guys are amazing athletes, and I don’t know how they can do some of those stunts and not break their necks!

There is a distinct lack of good gimmicks nowadays, though. Wrestling takes itself too seriously. And the nostalgia factor (bringing back Hogan and other over the hill stars) flat-out sucks.

If I’m home and there is nothing else on I’ll watch it. I don’t make it a priority to watch like I used too.

The vast majority are taking steroids of some kind. As was said in a previous post, Lance Storm might be an exception, as well as Jeff Hardy.

Wrestling is in a putrid state of affairs right now. The wrong guys are constantly being pushed while the true talent is consistently held down. It has been this way for a while now.

I look at the Bret Hart/Vince McMahon controversy as the beginning of the end of wrestling, as I knew it at least.

Dustin

WWE and steroids? I’m shocked! Say it ain’t so!!!

Does it really matter whether they use steroids or not? Really? Is that a bad thing if they do? Is it not obvious that most do? And whether they are using or not, does this mean there is something wrong with anyone else who chooses to?

Nope. Sure doesn’t matter. I don’t know why it’s a big deal. I could care less if someone is using or not. It’s obvious that those who do use get the contracts, make more money and win or look better than those who don’t.

As Charlie Francis made reference to, if steroids were legal, it could make for a more level playing field. I may not personally use steroids (although I’m all for legal prosteroids like MAG-10 and 4ADEC), but I have no problem with someone who decides to use.

The only time I’d say it’s a problem is when it’s supposed to be a “natural or drug tested contest” and you have users and nonusers going up against each other even though they are not supposed to. I think this has to do more with Olympic events and bodybuilding contests than wrestling or professional sports like football, baseball and basketball. In those sports, I think steroid use is just a competitive advantage, especially since drug testing is not as strict or made a big deal of.

I have to agree and say a vast majority are using. Freakzilla and those cannons are definetly using and so is Vince.

It has been pretty bad up until recently. It was great to see Goldberg comeback and Piper at wrestlemania. Lesnar made a great attempt at the shooting star but he landed on his head and knocked himself silly. Glad he won the title though.

Nate Dogg: >>Does it really matter whether they use steroids or not? Really? Is that a bad thing if they do? Is it not obvious that most do? And whether they are using or not, does this mean there is something wrong with anyone else who chooses to?

/agree completely. Who cares? Personal decision, personal appearance…hmm lot of personal there.
There are a few who don’t look like they use anything- Sean Michaels comes to mind, he’s just a nice looking athletic man (hides the posters and HBK hats and…)
I don’t hear people complaining EVER about chicks with implants or collagen…not in the way you hear steroids vilified. You think Trish Stratus got that way naturally?? :wink:
Just my two cents.

[quote]elveneyes
04/09/03
02:36 PM

agree completely. Who cares? Personal decision, personal appearance…hmm lot of personal there. There are a few who don’t look like they use anything- Sean Michaels comes to mind, he’s just a nice looking athletic man (hides the posters and HBK hats and…) I don’t hear people complaining EVER about chicks with implants or collagen…not in the way you hear steroids vilified. You think Trish Stratus got that way naturally?? :wink: Just my two cents.[/quote]

I’m one of the few guys that would complain about collagen or breast implants. I prefer the natural look and think implants do not look good at all. But then again, I’m not much of a “breast guy” like most guys. Sure, I admire and enjoy sucking, nuzzling and playing with a great set of breasts, but I could care less whether they are A-C, as long as they are real.

But for the issue at hand, it’s all personal preference and shouldn’t really matter in this particular setting (WWE).

BTW, is “elveneyes” a nickname/handle that you picked up as a result of the Lord of the Rings? Whenever I see your name, I automatically begin thinking of the elfen princess. LOL!

On WWE I could care less if they are using riods or not but here as a question. I know they are not true athletes either but I believe there are some athletism involved in WWE. I think they know how to control their bodies well.

Yea, there sauced out of thier minds.

I dont mind though, not that i watch it.

I don’t know for you, but HBO’s ‘Only in America’ biography of Don King was a real eye opener. If the super-salesman made it big with only one mega-scale boxing match once every so often, with all the ‘schemes’ he pulled along the way to get there, I can’t even begin to imagine all that it takes (brains, guts, chemicals, etc) to keep a monster like the Wrestling Industry alive. I guess when they’ll do a 60-DVD-set of all the ‘tricks’ wrestling used to keep the show going on, Don King will pass for the little red riding hood (no pun intended for the ‘hood’ part). Steroids? Must be a pre-requisite for 95% of the stars. Who cares? It’s SHOW business. Only flash-in-the-pan (sizzle) (image) matters. People want to see stuff their ordinary lives will never add up to. Freaky-big-steroid-juiced (not to say concentrated juice) bodies fits in the equation. Guaranteed! Just my 2 cents.

Fitone how can you say they are not athletes? Almost every one of them played a sport of some kind at an elite level. Goldberg and the Rock played college and professional football. Lex Luger played professional football. One of the guys at Westside is trying to get into professional wrestling. Lesner was a real wrestler someone above said and Kurt Angle won a gold medal in the Olympics. They are very much athletes. The tryouts just to get your foot in the door are worse than anything you could imagine. Like doing box squats for an hour straight until you puke. Goldberg said in his book that guys would leave and not even worry about their stuff. they would just split. it takes a very good athlete combined with a crazy mind to be a wrestler.

Goldberg they are not ATHLETES! Because they are acting and all the wrestling moves are scripted.

But, they are Athletic! That what I said. And they also know how to control there bodies.

How do you act like you’re jumping or picking somebody up?

Fitone, if they’re doing something athletic, that makes them athletes by definition. The fact that it’s scripted has nothing to do with it.