T Nation

Wrapping the Scapula

What do you all think about myth 1 in this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/4_weightlifting_myths_destroyed

Personally I can't really figure out how to do this in a stable way. When I try to spread the lats while benching, my scaps always retract as I lower the bar and keep moving all over the place as I do more reps.

I read this “wrap the shoulder blades around the rib cage” thing as pretty much like when you squat. After one “packs the neck” they then more or less postioin the shoulders try to wrap the bar down and diagonal. This makes the upper back solid. I’m thinking that a motion similar to this is what Todd was writing about but not sure what he was trying to illustrate.

A video would be awesome to make this clear. I also never felt totally comfortable with the “back and down” shoulder thing while benching. I’ve always done a down and diagonal thing and I try to bend the bar into an imaginary horse shoe. This makes my upper back super solid but feels better on my shoulders.

Ultimately, I’d like to know where he gets his info from to say that long standing technique is “myth” status.

I can’t understand the position he is trying to get the shoulder in to. I don’t know what he wants me to do. Anyone have any better cues for what to do?

My guess is he implemented this after reading Dr. Evan Osar’s book. Prior to it coming out I had never seen the cue used at all. Evans thought revolves around the fact that dysfunction can arise from placing the scapula in a fully retracted and depressed position, which is what squeezing them tight is cueing you to do.

To achieve the “wrap” you should feel like you are getting activation in your upper back, but not by squeezing the shoulder blades together.

The problem is that pling is a distance game, so while it may not be optimal for functional performance and rehab, squeezing will reduce your Pressing ROM, which will allow you to press a heavier weight.