WPI vs. WPC Questions

hi everyone,

apologies if this has been done before but i couldn’t find it through the search function

now I know the basics of the differences between WPI and WPC.

WPI being higher in protein usually 90%+, WPC being anything from 40%-90%, with the WPI being quicker absorbed.

now, a few knowledgable people have told me, that a cheap crappy WPI is far inferior then a expensive WPI, even if the % is the same. I find this a bit difficult to understand, I would have thought protein is like energy or temperature, its just a figure in respect to ZERO with no quality. eg 100 Degrees is 100 Degress.

Currently, I am taking a rather expensive WPI x 30g twice a day, once after training and once in the evening.

I am having 2 problems, I am running out of money, so I am thinking of switching to a cheaper WPI for after training.

I ahve also just heard a few people say, for the protein shake you take during the day when you aren’t training, becuase it doesnt need to be absorbed quickly. cheaper WPI is fine or WPC is actually better!!!

can someone please give me a few pointers…

Which whey isolate brand are you using?

If you’re running out of money, just take 1 scoop a day after training and eat food during the evening.

Am/Was using ISO-100

looking to continue using the ISO-100 for after training, and using a cheaper WPI or a WPI+WPC blend suppplement for the evening shake

From another site “each serving has an astonishing 24 grams of protein, with “0” Carb & “0” Fat. Look closer. You will see that all this is in a serving size of about 28 grams, making ISO-100 86% protein by weight!”

Me thinks that you can find isolates that are 28 grams per 30 gram serving(93%) for cheaper.

I would recommend ON’s 100% whey, as probably a lot of other people. ISO-100 has zero carbs… you’re gonna need carbs after a workout.

[quote]akumaslair wrote:
hi everyone,

apologies if this has been done before but i couldn’t find it through the search function

now I know the basics of the differences between WPI and WPC.

WPI being higher in protein usually 90%+, WPC being anything from 40%-90%, with the WPI being quicker absorbed.

now, a few knowledgable people have told me, that a cheap crappy WPI is far inferior then a expensive WPI, even if the % is the same. I find this a bit difficult to understand, I would have thought protein is like energy or temperature, its just a figure in respect to ZERO with no quality. eg 100 Degrees is 100 Degress.

Currently, I am taking a rather expensive WPI x 30g twice a day, once after training and once in the evening.

I am having 2 problems, I am running out of money, so I am thinking of switching to a cheaper WPI for after training.

I ahve also just heard a few people say, for the protein shake you take during the day when you aren’t training, becuase it doesnt need to be absorbed quickly. cheaper WPI is fine or WPC is actually better!!!

can someone please give me a few pointers…[/quote]

There are differences between grades of protein other than the amount of protein contained.

For instance, there are various ways to filter protein to achieve isolate status : there is cross-flow microfiltration versus ion exchange. Ion exchange seperates components based on their electrical charge, and from what I’ve read the process is generally harsher on the fragile immunoglobulins present in the whey protein. These are immune proteins which can bolster immune system. I have read that ion exchange denatures these, rendering them inactive.

Cross flow microfiltration, on the other hand, suppposedly does not do this, and is supposedly a superior filtering method to achieve whey isolate.

Now, whey concentrate, even though it is less than 90% protein by volume, also retains the immunoglobulin content, so a blend of whey isolate and whey concentrate is good if you don’t know how your isolate is filtered.

Both whey isolate and whey concentrate are slower digesting than hydrolyzed whey protein.

I personally think whey of any sort during the day is too fast to be an ideal single source of protein; it should be combined with some slower digesting protein for optimal benefit. Use whey by itself upon waking and peri-workout.

Of course, obsessing over the details such as this might increase your cortisol levels to negate any benefit gained from optimizing your protein intake :wink:

Buy Grow! Whey here - contains both isolate and concentrate, you know its good quality, and its very, very affordable - plus, you support this website.

Thanks newdamage and everyone,…

I have a bit of a problem, I am not in the US, so many of those brands are quite unfamiliar,

we have most of the big branded USA ones, and some local ones, price wise, the local ones are only slightyly cheaper…

so I guess, I will stick with my current WPI for imeediately after training, my decision is to buy a cheaper WPI (still has 95%+)for the night shake or buy the cheaper WPC which is around 80%???

I guess with the slow release characteristics of WPC, this would be ideal,

I just wanted other peoples opinion in case I am getting it wrong or am missing any info!!

Ok, so I have done this,

I hope it s the right thing

I have purchased Dymatise ISO 100 WPI because its low in carbs, high in protein, low in carbs, its the most expensive, and everyone is telling me that it is the best to be consumed immediaetly after training!

and I have purchased Dymatize Elite WHey Protein which is rather high % in protein, low in carbs, fats etc. has a mixture of WPI and WPC to be consumed in the evenings, to achieve slow release characteristics of the WPI, since I am not training at night!