WPI Versus WPC

Hey everyone… What’s your opinions on whey concentrate versus whey isolate. Obviously the latter is more pure so your getting more protein per serve however if im using my protein for a morning shake (mixed with oats, yoghurt, cottage etc) would it be smarter for me to buy WPC given its much cheaper?

In saying that though is WPC decent for a PWO shake (taking into consideration that i mix it with malto/dextrose some times).

Oh and im 82kg and in a gaining phase, very lactose tolerant and react well to CHO.

Cheers everyone

WPC if you can it’s a lot cheaper.
If you can’t handle the lactose WPI for everything. (or milk protein isolate if you can find it)

[quote]mckdean wrote:

In saying that though is WPC decent for a PWO shake (taking into consideration that i mix it with malto/dextrose some times).
[/quote]

This is fine.

Actually there is quite a bit to this but as the most interesting part of what I know about it is from in-house information, I’m not sure I should just blab it.

Without going into the stuff that is new information, certainly your concern about whether the amount of protein is a greater amount or lesser is a valid one, though a higher quality product can in fact have more of some highly useful fractions in a smaller gram-amount serving.

But just looking at the question of how much protein, it’s certainly not necessary to worry about concentrate vs isolate for this problem. The grams of protein given on the label will answer that for you.

On the general question of whether a WPC can be good: absolutely. It can in fact be better than an isolate. There are a number of factors involved. (It’s also possible of course for a given WPC to be crappy.)

Bill, what should one look for if buying concentrate?

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Actually there is quite a bit to this but as the most interesting part of what I know about it is from in-house information, I’m not sure I should just blab it.

Without going into the stuff that is new information, certainly your concern about whether the amount of protein is a greater amount or lesser is a valid one, though a higher quality product can in fact have more of some highly useful fractions in a smaller gram-amount serving.

But just looking at the question of how much protein, it’s certainly not necessary to worry about concentrate vs isolate for this problem. The grams of protein given on the label will answer that for you.

On the general question of whether a WPC can be good: absolutely. It can in fact be better than an isolate. There are a number of factors involved. (It’s also possible of course for a given WPC to be crappy.)[/quote]

Question Bill:

Supposedly the ion exchange method of filtering protein to a degree classifiable as isolate results in many of the immunglobulins being denatured and losing their useful characteristics as immune enhancers, etc…

How true is that? And if it is true, are other methods of obtaining isolate grade whey protein, such as cross-flow microfiltration, cold-filtered microfiltration, etc effective methods of preserving these microfractions?

Yes, you’re right, typically isolation results in isolating away or otherwise losing useful fractions such as you mention.

From the standpoint of what the industry can do, assays can determine exactly what any given product from various sources contains. From the standpoint of the end-user, I suppose it would be impossible to determine content of such fractions.

I am really not at all a food science chemist let alone with speciality in current methods of protein purification. It surely would be interesting, but I don’t have that depth of information as to what processes have what advantages.

While most likely some processes just flat aren’t as good as others, I suspect that it probably is more generally the case that it depends more on the particular producer and the particular product than on being a specific general method, and most likely what may be the method used by something that’s up there, but not quite the current best, may be the very method that in the near future yields the very best.

So even if I had more information on methods, it probably would be very time-perishable information anyway. Still it would be interesting.