Wow, Al Davis.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
…a competent coach, but no genius.

You’re rowing upstream on this one. 'Course, maybe it’s all semantics and it depends on one’s idea of what an NFL coaching genius is.

Who in past or present NFL coaching ranks would you classify as a genius?[/quote]

…Pete Carrol?

[quote]SSC wrote:
pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

You’re rowing upstream on this one. 'Course, maybe it’s all semantics and it depends on one’s idea of what an NFL coaching genius is.

Who in past or present NFL coaching ranks would you classify as a genius?

…Pete Carrol?[/quote]

Genius is easier when you get 10 future NFL draft picks a year.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Who in past or present NFL coaching ranks would you classify as a genius?[/quote]

Bill Walsh

RIP

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Bill Walsh

RIP[/quote]

x2

Bellicheat=evil genious

[quote]pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

I don’t know if he’s a genius or not, but part of his success is just the fact that he’s been coach of one team for so long. Some of the most successful are those that get to stay with one team for an extended period of time.

Look at Bill Cowher. Yes he had some ups and downs, but there were a lot more ups. Many winning seasons, two Superbowl appearances, one win. Jeff Fisher and Mike Holmgren both fall in this category, too.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Yup, Shanahan never got his money for when he was fired after four games i think. Well look how Shanahan turned out. It’s obviously not the coaches that are at fault. The team has done some pretty bad drafting and signing free agents the past few years.[/quote]

Yeah the bitch of it all is Shanahan eventually asked Davis to just donate the money to Oakland inner city schools and Davis STILL refused. What a dick.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Bill Walsh

RIP

x2

x3

That guy truly earned my undying respect as a genius.[/quote]

Bill Walsh is essentially a god here in the Bay Area. I was deeply saddened by his passing. It was all anyone could talk about for a while.

I don’t want to talk about this. What’s worse is now Cable is interim head coach. I already have to deal with UI getting their asses beat every Saturday then the Raiders doing the same on Sunday. Now my two nightmares have morphed into one gigantic clusterfuck with a former UI head coach as the current Raiders head coach.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
I don’t want to talk about this… Now my two nightmares have morphed into one gigantic clusterfuck with a former UI head coach as the current Raiders head coach.

mike[/quote]

LOL. Sports have a way of totally fucking up your world, don’t they?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
pushharder wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Bill Walsh

RIP

x2

x3

That guy truly earned my undying respect as a genius.

Bill Walsh is essentially a god here in the Bay Area. I was deeply saddened by his passing. It was all anyone could talk about for a while.[/quote]

Bill Walsh was a giant among coaches and men. Bill Walsh was everything Al Davis will NEVER be.

Why does 4, and only 4, strains of hair always blow around Davis’ ears in every shot of him? Doesn’t matter if he’s indoors or not.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
SSC wrote:
pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

…Pete Carrol?

Not as an NFL coach. No way.[/quote]

Yeah I know, I was just kiddin’. As far as geniuses go, I’d really have to agree that Walsh was great, Bellicheck is up there, and Dick Vermiel was a very underrated coach.

After sifting this through my head, this is what I came up with.

Geniuses:

Walsh
Lombardi
Paul Brown
Landry
Shula

Great, but not “genius”:

Vermeil
Belichick
Marv Levy
Madden
Sid Gillman

A step below that is where I would place all the “really damn good” coaches. People like Shanahan, Holmgren, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Schottenheimer, Cohwer, Dan Reeves.

This wasn’t a research paper, and I didn’t spend hours thinking this over, so take it for what it is. I’m sure I’ve forgotten a coach here and there. And, I also think some deeper thought would change my rankings. I do think the “geniuses” are pretty much standard. Below that, who knows?

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Geniuses:

Walsh
Lombardi
Paul Brown
Landry
Shula

Great, but not “genius”:

Vermeil
Belichick
Marv Levy
Madden
Sid Gillman

A step below that is where I would place all the “really damn good” coaches. People like Shanahan, Holmgren, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Schottenheimer, Cohwer, Dan Reeves.

This wasn’t a research paper, and I didn’t spend hours thinking this over, so take it for what it is. I’m sure I’ve forgotten a coach here and there. And, I also think some deeper thought would change my rankings. I do think the “geniuses” are pretty much standard. Below that, who knows?
[/quote]

Nice list, but I don’t see Chuck Noll. Do you know who Chuck Noll is?

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Geniuses:

Walsh
Lombardi
Paul Brown
Landry
Shula

Great, but not “genius”:

Vermeil
Belichick
Marv Levy
Madden
Sid Gillman

Nice list, but I don’t see Chuck Noll. Do you know who Chuck Noll is?[/quote]

Yeah, I also forgot Halas. I said I’m sure I would forget some.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Geniuses:

Walsh
Lombardi
Paul Brown
Landry
Shula

Great, but not “genius”:

Vermeil
Belichick
Marv Levy
Madden
Sid Gillman

[/quote]

First, Chuck Noll has to make the “genius” list if you include Landry and Shula.

Second, I don’t think you can really classify many head coaches as geniuses. Bill Walsh is one that you obviously can, because he invented an offensive system. I think Joe Gibbs qualifies as well.

But as for being a football genius, Off/Def Coordinators are now the ones who design schemes for the most part. Mike Martz is the only offensive genius I can think of at the moment. His system works everywhere he goes. Likewise, I would add Dick Lebeau (Zone Dog) and Monte Kiffin (Tampa 2) for their defensive contributions.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Geniuses:

Walsh
Lombardi
Paul Brown
Landry
Shula

Great, but not “genius”:

Vermeil
Belichick
Marv Levy
Madden
Sid Gillman

I don’t think you can really classify many head coaches as geniuses. Bill Walsh is one that you obviously can, because he invented an offensive system. I think Joe Gibbs qualifies as well.

But as for being a football genius, Off/Def Coordinators are now the ones who design schemes for the most part. Mike Martz is the only offensive genius I can think of at the moment. His system works everywhere he goes. Likewise, I would add Dick Lebeau (Zone Dog) and Monte Kiffin (Tampa 2) for their defensive contributions.[/quote]

That’s what I started to debate in my head. I wondered if a coach must be an innovator to be labeled a genius.