T Nation

Would You Risk YOUR Life?

Would you abandon everything you’ve ever known, gamble everything on one desperate bid, risk the lives of your family, to come to the United States?
And do it TWICE???

"MIAMI, Florida (AP) – A group of Cubans deported in January after nearly reaching the United States landed Friday at close to the same spot, a bridge in the Florida Keys that authorities earlier ruled wasn’t American soil, a relative said.

The people who beached around 3:30 a.m. at the new Seven Mile Bridge’s south end near a state park in the lower Florida Keys had not been identified, Monroe County sheriff’s spokeswoman Becky Herrin said. They were being taken to a Border Patrol station for processing.

Mariela Conesa said her teenage son, husband and five others in the January group were among the new arrivals. “I am so, so happy,” said Conesa, who hadn’t seen her son since she left Cuba by homemade boat in 1998.

Under the U.S. wet-foot, dry-foot policy, Cubans who reach U.S. soil are normally allowed to stay, while those caught at sea are usually returned home.

The U.S. deported the 15 who arrived in January because the Old Seven Mile Bridge is missing several chunks and the section where they landed no longer touches land. Their relatives sued, and U.S. District Judge Federico Moreno ruled they should have been allowed to stay. Federal officials agreed to give 14 of the migrants visas; the 15th was repatriated because he may have had a criminal record, Reuters reported.

Ramon Saul Sanchez, of the Miami-based Democracy Movement, which represents some of the relatives, said Cuban officials recently told members of the original group that they would not be permitted to leave Cuba for another four years because theirs was such a high-profile case.

“Sadly, the rest are still in Cuba,” he said."

It is for people such as these, the brave and the desperate, that this magnificent country was created! And shame on the bureaucrats who turned them back the first time!!

but in your other post you complain about the feds giving up tracking illegals…

No, Steven Harper hasn’t made it that bad here yet…

I don’t see how anyone can complain about illegal Mexican immigration on one hand, and then celebrate illegal immigration from Cuba. Is the idea that the trip was dangerous, what makes Cuban illegals acceptable to you? Because Mexicans can also risk their lives to get here. I think the main difference is that Cuban immigration is perceived as an insult to Fidel Castro, which makes it politically acceptable in a way that Mexican immigration isn’t. IMO that is a pretty flimsy rationale for celebration.

Also Cuban immigrants often vote Republican, while Mexican immigrants generally vote Democratic. I guess you’d find that important.

Another thread with an infantile political slant, what a big surprise.

[quote]vroom wrote:
No, Steven Harper hasn’t made it that bad here yet…[/quote]

HAH… he’s gonna do it soon =P.

The US policy towards Cuba is fucking retarded. The State Dept says [quote]U.S. policy toward Cuba is intended to encourage a rapid, peaceful transition to a democratic government characterized by open markets and respect for human rights.[/quote] when in fact Bush’s asinine policy is intended to accomplish the exact opposite.

Instead of making millions of Cubans suffer needlessly in the neocon-tinted-glasses hope that they’ll rise up and overthrow Castro, we could normalize relations and allow investment. Castro would become irrelevant or extinct in no time at all.

Cuban people are NOT illegals. The moment they set foot on US soil, they are legal immigrants.

They then race as quickly as they can, to get to Canada, what with the low unemployment, opportunities for small business and all, the dynamic economy, the ‘free’ health care…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
They then race as quickly as they can, to get to Canada, what with the low unemployment, opportunities for small business and all, the dynamic economy, the ‘free’ health care…[/quote]

Your intended slights make you look like even more of a dufus. I really hadn’t thought that was possible…

[quote]vroom wrote:
Your intended slights make you look like even more of a dufus. I really hadn’t thought that was possible…[/quote]

It’s simply a matter of managing your expectations. For example, I always expect that HH can go lower, and so far he hasn’t disappointed.

It’s like he’s a one-man bottomless pit.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Cuban people are NOT illegals. The moment they set foot on US soil, they are legal immigrants.

They then race as quickly as they can, to get to Canada, what with the low unemployment, opportunities for small business and all, the dynamic economy, the ‘free’ health care…[/quote]

They come to America because it is close. Do not think they would travel across the world if Canada was just next door.

Yes we’re a great nation, but Cubans leave Cuba to escape Cuba. Sure, coming to America is a bonus, but for the most part, they just want to be out of their.

As for our relations with Cuba, we really should just allow investment. Capitalism ruins socialist societies. It’s been proven in China, a thriving capitalist nation, already.

Though capitalism does not come with freedom, it would be certainly a step foward in opening up Cuba.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
vroom wrote:
No, Steven Harper hasn’t made it that bad here yet…

HAH… he’s gonna do it soon =P.[/quote]

let me guess, liberals, fuck if you’re gonna go pinko at least have the balls to go NDP.

[quote]J.Boogie wrote:
let me guess, liberals, fuck if you’re gonna go pinko at least have the balls to go NDP.[/quote]

Yay, another winner. It was just plain funny, loser. Get a life.

If you can survive in Cuba, you can survive anywhere else in the world.

I’m confused. I saw this deal with Oliver Stone on HBO. Castro seemed like really nice, brilliant guy. And Cuba seemed like a modern day Garden of Eden.

This guy Bush seemed like a real dufus though.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
I don’t see how anyone can complain about illegal Mexican immigration on one hand, and then celebrate illegal immigration from Cuba. Is the idea that the trip was dangerous, what makes Cuban illegals acceptable to you? Because Mexicans can also risk their lives to get here. I think the main difference is that Cuban immigration is perceived as an insult to Fidel Castro, which makes it politically acceptable in a way that Mexican immigration isn’t. IMO that is a pretty flimsy rationale for celebration.

Also Cuban immigrants often vote Republican, while Mexican immigrants generally vote Democratic. I guess you’d find that important.

Another thread with an infantile political slant, what a big surprise.[/quote]

You got that right!

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
Another thread with an infantile political slant, what a big surprise.[/quote]

Imagine that in the Politics and World Issues forum… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
They come to America because it is close. Do not think they would travel across the world if Canada was just next door.

Yes we’re a great nation, but Cubans leave Cuba to escape Cuba. Sure, coming to America is a bonus, but for the most part, they just want to be out of their.

As for our relations with Cuba, we really should just allow investment. Capitalism ruins socialist societies. It’s been proven in China, a thriving capitalist nation, already.

Though capitalism does not come with freedom, it would be certainly a step foward in opening up Cuba.[/quote]

Great points.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Cuban people are NOT illegals. The moment they set foot on US soil, they are legal immigrants.[/quote]

It?s not quite that simple. They must apply for and get political asylum, which is not hard when your home country is Cuba. That being said, Cubans who enter illegally can be given a deportation order (say if they have a criminal record), but cannot be deported because the Cuban government will not take them back. So, they are stay here until the Cuban government accepts the order of deportation. The fact that they make it to US soil only affords them the opportunity to make their stay here legal.

You can be sent back but the Cuban government has to want you back, for example Elian Gonzalez…

It is ironic that I am so unhappy with this country, yet other people risk their lives to get here. I obviously have problems. It is just that some of the moral, and ethical decisions made recently by leaders in this country (elected by citizens) makes me somewhat ashamed to be American.

Canada is beating the US in upward mobility. Amsterdam has more freedoms. Why do people of other countries, particularly middle eastern, hate America and Americans so much? Can it be our policies, beliefs, preaching, and imposing of our will?