Would You Rather Fight 20 Polar Bears the Size of Geese or 1 Goose the Size of a Polar Bear?

If they’re anywhere near the size of a medium dog, 30ish lbs, I don’t think the wings are doing much damage. Bears are tough, miniature or not lol. They will feel the beaks but a lot of those strikes on people don’t break the skin. There’s small chance of them getting through a polar bears coat and fat layer to do any damage.

Most people run from a goose, I’d like to see someone stand there and go toe to toe. May have to look for videos. Polar bears are roughly 1.5 times the size of a person. That goose will be big but not insurmountable. Plus far lighter than a full sized Polar bear. Geese may be mean but that doesn’t make them effective Polar bear killers lol.

1 Like

Clearly you have never been attacked by a goose!

1 Like

A normal sized one was brave enough to take on a small elephant! Attitude! It’s all about the fearlessness!

1 Like

Ok, I did the math because Why not lol. Average Polar bear is about 9’ 990 lbs based off a quick google search. An average goose is 21-43" so for simple math I go with 36" or 3’ and a high weight of 14lb. That means a Polar bear is 3 times the size of a goose. So playing with the numbers a 3’ polar bear would weigh 330 lbs vs. a 9’ goose which would weigh 45 lbs.

I’m saying I can take a 9’ 45lb bird and that 20 3’ 330lb polar bears would be horrible for the world!

2 Likes

I’d lure the goose into striking and kick it in the throat so hard its neck would break.

It would be harder building a fire big enough to cook it than anything else.

4 Likes

The mouth on the mini-polar bears wouldn’t open wide enough or be big enough to bite anything but a finger. The claws would be very short, as well.

50 raccoons would be tougher, although I was stuck under a green house fixing the irrigation pipe when a family of rock hyraxes (basically raccoons, but in Israel, here:

attacked me, as apparently it was their home.

I got the s—t scratched out of me and had to get rabies shots.

1 Like

Seven Dachshunds…

3 Likes

Technically, the original question is not really specific enough. What does it mean for a goose to be polar bear sized or vice versa?

Option 1: Goose sized means “weighs as much as a goose” and polar bear sized means “weighs as much as a polar bear.” Given that a large goose weighs 14lbs and a large male polar bear weighs about 990lbs, we simply state that a polar bear sized goose is a goose that has been scaled up in every dimension to the point that it weighs 990lbs. Similarly, a goose sized polar bear is a polar bear that has been scaled down in every dimension so that it weighs 14lbs. 990lbs is about 71 times more than 14lbs. Accounting for the fact that weight is proportional to the cube of the linear dimensions, the bears should shrink by a factor of about 4.1 (cube root of 71) and the goose should grow by a factor of about 4.1.
A large polar bear is about 5 feet tall at the shoulder while on all fours, so it should be about 1.2 feet tall after shrinking. A tall goose is about 3.6 feet tall (with stretched neck), so it should be almost 15 feet tall after growing. The point here is that Polar bears are dense. Geese are long and stringy.
Of course, as has been mentioned, in this scenario the goose would crush itself under its own weight unless its muscles, bones, and connective tissues were much stronger per unit area than those of normal geese. This is just a manifestation of the cube square law where small animals would collapse when scaled up. Elephant legs are proportionally thicker for the body size than spider legs. The bears, while short, would be extremely dense and hard to break. While kickable, the scaling down actually means they will be quite durable. I suspect that they could take a kick and keep on coming. And there are 20 of them.
Option 2: Goose sized means as tall as a goose and polar bear sized means as tall as a polar bear. This option is perhaps a little more interesting, but the goose is definitely still the better choice to fight. The polar bears, even if we mean they will be goose height while standing, will still be about half the height of a normal polar bear (about 1/8th of the weight). 2-3 of these would probably be the match of a strong and fit man. 20 would be no contest. The goose will double in height. This will actually make it slower and it will find it difficult to move. Also, although it will be 7 feet tall with its neck outstretched, it will only be around 112lbs. It’s mean, but it’s light enough that I think a fit man would have a good chance of taking it down.

2 Likes

See I’m from Manitoba where we have both of these animals and this question was answered decades ago.

3 Likes

You have 9 foot geese in Manitoba?

Also send me a mini polar bear as a pet because my wife’s cat is a fuckin coward that ran away the one time we had a mouse and I tried to get it to catch it.

We’ve got them all.

Also the most snakes in a pit. Little ones only, but still.

2 Likes

This is real to You? Lol

Here is a picture of the largest flying bird ever recorded.

It weighed “only” 170lbs or so, since birds have hollow bones. Are we scaling this goose up to the weight of the polar bear, or to the length/height of it?

This is important because despite its large size, a polar-bear “sized” goose would be outweighed by a large human. It wouldn’t be a stomp but a reasonably in-shape and strong man could probably break its wings and kill it.

A goose with the mass of a polar bear, scaled up accordingly, though, would be 600lbs with the wingspan of a fucking airliner and pretty much unstoppable.

The enclosed arena is actually an advantage to the human because it limits the goose to ground attacks.

1 Like

I took the scenario to be scaling by height, but by weight is an interesting approach.

Same here, and it makes a much more significant difference than I thought.

A goose going one on one with an elephant…

3 Likes

Geese are pretty much fearless, but would never be able to cause any significant damage against something like an elephant. Plus it almost turned into toe jam on one of those elephant hook kicks. lol

1 Like

In my hometown, there’s a college with a ton of geese on campus. The Geese were evil, just laying down in the middle of the road to block traffic and attacking pedestrians who walked down certain paths. Well my family worked with foreign exchange students fairly often and once had an Indian kid who was a total genius from a really small village over there. He saw a goose, walked up to it, and broke the things freaking neck in the middle of campus, then stuffed the body into his backpack. Scared the hell out of a lot of people, and he just thought that was going to be dinner haha

Edit: My old man (head of the international program at the time) had to tell the kid no more goose butchering. Apparently they are protected around here

6 Likes