Would This Kill A Beginner?

It’s time to change programs and I’ve been thinking about OLAD on this schedule:

Friday: bb hack squat
Saturday: shoulder press
Sunday: deadlift
Monday: off
Tuesday: db floor press
Wednesday: clean
Thursday: off

Week one: 7x5
Week two: 6x3
Week three: 5, 3, 2
Week four: off

I work out at home with minimal equipment, hence the hack squat. And I can’t bench press because of a shoulder problem, hence the floor press. I’ve been lifting since mid-November, I’m 32, 178 cm, 73 kilos.

Starting with squats on Friday 'cause if I can’t walk after the squats then at least it would fall on Saturday so there’s no real harm done, at worst I’ll just have to leave some yardwork undone and get shopping done on Sunday.

Since I’ve been doing 5x5 reps for the past two months I could probably use a change to higher rep ranges but that would make it harder to guess the right load to use so I think I’ll stick to this scheme. Next cycle I might up the volume.

Good idea? Dumb idea? Got any better ideas?

I say do it! Looks fine to me. We all know you’ll keep great form (right?)and the volume is pretty low. Tell us how you do.

The volume only looks easy. OLAD is a bitch.

Good luck anyway.

Remember to wave the weights as per Dan John’s article.

Thanks. I start with the squats this evening. Ten jumps between sets of squats, of course. Will report how it goes in my log.

A question and a comment.

Question: What kind of clean are you planning on. From the floor or from the hang? Just curious. I’d suggest from the hang (thigh level), since it would be more upper body-specific and you’re not specifically hitting your upper body pulling muscles otherwise.

Comment: I’d consider swapping the Sunday and Wednesday (or Monday) exercise, because bb hacks and deadlits are darn nearly the exact same exercise. Spacing them out a bit further might be a nice change of pace. Certainly not necessary, but suggested.

Good luck with it all, man.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
A question and a comment.

Question: What kind of clean are you planning on. From the floor or from the hang? Just curious. I’d suggest from the hang (thigh level), since it would be more upper body-specific and you’re not specifically hitting your upper body pulling muscles otherwise.

Comment: I’d consider swapping the Sunday and Wednesday (or Monday) exercise, because bb hacks and deadlits are darn nearly the exact same exercise. Spacing them out a bit further might be a nice change of pace. Certainly not necessary, but suggested.

Good luck with it all, man.[/quote]
Thanks. I’ll swap the cleans and deadlifts as you suggested. I’m planning on doing floor cleans… I’m more comfortable with those. I may do a few sets of pullups during lunch a couple of days a week if I feel up to it.

Well, it’s morning and I can walk. Or to quote Dr. Strangelove “Mein Fuehrer! I can valk!”

I’m sore today but I can definitely function. Walking up stairs sure hurts but I guess I’m not yet efficient or strong enough to really fry my muscles. Definitely gonna stick with this program, though. I really like being able to bust my ass on one exercise and not leave anything in the tank.