Would This Deadlift Pass at a PL Competition?

Yep you can definitely send me some vids on IG.

In response to…

And

I feel like there is a difference between pushing the hips open and pushing/rotating the knees out. One isn’t necessarily better than the other because they are accomplishing two different things.

Any cues that result in pushing the knees out should help if your issue is your knees collapsing inward at any point in the left. I’ve used the “screw into the floor” and “spread the floor” cues myself in the past to work through this issue.

“Push your hips out” or as Ed Coan famously said “spread the taint” would be cues I would use for getting the hips open and help allow for a bit more of an upright squat. It sounds weird, but your pelvis can actually deform by a couple centimeters given adequate external pressure (i.e. your muscles forcing it open). I actually learned that from a childbirth class, it’s a method used to ease contraction pain during labor. So if you’re able to use this cue to literally “open your hips” by a couple more centimeters, that’s more space for your torso to sit into at the bottom without having to push your butt too far back and lean forward.

Really, the cue you say to yourself doesn’t matter at all if it creates the desired result. “screw your feet into the floor” could absolutely have the effect of opening your hips, while in another person it might only make them rotate there knees out or even close their hips. This is why when self coaching or coaching others, it’s important to understand what kind of response you’re trying to achieve and find the cues that accomplish that. I could see both pushing/rotating your knees open and opening your hips helping to get a bit more upright squat, so definitely try both.

2 Likes

Absolutely true

And that’s the thing, I never had issues with my knees collapsing inwards. Screwing your feet into the floor (if done properly) should result in external rotation torque on the hips and increase glute activation, basically get your glutes working before you really need them to. And if your glutes aren’t firing on the way up then you are more likely to tip forward.

I would continue this discussion but I have to run, basically both cues are good, you just need to try both and see which works best.

3 Likes