T Nation

Would Rambo or Batman do Squats?

Would someone in there line of work need to do squats? And would it be a front squat? And i need and educated awnser please. Since im planning to be a cop when im older.

wow.

Hey man im serious, just look at the idea of the phsical activity of either of those two men, and think about how nessary a squat would truly be, and why. This is all i need to know.

Ok this is a serious topic, please don’t pass it off as a joke, maybe the examples were a little outragous, but they make the point i was after.

[quote]CountChocula wrote:
Ok this is a serious topic, please don’t pass it off as a joke, maybe the examples were a little outragous, but they make the point i was after.[/quote]

What point is that? That ficitional characters would need squats? Or that someone who would want to be a cop would need to do squats? Ficitional characters would not need squats, since all they have to do is edit in bigger muscles for a movie.

A cop should probably do squats, since most people should do squats, and since they are chaseing normal people down, they should therefore do squats.

Think of them in a realistic sense, army, cops so forth. And saying you should therefor you should isn’t reasoning, NO OFFENSE just really need to know why.

Rambo would do back squats 3 times a week. I see Batman more as a front squat sort of guy. Both of them would go heavy and go A2G.

Sounds to me like you want to find some “loophole” to justify not doing squats. Why?

[quote]Aggro wrote:
Sounds to me like you want to find some “loophole” to justify not doing squats. Why?[/quote]

x2

However, you should do them because they are a great exercise that works you whole body (if you use good form). They are great for building up your quads, hams, and glutes.

You use all of those muscles very often throughout the day. If you increase the strength of those muscles, you should be able to jump higher, run faster, and just be more in shape.

If you really don’t want to do them (and the only reason why you wouldn’t want to do them, IMO, is because your too much of a pansy to lift that hard), then don’t, but don’t ever complain about having weak legs or being out of shape if you won’t do one of the most complete excercises out there.

i see batman concentrating on olympic lifts, to develop overall body power and coordination. plus gymnastics for additonal agility and muscle endurance.

rambo would probably only do pushups all day, maybe some pullups off a tree branch.

Thank you, refreshing, SO one last thing, Front squats i think ill aim for, but um front squat and dead lift same day? im aiming for strength that is the main issue.

SO should i do a front squat and deadlift same day, for pure strength, not for looks but for funtionality?

A lot of cops are doing crossfit training. Squats are a big part of crossfit.

[quote]skw wrote:
A lot of cops are doing crossfit training. Squats are a big part of crossfit. [/quote]

Squats are a big part of everything.

Basically you should be squatting if
-you want to run faster
-you plan on wrestling someone to the ground
-you ever need to carry someone or pick up something
-strength is important to you at all

Yes, squats probably would help a Commando like Rambo jump onto his victims from a tall redwood stump and give them a good stabbing just like in “First Blood.”

I’m pretty sure Christian Bale probably did some sort of squat in order to go from being emaciated in “The Machinist” to 220ish in “Batman Begins.” It doesn’t look like he keeps the weight he gains for these roles very long, so he probably needs squats in order to gain that kind of weight that fast.

Do you seriously need to analyze the needs for squats? I can’t really think of any physical endeavor that wouldn’t benefit from squat training. Obviously a marathon runner doesn’t need to squat 500 pounds, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room in their program to put a barbell on their back.

Yeah, a coach I had who was an ex olympic 4x100m runner Adam Basil used to do lots of front squats and cleans. He was rediculously strong, just dont let your squats get slow or your run speed will also.

Basically just train each week for strength, then power, then speed, repeat. Any cop who can run fast and jump high will have an advantage over ‘the others’. So go for strength and speed. You will need to do combos of deadlifts, cleans and front squats (close stance), box jumps and interval training for this though.

I have seen plenty of fat cops and plenty of skinny weak cops. So no, you don’t need to squat. But if you want to be a decent cop, then yes, you need to do squats.

[quote]CountChocula wrote:
i need and educated awnser please.[/quote]

LOL

if you want to be a cop,I suggest finding a training program that is for football players.
line backer type.
lots of back work lots of squats,leg presses,running

you have to figure you will be sitting down in a car 90% of the time but you still need to be explosive for the other 10%
also think about this the main job of an officer is paperwork.
everything you do including and up to taking a shit is in a report.
physicaly though you need to be able to run full clip and still communicate on a radio to back up and tell them where you are and what you are,
and be able to subdue a suspect without hurting them when at all possible.

a good officer though IMO is a diplomat,they talk to people,they stop things before they happen by negoating with people,learn how to use your brain first its not the movies out there.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
just dont let your squats get slow or your run speed will also.

[/quote]

This isn’t necessarily true.

If a 215 pound sprinter can Squat 405 as their max, but when their squat increases to 495 without any increase in bodyweight, the sprinter will probably be faster on the track even if the bar in the weight room is moving slower.

Sprinting speed is largely based on relative strength. And you determine relative strength from maximal strength.

If your training is bad, and the speed that you can Squat 315 decreases, then you might be slower on the track. If you focus on speed squats and you can squat 225 and 70 pounds of chains for 2 reps in 1 second (not possible - just hyperbole) but you let your training on the track go, then you might be squatting faster than you once did, but you’ll have lost your form on the track.

A true max effort squat is probably not going to be fast. In fact, I think it’s fair to say that in most cases all Squatting, Benching, and Deadlifting done above 75% of one’s max isn’t going to be very fast.

robin wants to do squats over batman

Batman and Rambo would just train their upper bodies to be big and strong and then do lots of cardio and general fitness and calisthenics. haha sorry to be the only one to give a truthful answer.