Would Push-ups After Floor Presses Be Enough?

I’ve trained for like six years, technically eight if you want to include the years when I was 12-14, this is how many years I’ve literally gone from no strength, to around 220 bench 1 RM a year later, injury, several months off, come back to 220 RM, injured again, repeat x1000. Yes, six straight years of this, its insane. I don’t want to focus on body weight stuff because I weigh 235 and have shoulder issues, last thing you want to do with a shoulder issue is put your body weight on it, especially when you haven’t lifted in a long time. I plan on getting a good amount of my strength back and then going on the carnivore diet to lose like 40 pounds.

Yeah I think I need to fix impingement, but I can’t stand the little band exercises that physical therapists want you doing, do you think tons of back exercises would fix my impingement even if I have some weird shoulder numbness while working out my back? I was thinking just to go insanely light on chest for a while, and build up my back and rear delts and all that. Not sure if this will be enough to fix my impingement or if it will just annoy my shoulder more.

Yes, repeatedly benching and injuring yourself for six years is insane. In fact, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Which is why

I don’t think you know anything about fixing shoulder issues. This is also weird, since your plan is to do pushups, so why are you doing “the last thing you want to do”?

You could try asking for help, instead of just telling everyone what you’re going to do.

1 Like

No I was saying the last thing I want to do is full body weight pushups, I’m instead doing them on my knees and only a very little amount so my shoulder takes it slow and steady. I probably won’t even start these for another couple of months, sticking to machines for a while. I do know how to fix my shoulder issues, but for whatever reason I can’t get myself to do the rehab exercises, can’t stand exercise band back and forth boring bullsh**… I did ask but I’ll ask again, do you know of any way to fix shoulder impingement without needing to do the annoying flexy band physical therapy crap every day?

I don’t know what you look like when you bench. Or do anything. So no, I don’t know how to fix these issues without knowing what you’re doing wrong. But you’re doing something wrong, which is why your shoulder is still fucked. Anyhoooooo, best of luck and Merry Christmas!

usually… it helps a lot

also do these straight after every session where you work upper body…

6 years and you struggle to bench 225?

Honestly, if you can’t do unweighted push up, you have absolutely no business benching. You’re proving it to yourself with your 220lb bench and constant injuries.

1 Like

It didn’t take me six years of progression to hit 225 if that’s why you think I mean lmao. I started off with a 110 pound max bench when I had never exercised before and after one year of training I got to 225. Then I started having shoulder pain and so I lowered the weight, trained going up in weight but then more shoulder pain so I lowered it again, took time off for therapy, came back and got up to 225 max bench strength area within several months, more pain, more time off, tonssss of other crap. Forearm issues, back issues, getting fed up with it all and just stop lifting for a near year, twice. I never once stalled on bench strength wise, I had to stop progressing on purpose to avoid an injury.

If everything is hurting your shoulders, your shoulders are not moving properly.

Lots of times you’ll see the little band moves mentioned to “fix” the shoulder motion. Like practicing the small rehab motions until you can do them correctly, so when you do bigger, longer, compound moves your shoulder knows what to do.

The other way to fix your shoulder motion is just to understand how you shoulder Should move and do your regular lifting motions with low enough weights that you can do the lifts with your shoulder moving Correctly.

Here’s a great video with Carter and Meadows. Watch how they describe the angles you should push in and how your shoulder blades and arms should move together. The cable incline fly move they show second is a great low weight, constant tension motion that will train stability and mobility. Like a little band exercise, but less boring.

(Opinion) Machines, inclines where your shoulder blades can move freely, or cables where your back is unsupported are all better to fix your shoulders than flat benching where your shoulder blades are “pinned” or “trapped.”

Dumbbell floor press could be cool to learn how to Bend your Elbows, and lower the DBs without rotation or dropping your shoulders. And to use more triceps and less front delts in the future.

Pushups are good because your shoulder blades can go freely through a full ROM and you can learn the right forearm angles/elbow position to put more tension on triceps and less on shoulders.

I would definitely elevate the hands to make pushups easier before I did knee pushups.

You should find a good video about floor presses and pushups so you know how to do those moves correctly.

1 Like

The other way to fix your shoulder motion is just to understand how you shoulder Should move and do your regular lifting motions with low enough weights that you can do the lifts with your shoulder moving Correctly.

So you’re saying that using perfect form with my shoulders moving correctly and the “cable incline fly move” will be enough to fix my shoulder issues (on top of stretching)? From all the youtube videos trainers imply you need like five different boring ass band exercises with multiple sets and reps every single day /: I already used to do tons of back exercises but still had impingement. I sit at my desk all day hunched over.

The goal of the little rehab moves is to use the right muscles and go through the correct range of motion. The goal of bodybuilding moves is to load the right muscles and go through a proper range of motion. Bodybuilding moves are kinda like 2-4 rehab moves out together, so they are a little more difficult because there is some timing. If you do them right, they should be better.

Give it a try, maybe it will work. Right now it sounds like you don’t have much to lose.

Well my shoulder goes numb if I try giving myself a real struggle, but I guess I’ll try moving up in weight again slower and start doing all types of back movements, thanks. I think I’m just gonna train chest real light for a while, I don’t care to much about having a strong chest anyway and I’d like my back to surpass it in strength since I want to train for fighting not bodybuilding/powerlifting. Interesting to finally see someone in this thread giving me good information, some people were going off topic lmao.

Make sure you do the back moves correctly also.

All your lifts are going to go through you shoulders, every rep is a chance to make them better.

If you get pain or numbness you’re doing something wrong.