T Nation

Would I Benefit from TRT? (Labs)

Just got assessed and approved for TRT - trying to decide if it is a good move.

39 years old
6’0 185lbs

Athletic build.

Been experiencing several of the symptoms of low testosterone (Libido, Energy, moody, harder time getting in shape) so I got tested.

Testosterone, Serum 638 (384-1197)
Testosterone, Free 12.5 (8.7 - 25.1)
LH 3.2 (1.7-8.6)
FSH 4.0 (1.5 - 8.6)
Estradiol 21.4 (7.6 - 42.6)
Cortisol-AM 18.4 (6.2 - 19.4)
Cholesterol 238
HDL 70
LDL 156

My Total Testosterone is good but Free is relatively low.
Reading the stickies, I found that SHBG increases as we age so it likely takes more Total T to get produce effective free testosterone.

I have two questions:

1. Given my current T level would I see any tangible benefits from a traditional TRT program (100-150mg Testosterone Cypionate, hCG, Arimidex)
  2. If I discontinued TRT, would I be able to get my levels back up to where they are today?

Your labs are great like they are! Your natural test is higher then mine was when I started TRT. Mine was 245. And I was mid 20s when started. Dr said I had the T levels of a 90 Year old man. I am no expert here but you should have your thyroid checked out. Also it is possible to recover the HPTA after TRT.

Thanks for the response.

My Total Testosterone is good but the Free is at the bottom of the range.

Researching ways to bring that up.
Want to decide by next week if TRT is the most viable option.

I would stay far away from TRT with those labs. You should be able to make some tweaks and get Free T up.

Test for Vit D. Always low and need to be supplemented.
Test for DHEA-S. Rarely at the top of the range without supplementation. Take micronized DHEA to get it to the very top of the range.
Retest Total T, Free T and E2. If Free T is still low, do a little research on bringing SHBG down a bit. Retest.
If that’s a dead end, you could always try a very low dose SERM to bring LH up a bit. Shouldn’t take much and your T levels should go up.

Thank you for the advice.

Will give that a shot
Also researching ways to take my Corisol down.

Reduce Caffeine
Improve sleep
Reduce Stress (easier said than done)

Yeah man - your natural levels aren’t bad at all. I honestly can’t believe a Dr would “approve” you for TRT with those labs. When I was initally tested , I had a T of like 80 and an E of 90. Talk about feeling shitty, jesus christ.

Anyway, don’t go TRT yet. There are so many small things you can do to improve without further testing. Sleep, diet, exercise, etc.

-Jim

You would be unlikely to benefit from TRT.

Danazol brought my SHBG down from 50s and consequently increased my free test. My total test numbers were way lower than yours and free was off the bottom of normal and dr prescribe danazol to reduce SHBG and stop any exogenous test from getting bound up. Seemed to work well and relatively quickly as i only took it for five weeks and now just take 1 pill a week as opposed tot the daily I was doing initially. I’d try the pill route before messing with exogenous test and all that it entails.

Looks like Danazol would take a prescription. Need to see if that is something i can get.

Researching and pulling the rest of my plan together.
I do want to thank everyone for the input.

I will post my plan later and follow up with results when i get tested again a few months down the road.