T Nation

Would Huckabee Make You Vote Democrat?

“He supports a nationwide smoking ban anyplace where people work, constitutional protection for sodomy, big government, higher taxes and government benefits for illegal aliens. According to my calculations, that puts him about three earmarks away from being Nancy Pelosi.”

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=24148

I lived under Huckabee and I can tell you he hides behind his Baptist Minister shield anytime anyone criticizes him, and he friggin’ instituted a policy whereby the Schools tell us how fucking fat our kids are! Nannystatism at it’s finest.

I find very few redeeming values in the man’s political positions, but I would rather vote for a third party than any of the Democrats who appear likely to win at this point.

I just wouldn’t vote. I suppose I could vote for someone like Fred. Hell, maybe, just maybe McCain. But if it’s Rudy, Huckabee, or Romney, well, I’m staying home.

Maybe, depending on the Democrat. The right Democrat elected could throw Congress back to the GOP after a half term. Otherwise I would probably find some third-party candidate to vote as a protest - likely Libertarian.

That’s one thing I absolutely will NOT do. Staying home is completely pointless. I’d much rather make an impact, even if it’s making an unsuitable candidate lose.

Staying home is not an option. This is the kind of thinking that ruins the electorial process.
Even if you write in a candidate, you should vote.

Remember if you don’t vote you can’t complain.

50x

[quote]50x wrote:

50x [/quote]

Why?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
50x wrote:

50x

Why?[/quote]

It’s a rule. We already voted on it.

I can’t stand him. I REALLY hope he doesn’t get the nomination. We need a nation-wide primary system. I HATE being stuck with the candidates the parties put forth without getting an initial say.

If you don’t vote, your opinion doesn’t matter. Why, because it wasn’t impotant enough for you to express it in a way were peaple have to listen ie voting.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Sloth wrote:
50x wrote:

50x

Why?

It’s a rule. We already voted on it.[/quote]

Damn, I stayed home on that vote.

[quote]50x wrote:
If you don’t vote, your opinion doesn’t matter. Why, because it wasn’t impotant enough for you to express it in a way were peaple have to listen ie voting.[/quote]

I take a different route to express my opinion. Mine is to participate in lowering voter turnout even further. A demonstration that many of us are simply not motivated by the direction either pary wants to take this country.

The Republican party can no longer rely on my “lesser of two evils” vote. I held my nose and voted Bush, twice. And that earned me jack. I’m simply not going to contort myself and my beliefs to cast an anti-Democrat nominee vote.

Wake me up when hard right fiscal conservatism and decentralization is popular amongst the GoP again. Until then, they can continue to lose for all I care. It may be the only thing that’ll force them to reconsider what kind of party they want to be.

Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing a split off of the GoP. Maybe their time is over.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
50x wrote:
If you don’t vote, your opinion doesn’t matter. Why, because it wasn’t impotant enough for you to express it in a way were peaple have to listen ie voting.

I take a different route to express my opinion. Mine is to participate in lowering voter turnout even further. A demonstration that many of us are simply not motivated by the direction either pary wants to take this country.

The Republican party can no longer rely on my “lesser of two evils” vote. I held my nose and voted Bush, twice. And that earned me jack. I’m simply not going to contort myself and my beliefs to cast an anti-Democrat nominee vote.

Wake me up when hard right fiscal conservatism and decentralization is popular amongst the GoP again. Until then, they can continue to lose for all I care. It may be the only thing that’ll force them to reconsider what kind of party they want to be.

Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing a split off of the GoP. Maybe their time is over.[/quote]

So… your holding your breath until you get your way.
something tells me this isn’t going to work.

50x

Voting for Huckleberry IS a vote for a democrat.

[quote]50x wrote:
Sloth wrote:
50x wrote:

Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing a split off of the GoP. Maybe their time is over.

So… your holding your breath until you get your way.
something tells me this isn’t going to work.

50x[/quote]

A nasty losing streak could motivate the GoP to re-examine themselves. That, or it might motivate true smaller goverment candidates to abandon the party to form one of their own. I won’t ever get may way by voting for another Bush. Or now, a Romney or Huckabee. Nor, a Rudy or McCain.

A nasty losing streak could motivate the GoP to re-examine themselves. That, or it might motivate true smaller goverment candidates to abandon the party to form one of their own. I won’t ever get may way by voting for another Bush. Or now, a Romney or Huckabee. Nor, a Rudy or McCain.

I doubt it.

You could however vote for the third party candidate of your choice (lib,green,or social).

All I’m saying is cast a vote for what you believe in, then you can bitch all you want about how things never change.

You are now justified in that you voted for change.

50x

[quote]Sloth wrote:

A nasty losing streak could motivate the GoP to re-examine themselves. That, or it might motivate true smaller goverment candidates to abandon the party to form one of their own. I won’t ever get may way by voting for another Bush. Or now, a Romney or Huckabee. Nor, a Rudy or McCain.[/quote]

If only more Republicans thought this way a couple years ago when the consequences for losing a seat here and there or even the presidency as a whole would have been relatively minor. Instead the brats were allowed to run free and destroy themselves when a little corrective spanking would’ve at very least softened the landing.

On the issue of whether to show up and vote or not, a party/candidate would rather you stay home than show up and vote against their candidate, even if you’re voting for a third party protest candidate. It looks much less impressive when the winner has 40% of the vote than 52%, providing a much weaker mandate. Furthermore, it shows the parties that there exists a significant block of disaffected voters (key word here being “voters” rather than merely disaffected), some of whom may be up for grabs in future elections if the right policy and personnel adjustments are made.

This underlies why I’m considering voting for Ron Paul for the primary. It’s not a vote for a loon with to be president nor is it a vote for his brand of off the charts unpragmatic policy ideals, rather it’s a vote to demonstrate to the republican party that there exist a significant number of voters and quantity of money supporting libertarian leaning candidates.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
50x wrote:

Frankly I wouldn’t mind seeing a split off of the GoP. Maybe their time is over.[/quote]

As I’ve stated in an other thread, if neither Paul nor Thompson become the Republican nominees you will see the Republican party end within ten years.

mike

Here’s what you do if both parties offer up candidates that you can’t consciously vote for:

Just vote for whomever you were planning to vote for anyway. I am voting for Paul if I have to write him it. For me its not about party affiliations but rather who I think will make the most effective changes.

If I voted for one of the nominated party candidates other than Paul then I am still voting for someone I don’t want; so I figure, NO GUTS NO GLORY.

This thread is an illustration of the sad state of true conservatism in the United States. True conservatism is, IMHO, best represented at the present time by Dr. Paul. He may not be perfect, but he sure as hell is the best option for a real conservative wishing to vote conservative, and not just vote for someone who has the best chance of winning.

Compromising ones beliefs simply to “win” is not a good idea. Huckabee is not a good representation of conservatism.