T Nation

Would GSP Smash a Boxer?

In a fight, I’m pretty sure a prime Silva, GSP, or Fedor, would pummel an equally sized prime boxer. What do you think?

Depends on the rules

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
In a fight, I’m pretty sure a prime Silva, GSP, or Fedor, would pummel an equally sized prime boxer. What do you think?[/quote]

In a wrestling, sambo or MMA match most probably yes. In a boxing match they’d all get KTFO’d.

I hate questions like this…there’s too much to consider.

Are talking about Silva,GSP,Fedor just stepping in the ring as is? Of course not…they get fucked up. Silva might have some success because he’s boxed before…and trains with boxers from time to time. And like mentioned,depends on who they’re boxing.

Now,if you take these three and had them train just for boxing for a while…I wouldn’t doubt that they could smash a few boxers here and there. They’re athletic guys who pick up skills really quick. GSP has never been known for his “hands”…but I think he could adapt really fast with the right training. Fedor,I’m not so sure about…especially with him being a small HW…and awful footwork that he can get away with in MMA.

MMA fighters are training in many aspects of fighting not just stand up. Boxers are really just training stand up. When you put your mind to one skill that skill usually grows faster and is better than the rest you have. However, you’ll get people like GSP that are great at both who learn fast. But Big Boss said it right in his GSP example.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I hate questions like this…[/quote] Me too. Don’t ask why I posted it. [quote]…there’s too much to consider.[/quote]

[quote]Are talking about Silva,GSP,Fedor just stepping in the ring as is? Of course not…they get fucked up. Silva might have some success because he’s boxed before…and trains with boxers from time to time. And like mentioned,depends on who they’re boxing.[/quote] Yeah. I should have clarified that there are no rules. It wouldn’t even matter where the fight took place. I guess I’m talking about if it happened in the street, or wherever non-sanctioned fights normally take place. No padding. No ropes. No cage, unless they get into it at a dog park or something like that.

[/quote]Now,if you take these three and had them train just for boxing for a while…I wouldn’t doubt that they could smash a few boxers here and there. They’re athletic guys who pick up skills really quick. GSP has never been known for his “hands”…but I think he could adapt really fast with the right training. Fedor,I’m not so sure about…especially with him being a small HW…and awful footwork that he can get away with in MMA. [/quote]
Yeah so the real question is would a prime MMA guy beat a prime Boxer in a non-sanctioned street fight.

Mmm personally I choose the boxer.
You know in a street fight even the fight gets taken to the ground…it is somethin hard called CONCRETE.
If you happen to be on top…you don’t have to be a genius to take their head and smash it on the concrete 2-3times…even just pushing their head with BW on the concrete will hurt VERY MUCH SO.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
I hate questions like this… Me too. Don’t ask why I posted it. …there’s too much to consider.

Are talking about Silva,GSP,Fedor just stepping in the ring as is? Of course not…they get fucked up. Silva might have some success because he’s boxed before…and trains with boxers from time to time. And like mentioned,depends on who they’re boxing. Yeah. I should have clarified that there are no rules. It wouldn’t even matter where the fight took place. I guess I’m talking about if it happened in the street, or wherever non-sanctioned fights normally take place. No padding. No ropes. No cage, unless they get into it at a dog park or something like that.

Now,if you take these three and had them train just for boxing for a while…I wouldn’t doubt that they could smash a few boxers here and there. They’re athletic guys who pick up skills really quick. GSP has never been known for his “hands”…but I think he could adapt really fast with the right training. Fedor,I’m not so sure about…especially with him being a small HW…and awful footwork that he can get away with in MMA.
Yeah so the real question is would a prime MMA guy beat a prime Boxer in a non-sanctioned street fight.

[/quote]

Well when you make it no rules, depends which one is carrying a gun or a knife.

Put them in a true NHB match though and obviously the MMA fighter is favourite however the boxer still has a punchers chance

[quote]rasturai wrote:
You know in a street fight even the fight gets taken to the ground…it is somethin hard called CONCRETE.
If you happen to be on top…you don’t have to be a genius to take their head and smash it on the concrete 2-3times…even just pushing their head with BW on the concrete will hurt VERY MUCH SO.[/quote]

So why would the boxer be likely to end up on top of the person who trains takedowns and takedown defence then?

So I guess Tiger didn’t like getting rebuffed at the GOAT discussion.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
rasturai wrote:
If you happen to be on top…you don’t have to be a genius to take their head and smash it on the concrete 2-3times…even just pushing their head with BW on the concrete will hurt VERY MUCH SO.

So why would the boxer be likely to end up on top of the person who trains takedowns and takedown defence then?[/quote]

Because if the boxer got a good hit on them and they fell down they could topple on top of them they could do that.
I’m just saying I don’t want people thinking boxers will be completely lost once they hit the ground…and they will AUTOMATICALLY lose.
Like I said before…when you hit the ground…its concrete lol.

r u fucking kidding me? im lol’n so hard here.

they would get owned in boxing…

fedor shadow boxing, nuff said:

in fact, anderson silva’s first pro boxing match he got tko’d.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=152826&cat=boxer

anderson silva boxrec

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

to think silva/gsp/fedor could compete in boxing is so hilarious… they would get smashed.

how about a pro boxer vs a pro muay thai fighter! thats way more interesting.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
how about a pro boxer vs a pro muay thai fighter! thats way more interesting.[/quote]

Funny you mentioned that…I was playing with the idea of Masato vs. Mayweather a couple days ago.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
how about a pro boxer vs a pro muay thai fighter! thats way more interesting.[/quote]

word up.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
I’m just saying I don’t want people thinking boxers will be completely lost once they hit the ground…and they will AUTOMATICALLY lose.
[/quote]

You don’t want people to think boxers will be lost once they hit the ground… although they will automatically lose?? HUH?

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
BulletproofTiger wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
I hate questions like this… Me too. Don’t ask why I posted it. …there’s too much to consider.

Are talking about Silva,GSP,Fedor just stepping in the ring as is? Of course not…they get fucked up. Silva might have some success because he’s boxed before…and trains with boxers from time to time. And like mentioned,depends on who they’re boxing. Yeah. I should have clarified that there are no rules. It wouldn’t even matter where the fight took place. I guess I’m talking about if it happened in the street, or wherever non-sanctioned fights normally take place. No padding. No ropes. No cage, unless they get into it at a dog park or something like that.

Well when you make it no rules, depends which one is carrying a gun or a knife.
[/quote]

Not to mention other “makeshift” weapons (pool cues, beer bottles, bar stools, rocks, pens, cups of hot liquid, etc…etc…etc…), the environment (is it on ice or a slippery surface, a rough hard surface, a soft surface, an uneven surface, are there obstacles like furniture to deal with, what’s the lighting like, etc…), and whether there are friends who are willing to jump in to help if one side should happen to start losing.

And depends on how the fight starts. Is it a slow escalating confrontation with plenty of forewarning that there is going to be a fight in the form of smack talking, shoving, and then the two guys decide to fight, step back to range, put their hands up and start fighting? Or does one guy just walk up to the other guy and sucker punch him in the face?

[quote]adarqui wrote:
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=152826&cat=boxer

anderson silva boxrec

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

to think silva/gsp/fedor could compete in boxing is so hilarious… they would get smashed.
[/quote]

I gotta agree with Adarqui here. Saw interviews with Jens Pulver and Brandon Vera where they basiclly said MMA fighters want no part of boxers in the ring. It’s just two completely different levels. Pulver’s done both so I’d imagine he knows what he’s talking about.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
rasturai wrote:
how about a pro boxer vs a pro muay thai fighter! thats way more interesting.

Funny you mentioned that…I was playing with the idea of Masato vs. Mayweather a couple days ago. [/quote]

IN the book “A Fighters’ Heart” Andre Ward’s trainer spoke briefly about that.

He said he thought he could figure out a way to beat a MT fighter because they tend to use straight lines… as I recall he said if a boxer had the footwork he could do it.

I’m not so sure. In MT you just have more weapons available.

As for the original question, putting the fight in the street nullifies much of the skill that either of them would have because street violence begins and occurs in such a different manner.

The first one to get hit would be in a world of hurt with no gloves.