Would Glucosamine Help?

The following pictures shows an area, specifically a bone, that gives me problems when I barbell curl. Aside from purchasing an EZ Curl bar, would supplementing with glucosamine help out? I’ve heard mixed reviews about it and I can’t seem to decide. Everytime I curl with an olympic bar, I get an extremely sharp pain in that area, and I cannot curl to my fullest because of the pain. It’s only on that side and only seems to happen when bicep curling with long bars. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly apprecieted.

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
The following pictures shows an area, specifically a bone, that gives me problems when I barbell curl. Aside from purchasing an EZ Curl bar, would supplementing with glucosamine help out? I’ve heard mixed reviews about it and I can’t seem to decide. Everytime I curl with an olympic bar, I get an extremely sharp pain in that area, and I cannot curl to my fullest because of the pain. It’s only on that side and only seems to happen when bicep curling with long bars. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly apprecieted.[/quote]

You need to add some muscle!! Go eat!

Seriously, I doubt glucosamine will help in your case, but I don’t think it will hurt, either.

A few thoughts:

1 - The bone is out of alignment; have a chiro adjust/manipulate it back into position

2 - Perhaps there’s soft tissue damage overlying the bone; ART would help

3 - If it’s just inflammation in the area (which I would doubt b/c it only happens on a certain exercise), fish oils would help

Other than that, I would think about dropping the exercise. There are probably 100 other variations of curls, so work hard on those and don’t worry about the barbell version!

Stay strong
MR

Vince, honestly, I like Mike Robertson’s ALWAYS FABULOUS, SPOT-ON advice. (grin)

Glucosamine is a supplement that’s useful for joints. In particular, it helps in the building and repair of the cartilage in the joints. It’s most helpful with wear and tear type arthritis, with the hips and knees benefiting the most. Though I do have to say that it’s probably good for shoulders, too.

I’ve had ART (Active Release Technique) done before, and I’ve had it done by a guy who was really, really good. Check out http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=427807

I do agree with the fish oil recommendation being helpful for inflammation. But if it’s a sharp pain, I think you need to get a handle on it and get it diagnosed. That way you’ll know how to work around it and rehab it.

Good luck to you, Vince!!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll check into ART, and try fish oil. If none of those do the trick, I’ll speak with my doctor about it.

[quote]Vince12413 wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll check into ART, and try fish oil. If none of those do the trick, I’ll speak with my doctor about it.[/quote]

The doctor will probably recommend an ART after the third trip to the doctors :stuck_out_tongue: