Would Adding Running Be Good?

I’m trying to get my weight down by thanksgiving and i’m only averaging 1lb a week. I know that 1-2lbs is normal but I was wondering if running 1 mile every morning on top of what i’m doing would be a good idea. I know that intense cardio burns muscle, but will it help me lose more weight? (Fat)

I personally think fast walking is better for you than jogging - especially if you are not light on your feet. So try fasted walking before breakfast, walk some more when you get home from work, and a little more before bed.

That new G Flux article from Berardi is a good read - may give you a new idea as well.

1lb/week is a great pace.

Walk Hard.

Up hills. Fast.

If you have access to a gym, put it on the highest incline, 3.6-4.4 mph, and walk your little tush off for 30-55 minutes.

AFTER your lifts.

Otherwise, walk first thing in the morning, and then again after your lifts.

Running is good for your cardiovascular system, which in turn helps blood flow to damaged muscle, but it’s not going to burn straight fat quicker than low intensity walking. At least, it didn’t for me.

Fat people shouldn’t run. IMO, it puts a goodly strain on the knees. Besides, there are plenty of less impactive ways to drop fat.

1. high-rep power snatches
  2. frequent incline walking
  3. Tabata front squats
  4. Complexes

[quote]Otep wrote:

1. high-rep power snatches

[/quote]

x2

I wish I learned these before I dropped my weight. Might have made things easier.

Olympic lifts… mmmmmmmm.

That sounds like pure evil

I do jumprope

If you’re way over weight, then I agree with the poster who said “don’t run/jog” due to the stress on your knees.

I spent a number of years training for triathlons, and then earlier this year had a chance to work with my uncle (who is a strength and condition coach) in AZ and he had me push a prowler (maybe 6 or 8 times, for about 20 yards)…I damn near died :slight_smile:

My lungs and legs were on FIRE! and it took much less time than my 3…4…5hr bike rides did.

If you can do something like that…I think it’ll be more beneficial to ya. Examples:

1. Try running in a pool. Put on a flotation device, head to the deep end…and do intervals/sprints. Just be sure to go HARD when you’re supposed to be working. it should hurt.

2. if you have something heavy you can push or pull…that should work too. A prowler is awesome for this.

Unless you have the time, or just want to be a super efficient walker…I think your time is better spent with interval work. Or just shorter, higher intensity stuff that raises your heart rate.

but that’s just me.

[quote]m00se wrote:

1. if you have something heavy you can push or pull…that should work too. A prowler is awesome for this.
    [/quote]

ever try pushing a car/truck? I want to do this but my wife wouldn’t be seen steering it down the road.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
m00se wrote:

1. if you have something heavy you can push or pull…that should work too. A prowler is awesome for this.

ever try pushing a car/truck? I want to do this but my wife wouldn’t be seen steering it down the road.[/quote]

I do that. It is much fun!

Running 1 mile every day is too much wear and tear on the body. One day weights, one day cardio. Or do as suggested, and combine the two by doing weights with no rest.

I wouldn’t if you’re a fat guy. Running helped me lose like, twenty pounds in two months (along with improved diet and maybe a growth spurt) but I fucked up my knees for half a year. That could have been shitty shoes, but Tabata or something will probably serve you better.

I don’t think 1 mile a day is all that much even for someone who’s heavy–depending on how heavy. Running is a great way to lose fat IME.

I had bad knees before I ever ran but combining running with high rep air squats and cleans I both strengthened my joints (knee problems are completely gone) and lost lots of fat.

BTW, I’ve always walked a lot and walking is my primary transportation and the 6k I walk everyday and have for years never really did much for getting rid of my fat or helping strengthen my joints.

I’ve always done a lot of hiking on the weekends up steep terrain. It wasn’t until I added some intensity to my activities that the fat started to slip away. Obviously everyone’s different but that’s been my experience.

blue_star_cadet, I would say it’s a pretty good chance shitty shoes would give you knee problems.

[quote]debraD wrote:
blue_star_cadet, I would say it’s a pretty good chance shitty shoes would give you knee problems.

[/quote]

In retrospect, probably. I might not have been quite heavy enough to fuck up my knees running, and I was running in terrible shoes. No shoes are better than bad ones.

A few years back I was borderline obese. I lost about 45 lbs. Most of the weight loss was due to just changing my eating habits. But what really helped with the last 15lbs or so was walking up the flights of stairs in my apartment building.

It was 22 flights, by the end, I was walking up the stairs 8 or 9 times in about 25 minutes. Incredible workout, legs and lungs were on fire. If you don’t live in an apt. bldg. I would second the incline treadmill or walking outside with a weighted back pack to ease into it (running or jogging, that is).

If you’re gym has a rowing machine, you could also try that. That’s what I’ve been using right now - and love it (I’m not very fast though).

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
I wouldn’t if you’re a fat guy. Running helped me lose like, twenty pounds in two months (along with improved diet and maybe a growth spurt) but I fucked up my knees for half a year. That could have been shitty shoes, but Tabata or something will probably serve you better.[/quote]

yea if you over do it, you can acquire injuries…which is not good…

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
m00se wrote:

ever try pushing a car/truck? I want to do this but my wife wouldn’t be seen steering it down the road.

I do that. It is much fun![/quote]

hmmm, Colorado is a little too far away; do you push/run as fast as you can for a given distance, or just push until you collapse?

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
m00se wrote:

I do that. It is much fun!

hmmm, Colorado is a little too far away; do you push/run as fast as you can for a given distance, or just push until you collapse?[/quote]

There’s an apartment complex under construction near my house; I push the car around the complex’s loop (usu. about 15 minutes per loop) until I collapse or hit my intended workout time. It’s funny, it looks level from inside a car…but when you’re behind the car, every little bump is HYUOOGE. I push a Mazda3, but my husband is trying to convince me to push the Explorer…I think because it has more comfortable seats…!

I’m not extremely over weight I just dont have much muscle. My bf is 23% 5’10" 235lbs. Just want to speed it up a bit. I’ll try the walking