Would 5/3/1 BBB Be Junk Volume?

Take the one set to failure that gets programming via the 5/3/1 programming.

2 Likes

I was thinking something like, example for squat day:

Squat warmup
Squat 5/3/1
Leg press 3 sets, 8-12 reps to failure.
Then some assistance for random body parts.

Then doing 3-4 days a week, squat day, bench day, deadlift day, overhead press day.

Didnā€™t you just fucking start BBB?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not going to use this right now, this is for the future. I donā€™t even have access to a leg press machine right now.

5/3/1 + 1 amrap set of FSL. 1-2 assistance movements for 1-2 sets.

This is a 531 program. Not something I made up.

2 Likes

Would a rest pause set be a good option here?

So that is only 1 set to failure?

Nothing is done to absolute failure of course. But thats 3-6 hard sets per workout.

Example:
Bench
3x200
3x240
3+260 (you manage to do 8 reps)
Amrap 200 (you get 20 reps)

Seated DB ohp 1 rest pause set

Tricep pushdowns 1 set

So 531 can be used like this. I personally use it differently, but there is a way. There is even a rest pause challenge here in T-Nation.

2 Likes

Why not follow the advice youā€™ve literally quoted? Do a ā€œto failureā€ set as programmed in 531. If youā€™re really determined to shoehorn ā€œto failureā€ sets into 531, look at Wendlers Rest pause challenge in Beyond 531.

2 Likes

I like this, Im going to try to do something like this in a few weeks maybe.

Exactly. Wendler calls these Widowmaker sets, and I have done programs of his with this exact same protocol (heaviest set PR, then FSL PR). This would be the most similar to what is advocated on this forum, where the idea is taking sets to failure is what stimulates the most muscle growth. Wendler tends to advocate for sub-maximal training done explosively, with supersets between these barbell sets. But, he does have some programs that include sets like what eli2399 is looking for.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t you just fucking start BBB?

1 Like

Some of my personal thoughts/experiences when worrying about things like ā€œjunk volumeā€ on 531:

For 99% of us, following a high quality program that you enjoy and stick with is better than looking for a magic bullet-approach based on the latest study. This will usually lead to questioning ā€œis my workout the best there is?ā€ and leads to an endless cycle of starting and stopping routines.

Unless youā€™re a professional BBer, no one else is going to notice anything beyond you looking strong, fit, and healthy. Donā€™t obsess over ā€œis this the absolute best way to build muscle?ā€-type questions.

10 Likes

I do something very very similar. 531, FSL AMRAP, then 2-4 exercises of 1-2 warm-up sets + last to failure. Sometimes a rest-pause.
I love the shorter workouts, and the focus on one all-out set, rather than banging out set after set after set.
And I am not so beat up afterwards. I work out in the evening, and my sleep has improved significantly now with less volume.

Can you give an example of say bench day?

He pretty much just did. 531, 1 set of FSL, 2-4 exercises addressing weak points. Your weak points may be different to his.

Ok.
FSL amrap is about 20 reps?

You donā€™t think that using a more efficient training method would make sense, especially if you arenā€™t a ā€œprofessional BBerā€ and have limited time to train? Also I donā€™t know of any pro bodybuilders that do sets of 10 with around 50% of their max, and for good reason.

I ran the Beach Body Challenge, which has the 5x10 reps additional, and I would say a) itā€™s hell, b) itā€™s great for work capacity, and c) it was disappointing compared to the Built for Battle I did after that for everything else.

Itā€™s as many good reps as possible. I doubt Iā€™d get 20, but YMMV

1 Like