Worth Switching to 5/3/1??

So after a few years of lurking I decided to join the forums.

Oh hey, been wanting to try 5/3/1, but my current program is working so why fix something that isn’t broken right?

I suppose my concern is related to switching programs.

Little bit of a background: I had a hip flexor injury over a year ago due to squat form that was the equivalent of Quasimodo squatting down to take a dump. Anyway, just fixed my entire squat mechanic and now I am doing Smolov to get my squat back up, because at this point it’s, quite depressingly, equal to if not lower than my bench (although to be fair where I haven’t been making strength gains I’ve been improving my technique up and down the block).

What I’m doing now is a 5x5 program that’s kind of 5/3/1 except my main lifts are: 5x5 @ 75% Week 1, 5x5 @ 80% Week 2, 5x3-5 @ 85% Week 3 and a PR attempt every 4th week (although this depends on how I’m feeling, sometimes I need another 3 week cycle before a PR week). Then the cycle restarts with either a)heavier weight based on the new PR or b)same weight higher reps/technique if same PR. This program has worked pretty damn well and still is.

Is it worth switching to 5/3/1? How will 5/3/1 differ in terms of strength/performance gainZ? I understand I’m just gonna have to stop being such a pussy and do it, but it’d be nice to get some thoughts on this.

My son introduced me to 531 3 years ago have not looked back since , its long term and works do as written don’t modify and you will see the difference .

[quote]gsalyer wrote:
My son introduced me to 531 3 years ago have not looked back since , its long term and works do as written don’t modify and you will see the difference . [/quote]

5/3/1 BBB (4 day) for almost 7 months now. Fittest I’ve been since my early 20’s (now 41). Love that you can get the volume for hypertrophy and still make strength gains on this program. Start low and eat and sleep well. As is said lots on this forum, “It’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

Don’t do it. When you believe in something, only then should you make the switch.