Worst of T NATION: Bench

How is your setup?

It’s quite possible that you aren’t pressing optimally.

I bench a considerable amount of weight and my chest still sucks while my shoulders get bigger.

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
I bench a considerable amount of weight and my chest still sucks while my shoulders get bigger.[/quote]

When you barbell bench, do you feel it more in your shoulders?

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
I bench a considerable amount of weight and my chest still sucks while my shoulders get bigger.[/quote]

What’s a considerable amount of weight?

Im the same OP i eat as much protein in a day as I can along with the carbs etc. Last time I benched it was 80kg for 6 lol. Since i switched to dbs in January I found it much easier to progress and im up to the 47.5kgs :smiley: (this is more than most of last year lol)

Its mad how much people’s benchs suck.

I’m from England and my bench is 315 max, which sucks imo.

But i agree with the English guys, weightlifting was never encouraged or taught at school.

Our gymnasium was used as a crash matt store room…

I was kinda lucky that my dad was always into lifting and use to take me to the gym with him starting when i was about 14-15.

I think that if we were taught and given the opportunity to learn in high school a lot of english guys would be a lot stronger!

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

I kinda fell that my delts take over a bit when i bench, but ive found flat db flyes with around 50lb dbs really hit my chest good and take the front delt out of action a bit.

Just my opinion.

I feel like towel-benching helped me an awful lot with repin’ the 225lbs and overall increase my bench maximum.

As much as I emphasize towel bench , it often happens that people are amazed by how much more weight they can do by simply reducing the ROM, that they forget to do regular bench…

imho I think a good combination of both (towel/regular) will def. help with getting on the bench…

I’ve never seen anyone bench 315 for a full rep…although last week I gave this guy a spot for 140kg and he got it for half a rep. That is probably the closest I will see for a long time :frowning:

[quote]captain slow wrote:
I’ve never seen anyone bench 315 for a full rep…although last week I gave this guy a spot for 140kg and he got it for half a rep. That is probably the closest I will see for a long time :frowning:

[/quote]

Stop training at dw fitness/jjb…

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
How is your setup?

It’s quite possible that you aren’t pressing optimally.[/quote]

Dude,

Thanks for this. I will look into it. I’m supposed to train chest tomorrow so I will implement what I can.

Trying to get to 225 at the moment, its been a long fight since doing sets with just a damn empty bar!

i’ve about given up giving advice outside of my own threads but i’ll give you my 2 cents- train supramaximally. IMHO, that’s the quickest way to get your lifts to move.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]captain slow wrote:

[/quote]

Stop training at dw fitness/jjb…[/quote]

It can’t possibly be as bad as Virgin Active?

haha on par i guess… I used to train at a gym built into 3 floors of an old mill. A few national body builders came out of there.

The kinda place where you sweat to death in summer and freeze to death in winter, like not being able to grab the metal! Was a cool place with a fuck load of strong guys always tryna help you out.

I hate the mainstream places, jacuzzi’s n steam rooms, and 40kg dbs.

Not surprised there’s a bunch of paramore listening, twilight loving, skiny jean wearing cock smokers out there!

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
haha on par i guess… I used to train at a gym built into 3 floors of an old mill. A few national body builders came out of there.

The kinda place where you sweat to death in summer and freeze to death in winter, like not being able to grab the metal! Was a cool place with a fuck load of strong guys always tryna help you out.

I hate the mainstream places, jacuzzi’s n steam rooms, and 40kg dbs.

Not surprised there’s a bunch of paramore listening, twilight loving, skiny jean wearing cock smokers out there![/quote]

I can’t stand the big chain gyms. I had a look at Virgin Active when I was looking for a gym to join in London. One of the employees was showing me around and the only reason I didn’t leave after a minute was so as not to appear rude. The free weights area was maybe 10 m sq and ALL the weights in the place probably added up to 100kg. All that for £80 a month…

My current gym (Soho Gyms, a small, London only chain) is not too bad, there is a sizeable free weights area, a couple of big guys show up from time to time and no one gives me crap for deadlifting (for now). No power rack though and the music is absolutely horrible.

It seems to be pretty much as good as you can get in central London, with Jubilee Hall being possibly slightly better. I wouldn’t mind having a 3 floor mill somewhere here, though :slight_smile:

B.

Ye i’m from manchester, the guy who owns the place has run it for over 20 years and is an ex Mr Britian, known him all my life and even better when i was 16 he gave me a free lifetime membership!

check out the pics!

http://www.alzgym.co.uk/Gallery.htm

btw the way numerous benches, 2 power racks, top floor is cardio, bags and triceps… ground floor is flat benches, inclines, smith machine etc… maybe 2000kg of dbs. Anyway have a look at the link.

think its £130 a year aswell. Probably the best reason to move up north!

Looks good. The weird thing is I almost ended up moving to Manchester a year ago!

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i’ve about given up giving advice outside of my own threads but i’ll give you my 2 cents- train supramaximally. IMHO, that’s the quickest way to get your lifts to move. [/quote]

do you mean by using partial ROM movements?

[quote]CircaThursday wrote:

i’ve about given up giving advice outside of my own threads but i’ll give you my 2 cents- train supramaximally. IMHO, that’s the quickest way to get your lifts to move. [/quote]

do you mean by using partial ROM movements?[/quote]

there are several ways to train supramaximally. yes, one way is to limit the ROM.

[quote]CircaThursday wrote:

do you mean by using partial ROM movements?[/quote]

there are several ways to train supramaximally. yes, one way is to limit the ROM.
[/quote]

Do you ever do reverse band benching meat? I have a pair on the way from EliteFTS and can’t wait to give them a go.