T Nation

Worst Gym Performance You've Seen

My gym has the FUPA/gunt female trainer as well. She will work out on her off time, and it is the saddest display of slack-assery I have ever seen. Leg extensions with 10 lbs. No shit. If 10 lbs. is enough to givs you a training effect, how the hell do you climb stairs or get out of bed in the morning? And endless “toning” sets of curls, lateral raises, etc. Yet she is not “toned”. My wife who squats and DL’s heavy is “toned”. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

Yea WTF is up with old people. My gym sucks specially(ballys…ughhh) the old folks just go in the sauna or pool and get naked in the locker room. Thats their “gym routine”.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Yea WTF is up with old people. My gym sucks specially(ballys…ughhh) the old folks just go in the sauna or pool and get naked in the locker room. Thats their “gym routine”.[/quote]

Ugh, Bally’s. When I was a member there I remember going in the locker room and saw something than cannot be unseen- some old guy butt naked taking a nap on one of the benches. And it wasn’t a “sitting down, slumped over” nap either, it was a “laying down face-up, spread eagle on the bench” nap.

It was definitely not cool.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
At my gym there is a woman trainer with a gunt. Why anyone would pay her for advice is beyond me, yet she seems to always be training people whenI’m there. Anyway gunt-woman has had women do squats with there heels on a board, the tampon on the bar, and perhaps the worst form I’ve ever seen(they lower their backs more than their hips almost making a squat into a good morning) I’ve also seen her have women do lunges across the gym slipping and sliding because they aren’t stabilizing themselves. It hurts me sometimes to even look, yet like a bad car accidnet I can’t turn away. The worst part of all of it is not only does she have repeat business but no matter how louzy their form is, she a) won’t correct them and b) actually encourages them “good job, and that’s great” can be heard as her double chin is flapping in the wind.

What is a gunt?

That’s when a woman’s gut sticks out more than her c*nt. Also known as a Foompa
[/quote]

Haha! My dad has a gunt!

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
At my gym there is a woman trainer with a gunt. Why anyone would pay her for advice is beyond me, yet she seems to always be training people whenI’m there. Anyway gunt-woman has had women do squats with there heels on a board, the tampon on the bar, and perhaps the worst form I’ve ever seen(they lower their backs more than their hips almost making a squat into a good morning) I’ve also seen her have women do lunges across the gym slipping and sliding because they aren’t stabilizing themselves. It hurts me sometimes to even look, yet like a bad car accidnet I can’t turn away. The worst part of all of it is not only does she have repeat business but no matter how louzy their form is, she a) won’t correct them and b) actually encourages them “good job, and that’s great” can be heard as her double chin is flapping in the wind.

What is a gunt?

That’s when a woman’s gut sticks out more than her c*nt. Also known as a Foompa

Haha! My dad has a gunt!

[/quote]

LMFAO

There is a regular guy at my gym who will do about 40min of cardio, then sit down onthe benchpress with big ass headphons reading a book. The only way to get his attention to move is to actually poke the guy

I see these guys that walk around with there heavy lift belts on the whole time in the gym. They have pretty good upper bodies. Doing there poses and with their mean looks on there faces. Then you look at there wheels and they have nothing going on. I see them at the squat rack one day attempting 1/4 back squats with one of the stretching mats on the bar as well. Mean while the bar was loaded with 135lbs. I had to chuckle.

Watching some guy trying to squat a shit load of weight, and at first he started farting… and then it came. The steamy diahrrea that ran down his shorts and his legs.

God, where to begin?

  • The kid the other day who loaded up 225 on the bench only to kayak the weights straight off in awesome fashion. Or the same guy putting on another 225 in the squat rack and literally moving for a complete range of roughly 4", barely even a quarter squat.

  • The older, balding fat guy who shadowboxes and does martial arts moves in between sets, then grunts as mightily as anyone I’ve ever heard be it the first rep of the first set or final rep of the last one.

  • Take your pick of horrible bicep curl compensation.

  • My current greatest annoyance are the pair of guys who train chest minimum 3xs a week and then when they do decide to train legs, practice horrific hyper-extension when deadlifting (akin to if they were using the Roman Chair). Not my place to tell them they’re going to blow out a disc … But i’ll laugh when they do.

The stick figure girl that told me that I HAVE to wear shoes on the platform while doing deadlifts. I asked her if she was a trainer or if her bosses have ever deadlifted before. No answer of course.
Maybe she was just concerned about keeping my socks clean.

But here is an actual one. A guy with twigs for legs was “squatting” a decent amount of weight. Sure I can squat a lot more than I normally can if I only squat down about 4 inches per rep!

Also, gotta love the person that loads a TON of weight onto a machine only to realize they can’t even do half that amount. They do that look around to see if anyone saw them.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Watching some guy trying to squat a shit load of weight, and at first he started farting… and then it came. The steamy diahrrea that ran down his shorts and his legs. [/quote]

… yuck.

But ROFL at the same time.

ceeej sounds like we go to the same gym…

People need to learn as a general rule RoM & form > weight.

Wow, there are some pretty hilarious occurrences, here. I feel for Diarrhea Man - could you imagine having that happen to you? BUMMER!

The worst thing I’ve seen in my gym is the following: a 45-ish year old man, long, scraggly hair and, literally, as skinny as an Auschwitz victim. He wears butt-high, cut-off blue jean shorts, an old t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, and a headband. He has no muscle left, only skin dangling over his thin bones. His exercise is sitting on an exercycle, peddling away for hours and chomping down a big bag of mini-Mars bars. I kid you not. After hours of this sugar-infused physical abuse, he goes back to the water area and sweats for another hour.

Given how horrifically emaciated this man is, I cannot even begin to fathom why he does what he does. There’s no way he’s healthy - he looks like he’s starving to death. Yet, he keeps at it.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Watching some guy trying to squat a shit load of weight, and at first he started farting… and then it came. The steamy diahrrea that ran down his shorts and his legs.

… yuck.

But ROFL at the same time.[/quote]

ROFLCOPTER ATTACK! YES!

Maximus, that is a hell of a story. Reminds me of all those stories about guys pooping out their insides trying to lift too much.

[quote]Ogre73 wrote:
ceeej sounds like we go to the same gym…

People need to learn as a general rule RoM & form > weight.[/quote]

Ha, actually I used to go to a gym in Mass. but now I am in grad. school in good old TX.

I few years ago I saw this guy walking around one of the leg press machines with the rack built into it (this is actually all the leg press machines I’ve ever seen, but whatever). He walked in circles around it a few times and took a seat in it. A few seconds of fiddling and he found the release lever. He did a few knee snaps and decided that was pretty easy, so he got up and grabbed a 25, just 1 25, and put it on the rack.

He sat down again and took a few deep focusing breaths, unlocked it and did a few more knee snaps. He hopped up, amazed at how light that felt, and went to get another 25 to put on the other side of the rack. He probably did this with 200lbs of weight before he actually put a plate on the machine and realized what he’d been doing. He took a look around, realized that half the gym had been watching, and left immediately.

i witnessed this the other day at the university gym i occasionally go to when i cant do an exercise with my equipment at home.

Skinny white guy and small asian girlfriend. Guy must have been about 140lbs and 6 foot. He went on the Chest press machine or whatever is called and had maybe 40lbs going. He then asked his 5 foot 85lb girlfriend to spot him on this machine (which we all know has no danger to it, either u can lift it or you cant.)

After she refused he began doing the exercise and she would clap and jump up and down after each rep. Me and my friend were so amused we stopped what we were doing and just had to laugh for the remainder of his sets.

[quote]gsxtacy wrote:
He went on the Chest press machine or whatever is called and had maybe 40lbs going. He then asked his 5 foot 85lb girlfriend to spot him on this machine[/quote]

LOL!

a lady on an Eliptical going so slow that the digital read-out displayed “WORK OUT PAUSED”

Funny stuff there, especially the guy who’s eating mini-mars WHILE training.

Sometimes I would just ask people like that: “What do you expect from your training?!”

I have another, well you probably seen it a billion time, but it was a funny to me. At my gym, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone squat below parallel (except me, but tail-under :P, I’m working to fix this). Someday, my tough workout was over and I about about to quit when I saw a young boy at the squat rack. Seeing someone else than me at the only squat rack of my gym really sparked my interest!

He was about 17-18 years old, punk/skater style, with the cap on. Can’t say he had big legs though. Anyway, he loaded the bar with 2 plates + 10, for a total of 245. It was impressive enough, considering the average caliber of the place, to make me sit on a nearby bench to watch him discretely. Was he going to squat all that weight with good form?!

Oh well, you already knew he didn’t! He did a quarter (or more likely a fifth) of a squat as a single. I left the gym disappointed.