T Nation

Worst Gym Performance You've Seen

I thought a topic like this could be funny. What’s the lowest display of will or the worst performance you’ve seen in a gym?

I’ll start with 2:

1. There was a day I saw a girl on the leg press, pressing 40 pounds, it left me pretty depressed, I mean does she really think it will enhance her physique or even burn calories? She might as well do standing weigthless squats, the workload would have been higher.

Anyway, I thought I had seen it all, but later in the same session, I saw a young healthy looking male on the legpress machine, moving only the feet pad, no weight!! That day, I decided not to renew my subsription to that college gym, I want to see people with more drive when I train.

1. There was this middle aged housewife doing a weird shoulder exercice that I ended calling “the shower”. She just moved one yellow DB (lighter than the pinks) above her head with the elbow flexed and move her other arm in front of her parallel to the floor, and she alternated with both arms. I know it’s might be hard to picture since it MAKES NO SENSE. Anyway, picture some in the shower trying to wash his armpit while raising his arm above his head. I can’t help myself but smile when I see this, and despsie the personnal trainers at that gym too…

Watching a “Frat Curler” drop 225 on his chest when I was in college. It was great. I smiled.

Actually When I was at the gym I saw some things that were good and bad. I saw one guy with this hot girl and They were flirting (while he was loading up the bench press) I was with my brother by the db rack doing military presses and I was sure he was going to get like 2 reps on overload because he was trying to impress the girl but He pulled out 8 reps (it was 180 so it wasnt impressive weight wise but maturity is nice to see)

Ive seen some sad stuff like guys doing bicep curls with 5 pounds but mostly its stuff that belongs in the squat rack thread.

I saw a skinny (read: walking skeleton) chick doing machine flyes. About 5kg.

Wearing a tube top.

(5kg comes to around 11lbs)

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:

1. There was this middle aged housewife doing a weird shoulder exercice that I ended calling “the shower”. She just moved one yellow DB (lighter than the pinks) above her head with the elbow flexed and move her other arm in front of her parallel to the floor, and she alternated with both arms. I know it’s might be hard to picture since it MAKES NO SENSE. Anyway, picture some in the shower trying to wash his armpit while raising his arm above his head. I can’t help myself but smile when I see this, and despsie the personnal trainers at that gym too…[/quote]

You got a problem with functional training for the bathing olympics?

I recently saw a guy doing dumbell SLDL while standing on a fairly tall box. He was lowering the dumbells to around mid-shin.

At my gym there is a woman trainer with a gunt. Why anyone would pay her for advice is beyond me, yet she seems to always be training people whenI’m there. Anyway gunt-woman has had women do squats with there heels on a board, the tampon on the bar, and perhaps the worst form I’ve ever seen(they lower their backs more than their hips almost making a squat into a good morning) I’ve also seen her have women do lunges across the gym slipping and sliding because they aren’t stabilizing themselves. It hurts me sometimes to even look, yet like a bad car accidnet I can’t turn away. The worst part of all of it is not only does she have repeat business but no matter how louzy their form is, she a) won’t correct them and b) actually encourages them “good job, and that’s great” can be heard as her double chin is flapping in the wind.

Well I’ve seen some retarded shit in the gym in my time, but rather than one stupid exercise I think of this one guy’s entire workout philosophy.

For example:

He would sit on the incline bench like normal, but as he lowered the weight and his elbows flexed, he would come off the bench. I don’t mean a bit of english…I mean by the time the dumbbells are at the bottom of the movement, the only part of his body on the bench was the very top of his neck/traps.

Then as he pressed the weight, he would sit back down and use the momentum to reach extension. I can only describe it as doing the “worm” while sitting pressing dumbbells.

Now bad form aside, it is truly pathetic because he did this continually week in and out, and used similar alien form on most of his moves. I worked at the gym and so watching him weekly I noticed that he was on a split with two-a-days, hitting each bodypart twice a week. He weighed about 130 lbs and I’ve never seen someone workout with such obvious pain and loathing for himself as he currently looked. If he could effect a transformation by sheer will his laser focus would have added slabs of muscle by the rep.

It was kind of sad and I felt for the guy…I tried to approach him in a general way about his training and the volume of work he was doing with that level of intensity and he dismissed me with a wave of “it’s all in the mind” and some Arnold Encyclopedia mantras.

I left it at that and never spoke to him again. I wonder if he is still undulating through his workouts desperately trying to will his way into looking like an Auschwitz victim.

On Monday I saw someone doing deadlifts with a smith machine. I’m not sure it was a bad performance though, it just looked unnatural.

Too bad it wasn’t RDLs

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
At my gym there is a woman trainer with a gunt. Why anyone would pay her for advice is beyond me, yet she seems to always be training people whenI’m there. Anyway gunt-woman has had women do squats with there heels on a board, the tampon on the bar, and perhaps the worst form I’ve ever seen(they lower their backs more than their hips almost making a squat into a good morning) I’ve also seen her have women do lunges across the gym slipping and sliding because they aren’t stabilizing themselves. It hurts me sometimes to even look, yet like a bad car accidnet I can’t turn away. The worst part of all of it is not only does she have repeat business but no matter how louzy their form is, she a) won’t correct them and b) actually encourages them “good job, and that’s great” can be heard as her double chin is flapping in the wind.
[/quote]

What is a gunt?

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:

What is a gunt?

[/quote]
That’s when a woman’s gut sticks out more than her c*nt. Also known as a Foompa

Scrawny 40+ year old balding guy, about 5’6" 140lbs soaking wet. One afternoon I was doing chest supported row on a hammer machine with 3-45’s on each side, I get up to get a drink on my way back I see this guy on the machine, hadn’t changed the weight and was doing some kind of lower back row, much like a rowing machine without bending his arms, he was red faced and pulling with ever thing he had, certainly an easy way to blow out ones back. He left before I made it back to him.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:

What is a gunt?

[/quote]

I think you mean FUPA (fat upper p***y area)

i think its a requirement for female gym teachers at my old middle school.

Picture this.

(3) 5’-1" Asian men
15lbs in each hand
Standing still
moving their arms as if they are speed-power walking; but staying still.

i saw this for 3 weeks. but then it stopped…maybe they actually went for a walk?

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:

What is a gunt

[/quote]

Are you from Philly? The only place I’ve heard that term is Preston and Steve (radio show in philly).

Kid I always see at my gym Smith Machine benching going only half the way down at my gym. sad thing was he was spotting somebody BB benching and gave him advice to do it on the smith since it was “easier”… wow

also. kids on the JV team that is rival to my high school attempting hang power cleans but making them look like reverse curls!! I showed them correct form and that helped a tiny bit…

idk i use to try and help a lot but people wont listen so i just ignore incorrect form…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Electric_E wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:

What is a gunt

Are you from Philly? The only place I’ve heard that term is Preston and Steve (radio show in philly).[/quote]

Nope it’s used here in Boston as well

Old man in the locker room, leg up on the sink, shaving his taint. That is far worse than any bad form I’ve seen in the gym. Except for maybe the guy that couldn’t figure out how lifting straps worked. That made me laugh.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Old man in the locker room, leg up on the sink, shaving his taint. That is far worse than any bad form I’ve seen in the gym. Except for maybe the guy that couldn’t figure out how lifting straps worked. That made me laugh. [/quote]

Why is it that old guys seem to think just because we’re in a locker room anyone wants to see their old saggy nuts? Wear some freaking shorts,underwear, something you look like you sat in gum!

^It’s universal. EVERY gym I’ve been to, the old men walk around naked in the locker room. Disgusting.