T Nation

Worried About Overtraining

I’m a 6’1", 170lb and 31 years of age. I work full-time doing manual labour and am studying for a Bachelors degree part time. I also do four hours volunteer work per week. That adds up to about 36 hours work, 11 hours class time, 22 hours of study, and 15 hours of travel per week.

I haven’t done any exercise for about a year and a half after a bout of glandular fever put me in bed for three months!

I’d like to hit the weights and add some bulk and (more importantly to me) strength, but I’m afraid that with everything I’m already doing I’ll just end up overtrained.

Am I worrying about nothing? Or should I put off adding exercise to my routine until I finish my degree and am working in an office?

If you can find three to four hours a week to do it, go for it. I would use a total body plan, three days a week with an off day inbetween sessions.

Just make sure you take some food with you to school, work, etc… to help you grow even when you’re on the move or busy.

It can be done. The question is, do you have the drive and dedication to do it?

Some is better than none.

yeah you gotta find the time somehow. even 2x week full-body will do the trick. Developing the sense of gauging the other stressors in your life is important though. good luck.

You will not overtrain if you start working out.

When I was in college it help me a lot that my college offered a good gym for students. Maybe your school has one that will save you time commuting, etc.

[quote]bradams wrote:
I’m a 6’1", 170lb and 31 years of age. I work full-time doing manual labour and am studying for a Bachelors degree part time. I also do four hours volunteer work per week. That adds up to about 36 hours work, 11 hours class time, 22 hours of study, and 15 hours of travel per week.

I haven’t done any exercise for about a year and a half after a bout of glandular fever put me in bed for three months!

I’d like to hit the weights and add some bulk and (more importantly to me) strength, but I’m afraid that with everything I’m already doing I’ll just end up overtrained.

Am I worrying about nothing? Or should I put off adding exercise to my routine until I finish my degree and am working in an office?[/quote]

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
You will not overtrain if you start working out.

When I was in college it help me a lot that my college offered a good gym for students. Maybe your school has one that will save you time commuting, etc. [/quote]

The university has a gym, but it’s only open office hours Monday to Friday and I’m either in class, working or travelling between the two. The nearest gym is in the next suburb, five minutes drive away.

I ran a construction crew, also worked a second job when I could, went to undergrad full time lifted full body three times a week and went from 300lbs to 215 in3.5 months and then maintained that all at once and didnt over train.

eat right get the rest you can make your training Brief and spot on money exercises. Likely it will help by being a stree releif.

Steps make it a habit.
Phill

I also trained while having a manual labor job and college although I had things reversed: full time school and part-time work. Work was 3-5 hours a night 5 nights a week of varying intensity. I did fine with 2-3 total body resistance training sessions each week. Somtimes I did find I needed to skip one (thus the occasional two instead of three).

I don’t want to sound New Agey (cue Enya music and pan to shot of a candle by a pond in the evening) but you need to learn to sense what’s going on in your body. I have trouble articulating it but it’s a skill that can be developed and is invaluable when combined with common sense:

If your last shift was a hard grind and you’re getting a cold it’s probably a good time to skip the workout in favor of a nap… if you’re just tired of being busy and want to crash and watch tv then stop being a pussy and lift weights for an hour (you’ll feel better for it anyway).

Thanks, it’s good to know other people with such demanding schedules have been there and done that. I guess I’m just afraid of ending up flat on my back for a few months again. Not fun!

Interestingly, while on the new age theme I experienced some synchronicity last night. I was reading a book, The Motivated Mind by Dr. Raj Persaud, when I cam across the following line:

“You might need to examine how much your fears might be holding you back in your fitness regime and sporting ability.”

Bottom line, I’m gonna go for it. I figure I still have six weeks until uni starts again, so I’ll have adapted to training regularly by then and perhaps enhanced fitness will give me even more energy for my studies.