Worried About My New Routine

Got this from a reputable bodybuilding site its a routine for specific body types my type being a mesomorph. But am i only supposed to work out my legs once a week?

I have been working out on and off for a few years now, but its time to get serious because I’m going to be involved in a high level d1 sport next year. So until I decide what college I’m going to I have to make my own workout program. Please critique it a little bit if you guys have some free time, thanks 4 reading! later-

Monday - Chest

• Dumbbell Bench Press 4 sets of 8 reps
  • Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Decline Barbell Bench Press 3 sets of 6 reps
  • Flat Dumbbell Bench Flyes 3 sets of 15 reps

Tuesday - Quads & Hamstrings

• Barbell Full Squats 4 sets of 8 reps
  • Leg Press 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Straight Legged Deadlift 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Leg Curls 3 sets of 15 reps
  • Leg Extensions 3 sets of 15 reps

Wednesday - Biceps & Triceps

• Barbell Curls 3 sets of 8 reps
  • Dumbbell Extensions 3 sets of 8 reps
  • Dumbbell Hammer Curls 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Cable Triceps Pushdown 3 sets of 20 reps
  • Cable Curls With Straight Bar 2 sets of 15 reps
  • Parallel Bar Dips 2 sets to failure

Thursday - Shoulders & Traps

• Barbell Military Press 4 sets of 8 reps
  • Dumbbell Military Press 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Barbell Upright Rows 3 sets of 8 reps
  • Lateral Dumbbell Raises 3 sets of 15 reps
  • Front Plate Raises 3 sets of 8-12 reps
  • Barbell Shrugs 4 sets of 6 reps

Friday - Back

• Wide Grip Pull Downs 3 sets of 12 reps
  • Bent Over T-Bar Rows 4 sets of 8 reps
  • Barbell Rack Pulls 4 sets of 4 reps
  • Seated V-Bar Cable Rows 3 sets of 12 reps

If youre going to be playing a sport, a bodybuilding split may not be the best thing for your goals. You ought to check out the routines that are geared more towards your goals. Check out Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco.

hey fightingtiger, I was checking out westside for skinny bastards… it seems like maybe something I would do, looks like a good program. I just don’t like the name it makes me nervous. I’m still in the process of reading the whole program.

I like the fact that you can choose from various exercises so you don’t get board/accommodate the equipment you may or may not have. Thanks for the suggestion bro.

WS4SB is a good choice. It’ll take you farther in your sport than a bodybuilding program will.

Unless he’s needing sheer hypertrophy and mass gains then maybe a BB focused routine is just what the doctor orderd for 6-8 weeks and some massive eating then move to a great more sport specific program like WS4SB.

Many a folk go to a BB type routine in the off season to put on mass and give the joints etc a break from the High loads and well get the tendons etc ready for the high loads

But yes WS4SB is an AWESOME program and dont let the name fool you. It just a name and the gains in weight and size are all about the diet you employ with the program

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Unless he’s needing sheer hypertrophy and mass gains then maybe a BB focused routine is just what the doctor orderd for 6-8 weeks and some massive eating then move to a great more sport specific program like WS4SB.

Many a folk go to a BB type routine in the off season to put on mass and give the joints etc a break from the High loads and well get the tendons etc ready for the high loads

But yes WS4SB is an AWESOME program and dont let the name fool you. It just a name and the gains in weight and size are all about the diet you employ with the program

Phill[/quote]

Whats up phil, as I was reading through everything I became a little confused as to which one I would do. I think that sounds like a great idea a BB program 6-8 weeks then something like Westside for Skinny Bastards. With the massive eating part. Rite now I’m eating about 6 meals a day on about 2 hour intervals.

I should mention that it is very easy for me to lose/gain muscle and fat. I might get to huge if I eat too much I need some flexibility. I have been doing my reading though and I know you have to eat a lot to pack on muscle. I guess one of the things people do is eat a lot to bulk up and then “cut” so they can see their gains?

One more question, is it appropriate to do cardio while doing a BB routine? I have heard conflicting reports on this matter some people think it is counterproductive. Should I do light cardio work at night or after I do my weights, or maybe heavy cardio is ok? thanks for the input phil.