T Nation

World's Tallest Waterslide

Whoa…

I drove by that when I was home for Christmas. Sooooooooo many stairs. I was shocked to learn that it was a raft ride. Seems to me like the wind could get under a raft and send you over, but I’m sure they did their homework.

I’m there. Weird though doesn’t seem to be anything else around it. Love that u go up a second hill.

The stairs would scare a few people off.

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
I’m there. Weird though doesn’t seem to be anything else around it. Love that u go up a second hill. [/quote]

They’ve been building that Schlitterbahn for years and opening it up in phases. I think it should be just about finished.

Right across the highway is the Kansas Speedway, Armstrong Stadium, and a huge shopping center called the Legends. That area is turning into one of the nicer parts of Kansas. It is also adjacent to one of the worst parts of Kansas.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
I drove by that when I was home for Christmas. Sooooooooo many stairs. I was shocked to learn that it was a raft ride. Seems to me like the wind could get under a raft and send you over, but I’m sure they did their homework.[/quote]

Those walls look pretty tall if that width is meant to hold a raft for 4. It’s hard to tell with no reference objects though(like, a person standing at the top).

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
I’m there. Weird though doesn’t seem to be anything else around it. Love that u go up a second hill. [/quote]

They’ve been building that Schlitterbahn for years and opening it up in phases. I think it should be just about finished.

Right across the highway is the Kansas Speedway, Armstrong Stadium, and a huge shopping center called the Legends. That area is turning into one of the nicer parts of Kansas. It is also adjacent to one of the worst parts of Kansas.[/quote]

I’m contemplating a trip out there with my boy to ride this beast, so I’d appreciate any info you could provide on the “worst part of Kansas.” As in, how to stay out of it.

Fuck yes I’d do it.

[quote]red04 wrote:

I drove by that when I was home for Christmas. Sooooooooo many stairs. I was shocked to learn that it was a raft ride. Seems to me like the wind could get under a raft and send you over, but I’m sure they did their homework.[/quote]

Those walls look pretty tall if that width is meant to hold a raft for 4. It’s hard to tell with no reference objects though(like, a person standing at the top).[/quote]

It’s a 4 person raft that you’re strapped into. The ride is also enclosed in safety netting.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:

Right across the highway is the Kansas Speedway, Armstrong Stadium, and a huge shopping center called the Legends. That area is turning into one of the nicer parts of Kansas. It is also adjacent to one of the worst parts of Kansas.[/quote]

I’m contemplating a trip out there with my boy to ride this beast, so I’d appreciate any info you could provide on the “worst part of Kansas.” As in, how to stay out of it.[/quote]

You probably won’t know the bad part exists if you’re visiting. Pretty much the further east you go from there the sketchier it gets. South takes you to Johnson County (nice part, probably where you want to stay), south will loop you around into KC MO which is hit or miss, and west will take you to hundreds of miles of nothing. How old is your boy? They have a Great Wolf Lodge right across the highway that is sort of a mix between a hotel and a water park that is fun for younger kids.

Looks bad ass finally a reason to go 2 schlitebahns so far the park has been lame. Personally I like the giant speed slides where the floor drops out. But this looks fun I can watch my kids piss & cry @ the same time.

It’s tough to tell with no context of seeing a person or anything relative to the slide, but . . . I don’t know if those mofo’s have thought this through. I wouldn’t be the first one to take that thing (and sail off the edge – or high into the air cresting that second hill). :slight_smile:

Hell, even if it works just fine, fuuuuuuuuuck no.

I’m against describing random things as awesome.

However, THIS IS AWESOME!!!

but I’m sure they did their homework.[/quote]

Yep cause nobody ever died at Worlds or Oceans of Fun. So just give it a season for them to work the kinks out =p

[quote]crowdhater wrote:

I’m contemplating a trip out there with my boy to ride this beast, so I’d appreciate any info you could provide on the “worst part of Kansas.” As in, how to stay out of it.[/quote]

It’s actually not that hard to stay out of. If you’re in the area of the Legends don’t head into town from there (as in, don’t take the residential/local traffic roads very far inwards–take the interstate down, in or up).

The immediate area outside the Legends isn’t very bad if you grew up in a city with your head on straight and swiveling. Go farther, gets worse, but the real area to avoid the fuck out of is Troost/Prospect Ave, and that’s a long ways away. Most of the worst areas are pretty far away although I wouldn’t necessarily want to spend a night outside the Legends.

The burbs south of that are veeeeeery nice. Lots of new money and development. In general most places in Johnson County are pretty damn uppity and nice. It’s Wyandotte County that houses the worst spots (again in general).

[quote]crowdhater wrote:

You probably won’t know the bad part exists if you’re visiting. Pretty much the further east you go from there the sketchier it gets. South takes you to Johnson County (nice part, probably where you want to stay), south will loop you around into KC MO which is hit or miss, and west will take you to hundreds of miles of nothing. How old is your boy? They have a Great Wolf Lodge right across the highway that is sort of a mix between a hotel and a water park that is fun for younger kids.
[/quote]

Bingo. KC, MO has some badass spots in it (and some just plain Baaaad spots). If your boy is your mate and drinking age, Westport is a good city place to drink, Power and Light is expensive and good to drink at if you’ve got the money (Maker’s Mark Whiskey Bar has 80+ kinds of whiskey and they’re all fucking good) but has seen it’s share of crime as it sits in the heart of KCMO and the really shitty ass parts of town are not very far way. It also has a lot of the concert venues between the two areas though so it’s all good. The Plaza is a good place to drink with some cool bars as well (technically called the Country Club Plaza but that’s just dumb).

There is one really good bar that is called Manifesto. It’s a speakeasy type, with certain rules and dress code (they take the speak-easy description seriously, and don’t be hitting on women unwantedly/rowdy, but classy place for a chill night). Damn good bartenders there.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

Yep cause nobody ever died at Worlds or Oceans of Fun. So just give it a season for them to work the kinks out =p

[/quote]

Those people that died there were because they didn’t maintain the rides not because they weren’t “safe.” If I remember right both were due to seatbelt malfunctions and on the Timber Wolf the kids were changing places during the ride.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

[/quote]

Those people that died there were because they didn’t maintain the rides not because they weren’t “safe.” If I remember right both were due to seatbelt malfunctions and on the Timber Wolf the kids were changing places during the ride.
[/quote]

There have been several cases and it seems like most of the deaths at amusement parks are due to dumbass customers not letting the safety bars lock appropriately. My comment was more tongue in cheek.

The Timber Wolf used to be awesome but then it got all rickety and shit and always gave me a headache after one ride. The new wooden track roller coast is pretty smooth though. If you’ve never been to World’s of Fun during the fall for Halloween you def need to check it out. It’s a really good time since most of the rides are decorated or just dark with a bunch of fog.

I haven’t been to Schlitterban yet but I’ll probably check it out in a year or two when I go back to O.P. to visit my family. Really the scariest thing aboug the World’s Tallest Waterslide is the set of stairs. That’s enough stairs to cover cardio for a couple weeks.