World's Strongest Man

Clearly the guys on the podium would have been different if not for the split in the governing bodies.

Fingal’s fingers is a poor event because everyone was doing 5 levers and a guy 6’6’ is only lifting a fraction of the weight a guy 5’9 has to. The stones also need to be heavier to really divide up the top guys.

They’re having a marathon on ESPN classic right now.
Stumpy raynes is the single thickest human being I’ve ever seen. 5’3" and 271. It’s not fat and that’s not a typo.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I’ve been following Strongman for years and I think these guys exemplify good sportsmanship, in comp and interview. They truely are great competitors.
[/quote]

Well said my friend, I’ll second that. Strongman is probably the only sport where your fiercest competitor will genuinely cheer you on to do your best.

[quote]dlp wrote:
Clearly the guys on the podium would have been different if not for the split in the governing bodies.

Fingal’s fingers is a poor event because everyone was doing 5 levers and a guy 6’6’ is only lifting a fraction of the weight a guy 5’9 has to. The stones also need to be heavier to really divide up the top guys. [/quote]

I was thinking about this and how hard it would be for a shorter guy, but then the Hurculese hold would be easier for someone with a shorter arm span. The pillars would be that much more upright and the center of gravity would make them easier to hold into possition.

I wonder if they take this into consideration when choosing the events. Maybe for every one where a tall guy has an advantage, they make one where a short guy does???

Did you see that 400lb. guy from Canada?I forgot his name but he made the Kaz look small.Well said my friend from England,they are true sportsmen and a credit to their respective countries.TRAIN HARD Jimmy T

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
Did you see that 400lb. guy from Canada?I forgot his name but he made the Kaz look small.Well said my friend from England,they are true sportsmen and a credit to their respective countries.TRAIN HARD Jimmy T[/quote]

That’d be Dominic Filiou. Can’t believe he outweighed the last stone. The guys who’ve trained with him say he can take the title with a few years more training.

-Dan

I love watching the world’s strongest man comp. I just hate that we never get to see it live or recently. It’s always the 2004 and befor. I have not seen the 05 comp yet.

oooops. never mind my last post

[quote]nanjingldv wrote:
I love watching the world’s strongest man comp. I just hate that we never get to see it live or recently. It’s always the 2004 and befor. I have not seen the 05 comp yet. [/quote]

That’s the one the original poster and I were talking about, in China this year…

-Dan

I think the events were
Fingals fingers
Hercules hold
Log press from ground for reps
Fridge carry
Squat up to 7 barrels
“Ding” carry (chinese urn)
Stones

I would say stones and fingers are really tall / long arm guy events
Fridge and ding carry are both heavy carry type events
Squat and log press are upper/lower body pressing
Herules hold= grip endurance

All of the events are reps in time / distance in time rather than maximums.

I’d like to see a rope pulling event (i.e. you pull a boat or similar with block and tackle or truck pull as in heats), and maybe an explosive event like the throw for height?

There was an article in Sports Illustrated quite a while back about the worlds strongest man competition. It said the reason they hold it in other countries is because of all the legalities about if someone got injured. It also said almost every one of those guys admits to steroid use, except for Magnus Samuelsson. He was the only one who said he didn’t so it and most of the other guys believed him because he’s such a purist. Who was the big ex-shot putter that beat Marius last year denying him his three peat?

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
From his website:
The measurements of Mariusz Pudzianowski:

• Biceps 56 cm
  • Nape 54 cm
  • Waist 92 cm
  • Thigh 80 cm
  • Weight 132 kg
  • Height 186 cm
  • Chest 148 cm
  • Forearm 45 cm

Translated into inches, pounds, and feet:

• Biceps 22"
  • Nape 21"
  • Waist 36"
  • Thigh 31"
  • Weight 290 lbs
  • Height 6’3"
  • Chest 58.27"
  • Forearm 17.72"

[/quote]

They should post his cycle too.

[quote]BigPaul wrote:
SWR-1222D wrote:
From his website:
The measurements of Mariusz Pudzianowski:

• Biceps 56 cm
  • Nape 54 cm
  • Waist 92 cm
  • Thigh 80 cm
  • Weight 132 kg
  • Height 186 cm
  • Chest 148 cm
  • Forearm 45 cm

Translated into inches, pounds, and feet:

• Biceps 22"
  • Nape 21"
  • Waist 36"
  • Thigh 31"
  • Weight 290 lbs
  • Height 6’3"
  • Chest 58.27"
  • Forearm 17.72"

They should post his cycle too.[/quote]

Do a search on his name. His workout IS posted on his website. The guy trains like 7-8 hours a day. He’s a monster.

This years WSM was definately more american in its production values, and this was seen in the number of US competitors. My Physio is one of the physios for it. He met the guy from TWI and got an invite. apparently, Maurius is a bit of a loon!

I love it though, and watch it every christmas. It has got better and better, with better kit and production. I think the need to make the normal public realise what spectacular feats thet are performing.

[quote]dlp wrote:
I think the events were
Fingals fingers
Hercules hold
Log press from ground for reps
Fridge carry
Squat up to 7 barrels
“Ding” carry (chinese urn)
Stones

I would say stones and fingers are really tall / long arm guy events
Fridge and ding carry are both heavy carry type events
Squat and log press are upper/lower body pressing
Herules hold= grip endurance

All of the events are reps in time / distance in time rather than maximums.

I’d like to see a rope pulling event (i.e. you pull a boat or similar with block and tackle or truck pull as in heats), and maybe an explosive event like the throw for height?
[/quote]

This was in the heats (truck pull). I think they have to be a pit wary of max’x. They aren’t great to watch, and not fab for injury risk. Throw for height is sometimes used, but not this year…dont know why.

[quote]SFT wrote:
My favorite was Marunde personally, he gave Pudz a hell of a run in the beginning.[/quote]

Did you catch what Marunde said at the end - he wants to give “Freak Show” a run for his money next year. I laughed myself right out of my chair.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
There was an article in Sports Illustrated quite a while back about the worlds strongest man competition. It said the reason they hold it in other countries is because of all the legalities about if someone got injured. It also said almost every one of those guys admits to steroid use, except for Magnus Samuelsson. He was the only one who said he didn’t so it and most of the other guys believed him because he’s such a purist. Who was the big ex-shot putter that beat Marius last year denying him his three peat? [/quote]

I’m sure Samuelson ran his share of cycles as well. I don’t know how anyones body could take what they do without it.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Do a search on his name. His workout IS posted on his website. The guy trains like 7-8 hours a day. He’s a monster.
[/quote]

I was talking about his 'roid cycle, definitely necessary given the workouts he does.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
There was an article in Sports Illustrated quite a while back about the worlds strongest man competition. It said the reason they hold it in other countries is because of all the legalities about if someone got injured. It also said almost every one of those guys admits to steroid use, except for Magnus Samuelsson. He was the only one who said he didn’t so it and most of the other guys believed him because he’s such a purist.
[/quote]

I had a roomate for one year in college who was from Ireland, he was a big sumbitch - actually one of the people who got me into serious lifting, anyway he went to the highland games every year and said that Magnus and a few other WSM characters were there most years and that all of these guys would fly off the handle in the pub a couple of times over the term of the week or so they were there. I’m not saying Magnus did use steriods - he might just have enjoyed throwing stools and overturning tables in the pub.

I think that Van Hatfield won Nationals without drugs. Just a rumor though.

I have a hard time believing that Mariusz is 6’3". I recently saw a picture with someone I know who is 6’2" and Mariusz appeared to be 2 or 3 inches shorter. In speaking with the person who was in the picture he said he thought Mariusz was likely around 5’10". I thought it listed him around 6’ in his stats on past WSM Super Series shows, which seems about right when looking at him with other people.

I think the only thing about the stones that suits taller people is the height of the platforms. If it is just stone loading to a 49" platform it wouldn’t impact the shorter guys as much. I’ve never tried fingal fingers before, so I wouldn’t know, but the taller people having a better time with it seems consistent with the results of that event. Mark Phillipi doesn’t like them very much from what I understand.

Regards,

Sensless