World's Strongest Man General Discussion

Watched the Stoltmans train with Eddie Hall for England’s Strongest Man. (first of a series this week I believe) Another two guys who can be/are top 5 in WSM. Tom finished 5th in 2019, Luke 7th. Tom has the potential to win a WSM imo; Luke is not good enough in the Atlas stones, the signature finisher event.

The Scottish accents are fascinating. They have to “translate” with sub-titles when it’s not particularly understandable LOLOL. “Jobby” is an awesome new word for my “vocabulary”.

Luke Stoltman squats with the form of an Olympic weightlifter, closest to Martins! I’ve seen.

Tom is very athletic, and has the height to grow to rival the size of Thor.

The Stoltmen are Scottish so wouldn’t be eligible for Englands strongest man.

They’re serious competitors though. I can definitely see the taller one as a potential WSM eventually.

1 Like

Britain, not just England, then:

2 Likes

Britain’s Strongest has such a stacked lineup this year, it’s ridiculous. Tom Stoltman is of course one of the favorites, but Luke is great as well. Remember, he beat Tom at WUS last year.
Adam Bishop has to be the third favorite along with the Stoltmans, he gets better every year. Luke Richardson looks like a serious darkhorse. Terry Hollands seems like he’s in the best place he’s been in years. Ben Brunning has been phenomenal in Manchester last year. And there’s several more who could get in there in a good day.

1 Like

It’s a great time to be a fan of strongman for sure. So much new talent.

Meanwhile, Brian Shaw’s last 2 videos are about his $500,000 home gym, and his $120,000 truck. Yes, the amounts are in the thumb nails. In my humble opinion, Shaw has already packed it in mentally. Martins! for the win in Santa Monica!

WSM will be back in Bradenton, Florida. 20 - 24 May. So it’s soon and it looks like it will be same format as last year.

Also SBD is onboard as a sponsor.

I noticed that the competitors other than the biggest names were wearing SBD sleeves over their wraps. I was thinking that maybe they had to do that? Not sure.

I am thinking the return on investment isn’t there. IMO, he should hang it up at this point. He has already abused his body quite a lot, while being a large individual (can’t be great on average for longevity).

Hopefully, 620,000 is not much money for Brian.

The more I watch Thor, the more I like the guy.

Martins! is gonna have to make room in my bed for Thor…

1 Like

Thor is going to absolutely dominate the Arnold’s in Ohio.

Thor doesn’t need an advantage, but with the bag toss as an event, Thor is basically starting off with a meaningful lead over Martins!. Plus he has the strongest deadlift. That’s two first place finishes in the bag, pun intended.

Absolutely agree that, barring injury, he’s going to continue his dominance from before WSM '19. The fight for the other podium spots will be interesting though. Looking forward to seeing in what kind of shape Mateusz returns.

Martins is going to Iceland to train with Thor before the Arnolds. Hopefully, Thor can improve Martins’ bag tossing skills. Pretty damn nice of Thor, since he’s clearly the favorite, no matter what
Mateusz Kieliszkowski’s fans think.

Thor on grilling meat in his video today: “it’s like making love…you have to like…understand the meat you know, and then the meat understands you”…holy shit, I laughed hard.

1 Like

(also posted this in Things that make you Chuckle hahah.)

147kg/325lbs Circus Dumbbell for the Arnolds Strongman in Columbus.

Mateusz and maybe Thor will be the only competitors to lift this. Question is who else will try?

2 Likes

@strongmangoals

Martins says 275 lbs for the baby dumbbell in his latest video.

1 Like

That’s tough with it being so round, never used one like that. I have used circus dbells loaded with metal beads so I’m assuming this is equally goofy to attempt

I’m slowly getting disappointed with Hall’s youtube channel. It’s just full of fluff lately. It used to have some good content every now and then, and the fluff was just right for a comedic break, but not it feels like it’s all…fluff…

It has a fat grip too. I think 2 1/2 inches?

The fluff happens because they’re chasing views. It’s dumb in my opinion, but stuff like eating binges (total fluff) gets the most views. Basic training stuff get average views, unless the headline is some crazy lift(s).

Martins videos are great because you can glean nuggets of training information, since (in his own mind), he’s a guy who has to be on point in all aspects of training to compete with the giants like Thor and Shaw.

@whang For some fluff that’s worth your time, start at 18:00; watch the whole video for deadlift tips and bag toss tips, also great insight into how even the best have “bad” training sessions:

Great video overall. If Thor doesn’t win Arnolds, I’ll be shocked.

1 Like

Watching the video now. I’m okay with Thor winning Arnold’s, but I do hope Shaw wins another WSM just for the glory of 5x. I hate to say it, but it seems age and wear and tear is catching up on him though.

Edit:

You clown dick lol