World's Strongest Man 2017

Double dipping is only forbidden on the viking press, and for reasons similar to why sumo is banned.

This is a really good argument for him not powerlifting or being as awesome as he would be super geared.

That being said a lot of those drugs arent so bad if you arent 440 pounds. Also he was hitting lifts that would translate to WRs but that wasnt even his focus.

PL training is considerably easier on the body, its actually why I dont train strongman.

I think the most important thing we forgot is that he is currently RETIRED from strongman. I really think he will compete in powerlifting.

It gives him an opportunity to compete and set records (which he will undoubtedly do if he competes) while still being a better father/husband and while losing a bunch of weight to be healthier.

Just came in here to post this actually but got distracted…

400 fkn pounds and showing a bit of 6 pack at 6’ 2".

1 Like

He is retired from WSM, but not strongman.

That is an important distinction.

Back to Flip’s point, you dont think he would be happy in a lesser sport but he would be happy playing in the kiddy pool of the better sport?

1 Like

Stay and compete in Europe and not fly to Botswana? I can see why you’d want to do that.

Airplanes must be torture at 400 pounds.

1 Like

I would rather compete in a local strongman competition than the highest levels of the IPF. He may feel the same way. Especially since he can still make more money competing in the lower levels of strongman than he could the higher levels of powerlifting.

The only real established precedent to track here is Mariusz Pudzianowski, who went from being the 5x WSM to a lowerlevel MMA fighter. However, Mariusz is making WAY more money now as an MMA fighter than he ever did as a strongman, so the lines get blurred here.

You’ve also got Bill Kaz, who went from being the most dominant strongman of all time (for his era) to pro-wreslting…but that was because he was banned from the sport, and once again, wrestling paid more.

So really, I guess if the money is there we might see him do it.

2 Likes

I guess we were all wrong about his future in competition…

5 Likes

recent interview with Hall the relevant part…

"I could easily jump into powerlifting, but I just don’t see it as a meet sport — it’s so broad. There are so many different federations, rules, and regulations. Which federation do I go to to get the ultimate title? And if you win that one, then another federation would say you don’t have ours so you’re not the true champion. It’s so broad.

Whereas with strongman, you win World’s Strongest Man, you’re number one. Powerlifting there’s no idea who’s doing what. Probably a hundred people have a world record squat and five hundred have a world record bench. There’s no end point for me."

DAMN IT!!! Somebody tell this man what title is the world title!!!

Or Hall do it “Hulk Raw” (no shoes, belts, straps, sleeves or wraps) and then you will be the World Champion.

I get what he is saying but I would have thought it the other way around. The cool thing about calibrated plates is that they weigh the same here as they do there but with Strongman they dont even use the same lifts from event to event in that same federation.

1 Like

That’s because no one cares how much weight you lifted in strongman; they care who you beat. Powerlifting is a sport where you compete against yourself.

4 Likes

I refuse to lift in any federation that doesn’t specify an altitude so I can be assured gravity isn’t helping out.

1 Like

Don’t forget reduced aerodynamic drag at higher altitude, less resistance when you are popping that bench up.

1 Like

this is why I keep my hair so short…the beard is for improved leverages.

pretty much sounds like what I said previously. Just doesn’t want to be bothered by the nonsense involved in powerlifting.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if I can buy through Amazon or on dvd the WSM video? Watching grainy YouTube videos that only show 2 heats is annoying. Then those get pulled by YouTube anyway.

You’d think there’d be a box set or something.

WSM needs serious revamp to remain somewhat popular, televise the whole thing on a normal channel and make it a season each heat will be an episode, then the finals. I still don’t understand why they do it in some third world country. Blows my mind I just don’t understand

Televising the whole thing is going to basically be 26 hours of nothing and a few minutes of events.

WSM has always been a TV show first and a sporting event second.

And it’s not like WSM choses what channel to be on. CBS sports is the only group in the US that wants it. Mainly because it’s a freakshow sport that doesn’t draw a lot of attention and is just something to put on in the background.

Do you really not? It’s where the company filming it can do it for cheap. Either they own property in the location or the board of tourism offers up benefits to film there.

The revamp WSM needs to do to become popular is to become crossfit.

2 Likes

There is a boxset, but everyone I know who has bought it said it didn’t work in their DVD player. Region locked or something.

No way to buy it direct.

1 Like

The fully edited finals are on YouTube now, but only the finals

EDIT: Just saw full heat 3 on my suggested

1 Like

I watched this. Not 4k, but it did the job

4 Likes

Don’t know if it’ll help at all but in the UK all the heats are played around Christmas time with the final around new years day. I think it’s on channel 5.

1 Like