Worlds Most Dangerous Bike Path

I wouldn’t have the balls to ride this trail. Hell, my ass clenched up and I unconsciously tilted to the side to avoid falling off just watching.

Fuck that.

I hate heights and my palms are sweating just watching it.

I wonder how you justify doing something like this if you have a family…? It doesn’t even take a mistake on your part, just some loose gravel and your done. If you’re lucky, you’ll die quickly.

Nice ride and scenery.

Fortunately, I can make even the tamest of paths life threatening.

Just plain stupid.

Sure, this could happen to you, but hell, you only live once:

Maybe it’s because I’m a retired trials rider but it honestly doesn’t look all that bad.

^^Someone stick the “We’re dealing with a badass here!” sticker for that.

I just think that when you risk your life or limbs the other side of the risk factor equation should always be “I saved someone’s life” or even “I got lots and lots of money” not just “My friends said I was awesome”.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I just think that when you risk your life or limbs the other side of the risk factor equation should always be “I saved someone’s life” or even “I got lots and lots of money” not just “My friends said I was awesome”.[/quote]

What if it’s “I had a really great time”?
( I didn’t use the word ‘awesome’, just for you.)

I would definetely do it at least once. Where is this place by the way?

Nice scenery, didn’t expect this to actually calm me down. You do have to be a bit out of it to be doing this stuff though.

I got more scared with the crazy russians doing pullups in a fucking really high place

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I just think that when you risk your life or limbs the other side of the risk factor equation should always be “I saved someone’s life” or even “I got lots and lots of money” not just “My friends said I was awesome”.[/quote]

What if it’s “I had a really great time”?
( I didn’t use the word ‘awesome’, just for you.)[/quote]

But since it’s an equation it must be balanced and if you fall down the cliff like buddy in that second video I think your mind would change immediately.
If the risk to your life is worth it you shouldn’t live (if only for another moment) to regret it.

[quote]Nards wrote:
But since it’s an equation it must be balanced and if you fall down the cliff like buddy in that second video I think your mind would change immediately.
If the risk to your life is worth it you shouldn’t live (if only for another moment) to regret it.[/quote]

“Buddy” in the second video is actually a close personal friend of mine so I feel pretty well equipped to discuss the mindset behind taking risks like that. Miles (you referred to him as buddy) is a family guy, hard worker who owns his own business, and raises ridgebacks in addition to everything else. He’s also driven by a need to challenge himself. I would think that most people here could relate to that sentiment.

He and I know each other through motorcycling and he’s a fast rider but by no means is he reckless. He’s also an accomplished amateur mountain bike racer so he’s no stranger to that type of technical work. That particular path is one that he’s done before (it’s east San Diego county) and he likes it because it’s challenging. Part of challenging sometimes means the potential for being hurt or killed. I don’t think it’s fair that you assign your idea of “the only reason you should risk yourself is to protect someone or to get paid” to everyone else. It’s not about being an internet bad ass or trying to get high 5’s from your buddies. It’s about the challenge and doing something that carries risk is more challenging than doing something that doesn’t carry risk.

james

If you like this kind of things, I think you’ll like this video.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:
Sure, this could happen to you, but hell, you only live once:

[/quote]

I caught this video on TV a few weeks back. The guy got lucky on this one. Guy 1 Death 0.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

If you like this kind of things, I think you’ll like this video.[/quote]

The guy’s got balls in that last 10 seconds

^This makes me sweat everytime. One swift breeze and it’s goodluck and goodnight.

[quote]Nards wrote:

As a surfer and mountain biker who used to have a pet rattlesnake and is planning on free-diving with great white sharks next year, I’ve done and will continue to do my share of life-threatening things in life. But for many adrenaline junkies, what their lives would become without these sorts of risks is far, far worse and more life-threatening in a MUCH more pointless way.

The thrill that adrenaline rushes like this provide is nothing more than the result of a massive expulsion of dopamine by the hypothalamus. In very simplified terms, dopamine is released as a sort of Pavlovian response to a reward, whether perceived or real. In drug users, especially users who have not entered the addictive stage of drug use, dopamine release can happen as a result of the “reward” that is associated with whatever good feelings that drug use may result in. Although not always the case, drug addiction can occur as the user searches for that dopamine surge that initially accompanied drug use but is no longer there.

In adrenaline junkies, the reward can be anything. It can be surviving a long tube ride at Pipeline or earning a shitload of money after a great season, it can be riding a vicious Brahma bull for a full 8 seconds. Or it can simply be completing a PR snatch or clean.

For many people, that need for the dopamine surge is unavoidable. You want to achieve whatever feeling it is that caused that initial rush of chemicals out of your hypothalamus. Obviously, it is much preferable to achieve this through athletic endeavor rather than drug use. With athletes, the reward (on a purely chemical basis) is much more gratifying than drug use, and therefore more addictive. I’ve been to the extreme in terms of drug use and I like to think that I’ve experienced similar rushes from athletic performance, whether it be playing baseball at the DI level, surfing on waves that test the limits of my skills in dangerous waters, hurtling down a mountain on a bike at 55mph or even just pulling a PR for deadlifting in the middle of a gym filled with beautiful women. With athletic performance, the reward is enhanced by the extra blood flow that occurs and the accompanying surge in all sorts of nutrients and chemicals that doesn’t happen with drug use.

Any sort of creative outlet may lead to this. I don’t know how valid the following theory is, but I do know that Miles Davis experienced at least two distinct periods of heavy drug use in his life. Both of these periods came after extended periods of extreme creativity in which he literally changed the entire face of not only jazz, but music in general. The more famous of these two periods was his acute cocaine addiction in the latter half of the 1970’s, which followed his prolific electric phase from roughly 1968 to 1974. This may be a result of searching for a similar “reward” through drugs after the initial creative surge has been exhausted.

The point here is that adrenaline junkies may very well be better off putting their lives at risk through their sporting achievements because the alternative method of gaining whatever “reward” they seek may come from drug use instead.