World's Longest Bulk Cycle

Nice work. Good looking millies and Deads.

Nice work, Jim. We are very close on the overhead press. Good luck with the OHP contest!

Sooo I decided to up the ante’ and do my squat day the same as my last 5/3/1 day before I hurt myself on 4/20.

This really put some perspective on how backwards I went. I guess all in all not totally bad.

Squat (5/3/1)
210-5x1
240-3x1
265-3x1 (on 4/20 I did 8 reps at this weight)

(assistance)
seated calf raises
90-5x1
135-5x1
160-5x5

DB Rows (these are really tough with squats now, lol, getting used to it though)
100-20x2
100-15x1

Assisted Pullups
+130-5x5
+120-5x1

I do some light lat pull downs to try to isolate and trigger using the upper back muscles more, but this is one exercise that I see zero improvement in. sigh I guess being 264 doesn’t help much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lotsa volume. Nice workout there.

I figured rather than bore everyone with daily workouts, I’d save posting until I had something of substance. lol

This week was supposed to be the deload week of my 5/3/1, but since I have been broken for so long and am still feeling well rested I felt I didn’t need it, so I am using it to do a max effort week for the big 4 and get true honest 1RM for me to work off of. First up was squat, I inched it up 10 lbs at a time once I hit work sets, so ended up with probably 10-12 sets, so I might have been able to push for a little more, but my body was done and didn’t want to risk it and I am totally happy with the results.

So my new PR for the squat…to parallel… is 350. (8/3/10). :smiley:

It made me raise my 5/3/1 working number by 35lbs.

I’d be really motivated with this to set a new gym record, as it used to be 400, then 2 months ago someone bumped it to 500. lol

[quote]Jim W wrote:
I figured rather than bore everyone with daily workouts, I’d save posting until I had something of substance. lol

This week was supposed to be the deload week of my 5/3/1, but since I have been broken for so long and am still feeling well rested I felt I didn’t need it, so I am using it to do a max effort week for the big 4 and get true honest 1RM for me to work off of. First up was squat, I inched it up 10 lbs at a time once I hit work sets, so ended up with probably 10-12 sets, so I might have been able to push for a little more, but my body was done and didn’t want to risk it and I am totally happy with the results.

So my new PR for the squat…to parallel… is 350. (8/3/10). :smiley:

It made me raise my 5/3/1 working number by 35lbs.

I’d be really motivated with this to set a new gym record, as it used to be 400, then 2 months ago someone bumped it to 500. lol

[/quote]

Nice going on the PR! go ahead and post the workouts it won’t bore anybody and it might get you some good feedback.

On the squat sets, when I try for a max on squat or deads I go up by 10-15% of some where around my top end. At least until nearing the top end. That helps to limit the sets leading up to the max effort.

[quote]soldog wrote:
Nice going on the PR! go ahead and post the workouts it won’t bore anybody and it might get you some good feedback.

On the squat sets, when I try for a max on squat or deads I go up by 10-15% of some where around my top end. At least until nearing the top end. That helps to limit the sets leading up to the max effort.[/quote]

Thanks…and thanks for the tip. I’ll try that for next time and for tomorrow on dead lift day. I am just glad to have a real 1rm for my 5/3/1, my original was estimated using the forumal. lol

Also today was ruined with my weak ass bench, a nice slap in the face with reality…I NEED to work more pressing for sure.

Bench press—275—(8/4/10)

Though 1 year ago, I struggled 2 reps of 205, so it’s a gain anyway. My bench has always been embarrassingly weak. I always felt that was one of those exercises you just needed to kind of have naturally. But I am dead set on 300 anyway, at least then it will be a number to be sort of proud of. lol

[quote]soldog wrote:

[quote]Jim W wrote
[/quote]

Like “soldog” said . I for one enjoying seeing others reach there goals.It helps me stay focused on my own.By the 205x2 to 275 is damn good work in a years time .Keep it up :slight_smile:

Maxing dead lift day…failed on my goal of 505, but I’ll take the new PR of 455. (8/5/10)

Didn’t try anything over the 455, as I attempted 505 twice and 455 was a PR afterall anyway. I then proceeded to back down the weight and rep until my legs could take no more, then I did shrugs and rack pulls. haha

Not an excuse but working with a new belt as well today and my first “real” belt, took some getting used. Belt or not, 505 was not coming off the ground for me today. lol

(work sets)
Deadlifts
315x1
405x1
455x1
505x1 (failed)
505x1 (failed)
455x1
405x3
315x8

BB shrugs
315–5x5

Rack Pulls
315x5
405x5
455x5
315x10x5

DB Rows
110x5
120x5
130x4 (grip was done at this point)
100x20

Then did some random mid section work and off to the sauna.

^^^looking good

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
^^^looking good[/quote]

+1

Good work!

Military max day aka 5 lbs is heavy…

Standing Overhead Press
145x1
175x1
205x1–fail
195x1
200x1–new PR (8/6/10)
205x1–fail
145-5x5

DB Flat Bench (with Fat Gripz)
55x10
70x5x3
80x5x3
85x5x3

Triceps Rope pulldowns
80x5x5

Glute Ham Raise
body weight 10x5

JM Press
225x5x5 (very poor from set 3 on, I guess my triceps are my sticking point to a good bench)

Well I got my real maxes for my 5/3/1, so I feel for good for that. It will give me goals to work for.

I’ll test 1RM again at the end of the year.

A little much for 6 months, but these are my n ext goals.

400 squat
500 dead lift
300 bench
225 overhead press

Holy overhead press. Very nice. Great deadlifting too.

Finally got off my ass and am adding in some off day “cardio”, if you can call it that. Doing a 30 minute brisk walk started and ended with running a set of bleachers that are very close to my house. I may actually do these every day on my way home from the gym as well. It certainly can not hurt. I am sick of my conditioning holding me back. I know I could easily get 2-3 more reps on my last set of squats if not for my lungs and heart wanting to explode. lol

(poor worthless video included. First time using my phone for this and wanted to test the quality before I started it using it for gym videos)

Good work, enough of us are in the low to mid 400’s on DL that I’m thinking a “Race to 500” might be fun.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Good work, enough of us are in the low to mid 400’s on DL that I’m thinking a “Race to 500” might be fun.[/quote]

Sounds like a plan! Between that and the race to 250 overhead, I’ll keep plenty motivated.

As for today’s session…back to standard 5/3/1

Squat
205x5
235x5
270x8 (new 5/3/1 PR by 6 lbs)
225x10x2

Been working on my squat form and ditching the manta ray has helped tons! I used to start to lean over a lot when I got to the end of a set where I needed to push myself. If I was using the manta ray today, 270 would have been done at 5 for sure. Having the bar down lower on my back allows me to push more with my legs without sacrificing form.

Assistance Work

DB Rows
130x5x5
100x20

Hack Squats (machine)
180x5x5 (10 on last set to finish off my legs lol)

Some mid section work

DB Side bends
120x10x5 (grip was toast after the rows, last sets got shaky to hold on to)

Torso Rotation Machine
90x10x3

wow quads hurt, first time I felt this pain since I used to be the a chronic leg presser. Damn those hack squats!! Dead lifts should be fun tomorrow, legs are toast still. Lots of foam rolling today helped some, do some more in the AM and pop a couple Spikes and suck it up!

As for today…bench day.

Bench
165x5
190x5
215x12 (new 5/3/1 PR by 1 rep)
185x5x5

(assistance)

DB Standing Overhead Press (with Fat Gripz)
65x5x5

DB Tricep Overhead extension (or whatever they are called)
110x5x5

Hanging leg raises (waist height with legs, can’t kick the bar…yet)
10x10x5

seated calf raises
190x5x5