World Trade Center Movie

Other than the fact that you already know what is going to happen, is this movie worth seeing (havn’t seen it)

Discuss.

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
Other than the fact that you already know what is going to happen, is this movie worth seeing (havn’t seen it)

Discuss.[/quote]

It was well done. I found the most interesting part to be how both plane hits/buildings crumbling were shown from the viewpoint of being inside the buildings and/or rubble.

That said, it’s still a WTC movie, and I wouldn’t recommend seeing it if you’re already in a depressed state of mind.

I’ll pretty much see anything about 9/11 though, acts of war/terrorism fascinate me, and 9/11 still stings quite a bit.

If you don’t have any objection to films about that day, I’d recommend seeing it, it’s a good movie. 7 out of 10 on the Bauer movie scale.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
El_Animal wrote:

Discuss.

It was well done. I found the most interesting part to be how both plane hits/buildings crumbling were shown from the viewpoint of being inside the buildings and/or rubble.

That said, it’s still a WTC movie, and I wouldn’t recommend seeing it if you’re already in a depressed state of mind.

I’ll pretty much see anything about 9/11 though, acts of war/terrorism fascinate me, and 9/11 still stings quite a bit.

If you don’t have any objection to films about that day, I’d recommend seeing it, it’s a good movie. 7 out of 10 on the Bauer movie scale.[/quote]

How was the cinematography?

Also, one of the Marines is black. They didnt know that during shooting however. The guy just came forward. He wanted to try and forget about that day I dont think the movie helped him there.

Having served at Ground Zero with Search and Rescue operations from 9/11-9/15, I can hopefully provide some input when I do see it. Part of me, however doesn’t want to see it. It’s not exactly something I like to relive.

Bud

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

How was the cinematography?

Also, one of the Marines is black. They didnt know that during shooting however. The guy just came forward. He wanted to try and forget about that day I dont think the movie helped him there.[/quote]

Cinematography was good, although you have to remember that a majority of the movie is shot from the confines of a dark pile of rubble.

Yeah, I heard about the marine actually being a black man in real life. Michael Shannon did a really good job playing the role, but it’s just unforunate that he happens to be, well, as white as white gets.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Yeah, I heard about the marine actually being a black man in real life. Michael Shannon did a really good job playing the role, but it’s just unforunate that he happens to be, well, as white as white gets.[/quote]

Yeah, he’s so white he’s reflective!

For those that can stand to watch I recommend it immensly.Gives a real reality check on life.It really makes you appreciate life and knowing that that’s just one story of the whole thing.Never criede during a movie before in my life but this one is just so real and close to home.

fuck that. making millions off of a national tragedy, i wonder how much of their profit they are donating to organizations involving 9/11?

[quote]mazilla wrote:
fuck that. making millions off of a national tragedy, i wonder how much of their profit they are donating to organizations involving 9/11?[/quote]

Actually, I think it’s 10% or something.

Although, I talked to a guy in the office, who saw it and said that after seeing it he can completely support the war in Iraq. Apparently they linked it together somehow in the end notes where one of the soldier is serving in Iraq or something. So He thinks that now Iraq was definitely involved in 9/11. I find that strange and a little disturbing.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
fuck that. making millions off of a national tragedy, i wonder how much of their profit they are donating to organizations involving 9/11?[/quote]

Yes, I’d like to know this. I’m not ready to see it. As a 36 year old, 9/11/2001 was the frist and last time I have cried as an adult. I don’t think I could make it through the movie. I hope every penny goes to a charity.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:

Although, I talked to a guy in the office, who saw it and said that after seeing it he can completely support the war in Iraq. Apparently they linked it together somehow in the end notes where one of the soldier is serving in Iraq or something. So He thinks that now Iraq was definitely involved in 9/11. I find that strange and a little disturbing.
[/quote]

I think your office guy might be confused.

The Staff Sergeant marine (you know, the real life black guy who was played by a white guy in the movie) says at the end of the movie that “it’s going to take some good men to avenge this tragedy”.

Then, in the post-movie text, it notes that he re-enlisted in active duty, and served 2 tours in Iraq.

Nowhere does it link 9/11 and the Iraqi war. It just so happens that he was sent to Iraq when he chose to fight again.

Being in NY on 9/11 and watching it take place in person, I don’t think I have an interest in seeing the movie. A lot of people I know feel the same way.

From talking to many people from different locales around the U.S. and the world, I get a sense there is definitely more fascination with 9/11 elsewhere than there is here. That’s not a criticism, just an observation.

We still talk about it from time to time mind you, but not like my family members who live in various places do. And every day like today where the weather is absolutely perfect, i think about that day, but I think NYers have moved on differently than everyone else.

Again, not a criticism, just a different way of viewing the events of that day. Maybe there are still enough day to day reminders that we don’t necessarily want more? Sort of like the war veterans who saw real combat don’t really like to discuss it. I don’t know.

Maybe some other NYers have a different view they’d like to share?

DB

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

I think your office guy might be confused.

The Staff Sergeant marine (you know, the real life black guy who was played by a white guy in the movie) says at the end of the movie that “it’s going to take some good men to avenge this tragedy”.

Then, in the post-movie text, it notes that he re-enlisted in active duty, and served 2 tours in Iraq.

Nowhere does it link 9/11 and the Iraqi war. It just so happens that he was sent to Iraq when he chose to fight again.[/quote]

I can see where his confusion comes from. I unfortunately work with the guy, and know that he’s not the brightest bulb in the room anyway.

Just wanted to say this 9/11 sucks and it was a tragedy.

Now to my point. Why shoudnt there be a movie made about it? Since the beginning of movies films have been made about tragedies. We just had Munich done. But since it didnt happen on our turf and really had nothing to do with us it wasnt a big deal here. There was Apocolypse Now, Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, All Quite On The Western Front, etc. that capitalized on tragedy. Thats how it goes.

Being a stones throw away from NYC and having an exgirlfriend’s brother (NYPD: beat financial district) at ground zero for a week I was affected enveloped in it all. Try consoling a girlfriend who’s brother has not called for a day and a half when his beat is a war zone, its not easy.

Having this film being made is no big deal. Its not glorifying anything. Its trying to stick to the facts (except I dont know how they didnt know one of the marines was black) and its not embelishing much. Its giving people a sense of what it was to be there and what went on. It most definitely is going to hit home for some, just like Munich, Saving Private Ryan and The Day After Tomorrow, I kid about the last one.

If a movie had been made where it celebrates 9/11 be pissed but not at something like this. Its like its almost become taboo to talk about it. It happened why forget it? Its like the activists who tried to get the WTC buildings digitally removed from a bunch of films. Why? Its doing a great diservice to the people that lost their lives and the ones who risked it to save some.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Just wanted to say this 9/11 sucks and it was a tragedy.

Now to my point. Why shoudnt there be a movie made about it? Since the beginning of movies films have been made about tragedies. We just had Munich done. But since it didnt happen on our turf and really had nothing to do with us it wasnt a big deal here. There was Apocolypse Now, Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, All Quite On The Western Front, etc. that capitalized on tragedy. Thats how it goes.

Being a stones throw away from NYC and having an exgirlfriend’s brother (NYPD: beat financial district) at ground zero for a week I was affected enveloped in it all. Try consoling a girlfriend who’s brother has not called for a day and a half when his beat is a war zone, its not easy.

Having this film being made is no big deal. Its not glorifying anything. Its trying to stick to the facts (except I dont know how they didnt know one of the marines was black) and its not embelishing much. Its giving people a sense of what it was to be there and what went on. It most definitely is going to hit home for some, just like Munich, Saving Private Ryan and The Day After Tomorrow, I kid about the last one.

If a movie had been made where it celebrates 9/11 be pissed but not at something like this. Its like its almost become taboo to talk about it. It happened why forget it? Its like the activists who tried to get the WTC buildings digitally removed from a bunch of films. Why? Its doing a great diservice to the people that lost their lives and the ones who risked it to save some.[/quote]

Well said PGA. It’s important to be reminded where we’ve been in order to know where we’re going.
It’s a part of who we are as Americans and supressing it only serves to damage its importance in history. Of course, there’s a fine line between reminders and exploitation. That’s the Americana we don’t need.

A part of me has always kept it bottled up due to the whole event not being about me. I always remind myself that although I was there, and didn’t stop for 4 1/2 days straight, I ultimately didn’t lose a loved one in the incident. I only wish I and my team could have found or saved just one person…that part is hard.

Bud

A movie made about the event that was the catalyst for a war that is still going on.

It is bullshit. It’s about the money, and the cocksuckers in Hollywood making a buck off this thing. I would have waited quite a bit longer.

Besides this, it is far too easy to make this into propaganda for the current war, stirring emotions and confusing morons like the guy that one of the previous posters works with, the one who, now that he saw the movie, is convinced Iraq was involved…are you fucking kidding me?

Not too mention it seems cliched as hell…nothing like Nicholas Cage yelling, “Who’s comin with me?” and having some guys hesitate, then some brave young soul say , “I am Sarge”, and then the rest follow. C’mon. Gimme a break Hollywood.

All in all I am disgusted at the entire thing, and I won’t contribute my money to it. Just my thoughts.

[quote]El_Animal wrote:

Discuss.
[/quote]

If you don’t go to see this movie and support hollywood then the terrorists win.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
El_Animal wrote:

Discuss.

If you don’t go to see this movie and support hollywood then the terrorists win.[/quote]

OOOOOOOk

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Irish.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
A movie made about the event that was the catalyst for a war that is still going on.

It is bullshit. It’s about the money, and the cocksuckers in Hollywood making a buck off this thing. I would have waited quite a bit longer.

Besides this, it is far too easy to make this into propaganda for the current war, stirring emotions and confusing morons like the guy that one of the previous posters works with, the one who, now that he saw the movie, is convinced Iraq was involved…are you fucking kidding me?

Not too mention it seems cliched as hell…nothing like Nicholas Cage yelling, “Who’s comin with me?” and having some guys hesitate, then some brave young soul say , “I am Sarge”, and then the rest follow. C’mon. Gimme a break Hollywood.

All in all I am disgusted at the entire thing, and I won’t contribute my money to it. Just my thoughts.[/quote]

You make some valid comments Irish, especially the Iraq issue. I can see this movie serving to support Bush and his band of bafoons, which outright blows.

It’s time to make $$$ and further agends. Propaganda films are nothing new. We’ve been making them since before WW2 to rally public support. In our social evolution, we’ve got the steering of public opinion down to a science. Mix facts and half truths, a little lie here and there served on a platter of appealing to basic human emotions makes a very pallatable meal.