World Series of Poker

What side do you guys use to play?

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Does anyone know the amount of chips you start with, how long they play before breaks, how many people make the money? [/quote]

For the 1500.00 event on June 20:

“Players begin with $4,500 in Tournament Chips. All levels will last 60 minutes. Breaks will be every two levels and last 20 minutes. Dinner break will be at the end of level 6 and last 90 minutes. Play will continue on Day 1 until the completion of level 10. Play will resume at 2 PM on June 21, 2009, and play down to the final table. Day 3: Final Table at 2 PM. 6.3% of the total entry pool will be withheld for entry fees, and 2.7% of the total entry pool will be withheld for tournament staff.”

It’s a long day, but if you are used to playing long sessions shouldn’t be a problem.

[quote]sundevil65 wrote:
What side do you guys use to play?[/quote]

Do you mean site? I used to play on Full Tilt, and still do occasionally. I dont play online much because I enjoy the social aspects of poker a lot and prefer live games.

Funny story - a few years back my good friend had a summer internship at Full Tilt. One day he calls me and tells me that he just got off the phone with Matt from T-Nation (LowfatMatt).

Apparently, he called to ask about Full Tilt setting up a poker client for T-Nation. Never came to fruition, obviously, but just goes to show you how much TC and the TMUSCLE boys love poker.

Took that DT quiz earlier today…and was reminded why I don’t play much NLHE. Fun quiz though.

I’m also on Full Tilt, usually playing omaha 8/b or trying to make a four-figure score in a medium buy-in tourney.

Update on buddy playing in tournament…wait for it…he’s out!

Got busted out the last hand before the dinner break. He had abot 2K chips and a guy ‘who had been going all in a bunch with some suspect hands’ goeas all in. My friend had wired 7s and was fine until the turn. The other guy had 9 10 and hit a 9. Blinds were going to be 300/600 with a 50 ante when they returned from the break so he would have been able to see 20 more hands.

He played at 5 different tables during the day. His first table had the 2006 player of they year and another guy with a bracelet. I am horrible with names. Then he played with that bitch from the 2008 WSOP that called that ridiculus clock move towards the end. I can’t remember her name but comes off as a bitch.

Anyways, still trying to figure out if I will be there on the 20th…4500 chips seems like a small amount. I guess not with 2800 people in a tournament.

Thanks for the heads up on the starting chip and payouts.

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Got busted out the last hand before the dinner break. He had abot 2K chips and a guy ‘who had been going all in a bunch with some suspect hands’ goeas all in. My friend had wired 7s and was fine until the turn. The other guy had 9 10 and hit a 9. Blinds were going to be 300/600 with a 50 ante when they returned from the break so he would have been able to see 20 more hands.

He played at 5 different tables during the day. His first table had the 2006 player of they year and another guy with a bracelet. I am horrible with names. Then he played with that bitch from the 2008 WSOP that called that ridiculus clock move towards the end. I can’t remember her name but comes off as a bitch.

Anyways, still trying to figure out if I will be there on the 20th…4500 chips seems like a small amount. I guess not with 2800 people in a tournament.

Thanks for the heads up on the starting chip and payouts. [/quote]

That sucks about your buddy. That hand plays out any other way and he’s in a strong position to last until the money.

The girl you’re talking about is Tiffany Michelle, I think.

I am just about to book my flight and room. Heading down the 26th, tourn is 27th, 28th, and 29th. So pumped.

[quote]John Roman wrote:
JGerman wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the starting chip and payouts.

That sucks about your buddy. That hand plays out any other way and he’s in a strong position to last until the money.

The girl you’re talking about is Tiffany Michelle, I think.

I am just about to book my flight and room. Heading down the 26th, tourn is 27th, 28th, and 29th. So pumped. [/quote]

That be she! I don’t think it was a bad move at all. He was going to have to make a move soon. It might have been able to make the money like you said. I found the update info about the tournament and the prize pool is 3. 5 mill after the 10% (i think). Still looking at a package at Mandalay/air for the tourney on the 20th.

It is alot to be excited about.

Here is the infor from wsop.com about the current 1500. I didn’t know they update them like this…

That’s a Wrap - Day 1 Complete
Day 1 of the $1,500 No-Limit Hold 'em event has come to an end. And what a day it was. 2,971 players kicked off the event and, when play ended for the night, just 338 remain. It will be a short trip to the money when the players return at 2PM tomorrow, as 297 will get paid. A lot of big names didn’t make it to the money, with players such as Chris Ferguson, John Juanda, Justin Bonomo, Freddy Deeb, Vanessa Rousso, and David Singer all busting fairly early in the day. Not all of the name players are gone though, with folks like Brandon Cantu, Shaun Deeb, Alex Jacob, Lee Childs, Jim Meehan, and Grant Hinkle all returning for Day 2. The five big stacks returning tomorrow belong to: Victor Greely - 195,300 Jerry “Mike” Fowler - 183,200 Gary Tang - 145,300 Jacob Fernandez - 123,000 Paul Dominski - 102,300 We’ll be here too when play resumes, so be sure to follow the all of the action starting at 2PM.

I just made a final table cash in the night hundred thousand on PStars and scooped up 8 grand.

I may try and sneak over to Vegas for one of the 1500 NL events. I have to see if it will work with my teaching schedule this summer, and how the fiance feels about my up and leaving.

I love watching the WSOP but have nowhere near the bankroll for the trip/participation yet… What would you guys who are actually winning players at med/high stakes say is the biggest mistake solid but new players make in tournament poker?

[quote]jimmybango wrote:
I just made a final table cash in the night hundred thousand on PStars and scooped up 8 grand.

I may try and sneak over to Vegas for one of the 1500 NL events. I have to see if it will work with my teaching schedule this summer, and how the fiance feels about my up and leaving.

[/quote]

Awesome dude, well done! The last 1500 events are on the 20th, 27th, and 29th. Let us know what you do, and how you do.

[quote]John Roman wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

Awesome dude, well done! The last 1500 events are on the 20th, 27th, and 29th. Let us know what you do, and how you do.[/quote]

I think you said you were playing in the June 20th one…do you plan to play in any others?

Actually initially I said I was going to play in the one on the 27th. But now the situation has changed and I am contemplating playing the 20th instead.

Between hotel and airfair, if I go the 19th I will save about 200 bucks versus going on the 26th.

So I’m up in the air about it.

To answer the question, if I do well in the first one I play in, I’ll probably play in another. Obviously if I have really big cash (like 100k) I’d play in the main event, just to feel the experience.

[quote]jimmybango wrote:

[/quote]

That’s great - well done!

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

That’s great - well done![/quote]

Thanks bro…it was fucking exhilarating as shit.

[quote]John Roman wrote:
Actually initially I said I was going to play in the one on the 27th. But now the situation has changed and I am contemplating playing the 20th instead.

Between hotel and airfair, if I go the 19th I will save about 200 bucks versus going on the 26th.

So I’m up in the air about it.
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the one I’m gunning for to. Where are you staying and what was your hotel + air?

[quote]jimmybango wrote:

Yeah, that’s the one I’m gunning for to. Where are you staying and what was your hotel + air?[/quote]

the 27th you mean?

Either tourn I play in, I’ll be staying at the Orleans. Not the nicest hotel, but I’m going for the tourn, not for Vegas, and it’s right across the street from the Rio.

If I go 19th-22nd: it’s 224 for all 3 nights. The airfair is going to be 199.00 to fly out, 139.00 to go home.

If I go 26th-29th, the room 255 or so. Flight out 229.00 and flight home 199.00

I’m leaning towards the 27th just because its gives me more time to prep, even if it is a bit more expensive. Plus I still have time to pre-register, which just makes life a bit easier.

[quote]John Roman wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

Yeah, that’s the one I’m gunning for to. Where are you staying and what was your hotel + air?

the 27th you mean?

Either tourn I play in, I’ll be staying at the Orleans. Not the nicest hotel, but I’m going for the tourn, not for Vegas, and it’s right across the street from the Rio.

If I go 19th-22nd: it’s 224 for all 3 nights. The airfair is going to be 199.00 to fly out, 139.00 to go home.

I’m leaning towards the 27th just because its gives me more time to prep, even if it is a bit more expensive. Plus I still have time to pre-register, which just makes life a bit easier.[/quote]

Thanks for the info on the hotel. I would likely do the same, go for the tourny, not for Vegas. Are you looking at two one-way tickets (because your return date is not fixed)? Is is still too late to pre-register for the June 20th tourny?

If I go, I will not be the 27th as that is my fiance’s birthday and I’m already having a difficult time selling the 20th…

[quote]jimmybango wrote:
John Roman wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

the 27th you mean?

I’m leaning towards the 27th just because its gives me more time to prep, even if it is a bit more expensive. Plus I still have time to pre-register, which just makes life a bit easier.

Thanks for the info on the hotel. I would likely do the same, go for the tourny, not for Vegas. Are you looking at two one-way tickets (because your return date is not fixed)? Is is still too late to pre-register for the June 20th tourny?

If I go, I will not be the 27th as that is my fiance’s birthday and I’m already having a difficult time selling the 20th… [/quote]

Nah, I’m just going to get round trip. Assuming I bust out early, I will probably just stay and play some cash games, perhaps win my buy-in back.

It’s too late to pre-reg for the 20th, yes. Today was the last day, so you’d really have to get a move on.

However, I called in and apparently you can register as late as the morning of the event. They do cap it, but they always have a reserve list (one person busts out, they put someone from the list in; i believe they do this for the first two levels on play.) The rep on the phone told me that as long I came straight from the airport to the Rio to register the day before, I’d be 95% guaranteed a seat at the start, and 100% guaranteed a spot on the reserve list.

[quote]John Roman wrote:
jimmybango wrote:
John Roman wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

the 27th you mean?

If I go, I will not be the 27th as that is my fiance’s birthday and I’m already having a difficult time selling the 20th…

Nah, I’m just going to get round trip. Assuming I bust out early, I will probably just stay and play some cash games, perhaps win my buy-in back.

It’s too late to pre-reg for the 20th, yes. Today was the last day, so you’d really have to get a move on.

However, I called in and apparently you can register as late as the morning of the event. They do cap it, but they always have a reserve list (one person busts out, they put someone from the list in; i believe they do this for the first two levels on play.) The rep on the phone told me that as long I came straight from the airport to the Rio to register the day before, I’d be 95% guaranteed a seat at the start, and 100% guaranteed a spot on the reserve list.

[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve played in a tournament before with that damn reserve list. I’d like to avoid that if at all possible. Shit, it’s already a long shot for me to do extremely well, so I’d rather not handicap myself any more than I have to…haha

I was just looking at hotel deals online…vegas view I think…and found Orleans for like $150 total for those 3 nights. You might want to look into it. I don’t know if I would do a roundtrip or just two one-way tickets. I would like to stay and play some cash games, but I’m already going to Vegas in early August for my bachelor party so there will be plenty of cash game action then.

This is all really spur of the moment for me. I appreciate all of the info you’ve shared. Would you mind telling me who you spoke with on the phone about the event?

Also, when do you think you’ll decide which tourny you’ll play in?