T Nation

World Renowned Trainer Designed This Diet for Me

So, not to mention a name (if you ask I probably will), who happens to be the #1 online coach in the world, gave me a cutting diet.

Basically, i filled out a questionnaire, got asked how many meals I want to eat a day and then voila, this diet was designed for me in a few days.

Basically, he has me at around 2700calories a day, with Protein between 250-260, carbs at 180-210 and fats at 90-100, varying each day.

So 3 meals a day, adding up to the above..on a cutting diet. Does this make sense? why are my carbs so damn high and my fats so low? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

OH and currently my stats are 250lbs at around 20% BF, standing at 6 foot 1"

your carbs are starting reasonably high but I’ll bet he reduces them pretty quickly

That would depend on how much physical work you’re going to do and individual variation. It’s really not an unusual figure: in general if it were me I would have said 2600 cal/day based on your weight and present bodyfat.

Fats are not really low. The 100 g figure comes to 33% of calories.

Carbs are not high. He may want them there because of the training that’s planned.

[quote]

So 3 meals a day, adding up to the above…on a cutting diet. Does this make sense? why are my carbs so damn high and my fats so low? Shouldnt it be the other way around? [/quote]

In my opinion, that sounds right. IF you have your carbs dialed in optimally (20-30% of maintenance calories) then you cut by reducing fat.

So lets say that at your weight he has you at a maintenance level of 3400 calories per day, 25% carbs would be 850 cals or about 210-215 grams of carbs. 50% fat would be 1700 cals or about 190 grams of fat. That leaves 850 cals (a little over 210 grams) from protein.

To that base diet, MY view is that you keep the carbs in range, and reduce fat. This is again based on the fact that your BASE macros already have you at 25% carbs, and 25% of maintenence cals from carbs are optimal for health and performance.

So what you have is a 25% carb, 50% fat, 25% protein base diet (lowish carb) that has cut the fat cals and kept everything else basically the same (although I think the protein is a LITTLE high).

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]

So 3 meals a day, adding up to the above…on a cutting diet. Does this make sense? why are my carbs so damn high and my fats so low? Shouldnt it be the other way around? [/quote]

In my opinion, that sounds right. IF you have your carbs dialed in optimally (20-30% of maintenance calories) then you cut by reducing fat.

To that base diet, MY view is that you keep the carbs in range, and reduce fat. [/quote]
Yes, agreed with above, with added qualification to avoid cutting fat much below the above, else testosterone production is likely to suffer. That was not a problem in the posted diet, but as a general thing to watch for.

[quote]ESPguitarist1990 wrote:
Does this make sense? why are my carbs so damn high and my fats so low? Shouldnt it be the other way around? [/quote]
I don’t know who you’re talking about, but I’m presuming he wasn’t free. If you paid for a diet plan, these are very reasonable questions that you should be asking the person who designed the diet.

The best anyone here can do is guess at why it’s setup like that, especially since we don’t have the any of the info contained in the questionnaire you filled out and we don’t know what the coach’s general approach/progression will be. We also don’t know how you’re training. It seems like, as of last week, you hadn’t settled on a consistent routine. That’s a major factor in terms of designing a diet plan.

If you did ask the coach and for some reason you weren’t happy with the answers or they didn’t answer at all, that’s a separate issue.

Diet as listed seems like a perfectly reasonable starting point to me. But I agree with Mr Colucci that you should ask these questions of your coach, not us.

This was the response when I asked

"XXXXX calculates all clientâ??s calorie/macronutrient breakdowns by first ensuring their minimum protein and fat requirements are meet. As protein is one of the basic components of food and makes all life possible. Fats are required to produce and build new cells. They are a source of energy and are critical in the transmission of nerve impulses. As well as brain function and development.

However once these minimum requirements are meet all remaining calories can be made up from either protein, fats or carbs. This is where XXXX likes to utilise carbs where possible. As carbohydrates are the chief source of energy for all bodily functions and muscular exertion. So including as many carbs in your diet as possible (whilst ensuring your protein and fat minimum requirements are meet) is really the way to go in a lot of cases. The minimum protein requirements XXXX works with is 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight. The minimum fat requirements Josef works with is 0.4g per pound of lean body weight. Ill leave a link below explaining in detail the formulas behind Josef personalised meal plans. Let me know if you have anymore questions regarding this topic"

Also, this is is the 7 day meal plan they have me on;
day 1; 256g P, 206g C, 91g F = 2667 calories
day 2; 266g P, 186g C, 96g F = 2672 calories
day 3; 234g P, 248g C, 94g F = 2774 calories
day 4; 258g P, 211g C, 96g F = 2740 calories
day 5; 288g P, 200g C, 91g F = 2771 calories
day 6; 270g P, 194g C, 95g F = 2711 calories
day 7; 293g P, 183g C, 95g F = 2750 calories

he also states that i have a refeed day every 2 weeks which breaks down into;
280g P, 394g C, 111g F = 3678 calories

From my understanding after I did some research on TNation, carbs should be kept relatively low during the day and mostly consumed pre/during/post, while fats and protein should be high. I did the 100g carb cure and that did great things for me. I dont respond well to carbs at all.

Seeing as this guy was world renowned and hes all over instagram and such, i thought id give him a shot.

Here is an example of one of his workouts he gave me;
seated calf raises 20/15/12/10/8
barbel standing calf raises 20/15/12/10
Standing calf raise (duck feet) 20/15/12
Calf press on the leg press 20/15/12
Standing calf raise (pigeon toe) 20/15/12
Dumbbell incline bench press 20/15/12/10/8
Barbell incline bench press 20/15/12/10
Dumbbell bench press 20/15/12
Dumbbell flys 20/15/12
Barbell bench press 20/15/12

Bit confused to be honest. Dont wanna jump into his program until I get complete understanding as to why he has me training like this. Money back guarantee is also included…

I don’t get the precise reasoning, but its a 30% carb diet with a 44% refeed day every 2 weeks. And a pretty extensive workout.

Also, here is what i currently look like. Id like to thin iv got good shoulders and arms. My back is also pretty decent. Iv always had issues with my chest/stomach and waist. I have been losing fat ( i can tell around my inner pec ) and i might have a little bit of gynomastia?

I used to be overweight when up until i was 18.

forgot to add it…

If I was the #1 online coach in the world, I’d be pretty pissed that one of my clients copy/pasted stuff that I sent him and posted it on a message board to ask other people their opinions. Considering that you paid for this information, giving it away for free seems a little dumb.

It’s one thing to ask him/her a question. Good coaches should be able to explain why they have you doing certain things rather than just “Because that’s the way it is.” It’s another to be so skeptical that, instead of trying it yourself and seeing how it works, you decide to go ask the Interwebz for opinions.

If you want the Internetz opinion, why not just do one of the hundreds of programs available on this site and ask for free training advice in this forum without paying for the “#1 online coach in the world” ?

Not that it really matters as it’s the program that matters, but is this the self-described World’s #1 Online Bodybuilding, Men’s Health, Fitness, and Motivational Coach?

Agreed with post above. It’d be one thing to ask basic diet questions, but it’s bad business to ask us questions about his specific diet. Remember that what makes someone isn’t the baseline diet, anyone with half a brain can come up with basic macros based off a Google search or the many awesome articles on this site.

What makes someone worth the money is that they tweak it to your specific response to that baseline diet and your goals. The baseline diet is just that, an educated guess.

Also you didn’t blot his name out every time so I’m going to assume your working with Josef Rakich. I would honestly just ask him all these questions you are asking us. (FYI I know nothing about him, I just typed “Josef diet” into Google)

^yup…you are correct.

Problem is, i do ask all these questions, but the responses I get seem like they are giving me a vague answer.

The reason im asking all these questions here is that TNation memeber know their shit. Iv experienced the best results ever while doing the 100g carb cure. I did also want to check out what the trainer had to offer because of all the transformation iv seen. Im not saying his advice is shit, i just want to see what an outside/non money making group of people think on his approach.

In that case I would just ask for your money back and then you can do it yourself and also ask us all the questions you like or for recommendations on other coaches. But I would either give him a shot and let him do what you paid him to do or decide not to. Up to you though

It is pretty clear that everyone else on this thread has agreed that there is nothing inherently wrong with any of the recommendations so you got what you asked for, (if not what you wanted).

[quote]ESPguitarist1990 wrote:
Seeing as this guy was world renowned and hes all over instagram and such[/quote]
Quick note on this: I’m not an A-list trainer or anything, but I’ve worked in the fitness industry in some form or another going on 15 years and I’ve never heard of this guy. “World renowned”, my balls. Please don’t be dazzled by abs and self-promotion at the expense of actual credentials. If anything, try to at least put more emphasis on his testimonials than his Instagram following. Grumpy Cat has more Instagram followers than the guy you hired, but it doesn’t necessarily mean she’s a better coach. (A better life coach, maybe.)

If you’re going to start following the nutrition plan he provided, you should start the training he provided at the same time. Diet and exercise… they kinda work synergistically towards getting results. Following only half of this guy’s advice is as bad as not following it at all.

If I took on a new client and gave them a pre-coaching questionnaire, “describe your exercise and diet history” would definitely be one of the questions I asked, and it would absolutely influence my recommendations for the client. That this wasn’t the case with this dude is, in my opinion, a little worrisome.

You’d get even more accurate replies if you asked a few of his former clients.