World Record Squat?

What is the offical Record? I just read Mike Miller hit a 1200# squat at a meet in Jan. would that be the record?

Joe

[quote]Joebob wrote:
What is the offical Record? I just read Mike Miller hit a 1200# squat at a meet in Jan. would that be the record?

Joe[/quote]

Yeah, in a super tight canvas suit that accounted for at least half of it and left him with bruised balls.

I’m not impressed.

I heard somewhere that Mike had asked to take the lift off the record. Perhaps someone can verify this?

Suit or not, that’s an incredible number.

I did see a clip of him trying 1200 and he was way high-bottom of the hips about an inch above tops of knees. I don’t think he could have gotten down with that suit on that attempt.

do you have a link to the clip of him going for the squat id love to see it

he turend the lift down…and wtf i would love to put you in 10 super tight canvas suits then put 1200 pounds on your back and watch as you slowly die…its so easy to talk shit behind a key board…you ought to be asports journalist your ability to talk shit when you havent doen shit is quite impressive…rb

[quote]big martin wrote:
he turend the lift down…and wtf i would love to put you in 10 super tight canvas suits then put 1200 pounds on your back and watch as you slowly die…its so easy to talk shit behind a key board…you ought to be asports journalist your ability to talk shit when you havent doen shit is quite impressive…rb[/quote]

I’m not talking about the meet lift, I’m talking about a clip of a gym attempt. I’m sure he was breaking in or getting used to the suit. If and when he gets 1200, wearing whatever, that’s awesome. With his push toward a 900 bench he’s got 2000+ without even deadlifting.

[quote]big martin wrote:
he turend the lift down…and wtf i would love to put you in 10 super tight canvas suits then put 1200 pounds on your back and watch as you slowly die…its so easy to talk shit behind a key board…you ought to be asports journalist your ability to talk shit when you havent doen shit is quite impressive…rb[/quote]

Ask Ed Coan (a real powerlifter); he thinks all the “gear” is stupid too. The sport is dying. A fat man circus act wrapped in denim.

I’m no powerlifter, but I have squatted 505 for a double(at 200 lbs), olympic style, with only a belt. And I can see my toes to boot. How 'bout you Marty?

Ed Coan didn’t compete raw as far as I know. And I fail to see how powerlifting is “dying.” There’s a prophet of doom in every circle, someone always claiming that their particular niche is dying. (BTW, I’m really fucking sick of the articles here crying about how testosterone is underappreciated. Sure, it was cool to do ONCE, but it seems like TC puts out an article every two weeks about how “real men” aren’t valued) Could you please show me exactly how it is dying. Are there less people competing? Or does it just not jive with what YOU think lifting should consist of?

I think you guys are all forgetting about someone named Light Power.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Ed Coan didn’t compete raw as far as I know. And I fail to see how powerlifting is “dying.”[/quote]

You’re right, he did not compete raw, but he does think the use of gear has gotten out of hand.

[i]“Back when I started it was only a belt, knee wraps and loose suits. Today, I don’t know. I think bench shirts are fine and suits, but when you start putting on denim shirt with a canvas one under it and then a normal shirt under that, it gets ridiculous. Double shirts or more is not powerlifting. It’s something else. I don’t know what. I mean you might as well use a forklift because you are adding 150 pounds to your bench. I’m sure Kaz and those other guys agree with me.”

-Ed Coan[/i]

Maybe I just hate seeing a fine strength sport become such a mockery.

When a failed attempt means your tailor made the suit or shirt to tight, it’s getting a little ridiculous. Just do board press or quarter squat competition instead.

well i bench what you squat…pull near 7’ and have squated in the 8’s…im also only 23 years old…im also a memeber of ron palmers crew…u know who that is my freind??..the strongest man pound for pound in the world wpo mw world champ he has squated 805 benched 555 and pulled 735 at a body weight of 165…is he considerd a real powerlifter???.. he sure aint fat…hey wtf come to columbus next friday at the arnold please come to the wpo room and say the sport it dying to the men who are there comeptiting…it will be fun again to watch u die there also…rb

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I think you guys are all forgetting about someone named Light Power.[/quote]

I’ve heard that name before… I would really like to know what he has to say about double denim versus raw lifting and the quest for 1200!

[quote]big martin wrote:
well i bench what you squat…pull near 7’ and have squated in the 8’s…im also only 23 years old…im also a memeber of ron palmers crew…u know who that is my freind??..the strongest man pound for pound in the world wpo mw world champ he has squated 805 benched 555 and pulled 735 at a body weight of 165…is he considerd a real powerlifter???.. he sure aint fat…hey wtf come to columbus next friday at the arnold please come to the wpo room and say the sport it dying to the men who are there comeptiting…it will be fun again to watch u die there also…rb[/quote]

Just for perspective, are those your numbers in or out of costume? And how much do you weight?

On what wtf wrote:

Jim Parrish who is very much for full gear said that the biggest guys get 250-300 in both bench and squat and 50+ dead with gear. Not that it doesn’t take work. In fact the shirt requires a super strong back as well, but full gear would have given Coan close to 3000 (1200, 700, 1000)and that’s not an exaggeration, its a straight up extrapolation of what other lifters got

Why does it matter if he was using equipment or not just holding that much weight on your back is awesome. If people don’t like using equipment then so be it. I don’t think non Raw lifters bash Raw lifters so why should ya’ll bash the eqiped lifters. Its one thing to voice your opinion, but don’t do it at the expense of someone elses accomplishment.

Yeah i think light power has the World record for squats.

He did 1203lbs for 7 reps.

So i guess his 1 rep max is 1490lbs.

All raw too i think, and he didn’t even wear a condom.

[quote]wtf wrote:
You’re right, he did not compete raw, but he does think the use of gear has gotten out of hand.
[i]“Back when I started it was only a belt, knee wraps and loose suits. Today, I don’t know. I think bench shirts are fine and suits, but when you start putting on denim shirt with a canvas one under it and then a normal shirt under that, it gets ridiculous. Double shirts or more is not powerlifting. It’s something else. I don’t know what. I mean you might as well use a forklift because you are adding 150 pounds to your bench. I’m sure Kaz and those other guys agree with me.”

-Ed Coan[/i][/quote]
all htat posting an old ed coan quote shows, is that your an idiot. (and to an extent eddie)

1. show us the federation that allows multiple bench shirts (denim+canvas+poly all in one go… yea and elvis is living with the martians)
  2. Ed cant even compare his lifts today to his lifts in the past (well besides from his 2 failed drug tests) becuase hte single ply gear today is vastly different to even 5 years ago
  3. Ed cannot compare even Kaz’s lifts from the past to now, even without the equipment. The rules are different, including drug testing requirements that were never around when Kaz was lifting.

just like you cannot compare any sport today, to those in the past. Its pointless, every sport moves on, life changes boo hoo, no ones forcing anyone to lift in any specific fed when there is plenty of others that they can choose from. IF you dont like the gear, lift where you dont have to worry about it.

Ed Coan is one of the greatest powerlifters ever…

BUT, its kinda hypocritical to openly make fun of people lifting within the rules of a fed when you are competing in drug free feds juiced…

I will give everyone both sides of it, since I have competed in all sorts of feds (drug tested and non, single ply and multiple, etc.)

BigMartin: what you are saying is true. The energy at the WPO is incredible and healthy for powerlifting in the United States. In addition, Ron Palmer is a great powerlifter, especially for the WPO.

However, if you want to objectively take a step back and analyze powerlifting in its truest form, the IPF/USAPL is where it is at. Only single ply gear is allowed (no denim), and each lift is judged strict. In addition, the weigh-in is 2 hours before the meet. In my opinion, anything over a 12-hr weigh in is a bit ridiculous.

Again, I am for all sorts of powerlifting feds, because each one appeals to a different type of crowd and thus furthers the sport. However, as the years go by I tend to agree with the crowd that says that the gear is getting out of control. Technological advances are one thing (a better poly weave now than 20 years ago), but a canvas squat suit that weighs close to 10lbs starts to make one wonder. Heck, my Ginny Phillips canvas suit stands up on its own no problem.

In my opinion, the strongest powerlifters in the world are in the IPF. The other feds are great and alot of fun, but if you are serious about powerlifting the IPF/USAPL is where it is at. In addition, at this year’s World Games in Duisburg, Germany, for the first time powerlifting will be an official event. This is the first of three steps in getting it sanctioned as an olympic event. If it ever happens, I bet it will be under IPF rules. Something to think about…