T Nation

World Police Fire and Games Training: Firefit

@CT do you have any ts or recommendations for training for the firefit please and ty

Not CT obviously, but here’s a post I made a while back.

I’m ex-army and have used this to train my soldiers more effectively than the usual army style of training, I think this training would benefit LEO as well.

I came up with this plan after reading how Coach Thibs trains his CF atheletes.

I would go for 2 days of strength training,

1. Squat, Mil.press
  2. Deadlift/Power clean, Bench
    5x5,531 etc whatever progression works for you, and some extra rows/pull ups.

Followed by a high intensity circuit, kind of like a crossfit WOD but mostly job specific activities e.g sprints, wrestling a partner, heavy carries/drags.
Starting with regular clothes then work up to full kit(body armour/Gas mask)

Alternating with 2 days of endurance training running, swimming, carrying a ruck etc, to build up the aerobic base.

I found this worked well as the guys got stronger(which was lacking), and improved overall endurance.

Check out Christian thibaudeau log 2 post #899, this post is awesome

I invented Crossfit when I was training clients for Firefit competition.

LOL not really but I did train some competitors before Crossfit hit the mainstream and their training was fairly similar to the training of the Crossfit athletes I work with, minus the high skill components.

The general template was pretty much always:

(after warm-up)

1. Jumps and stair sprints/sprinting up and down a flight of stairs (or if season permitted, sprints outside the gym)

2. 1 strength lift (basic movement pattern, squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press)

3. Power clean variation (power clean from hang and high pull from hang were the two favorites) … oftentimes the strength lift and clean were completed

4. One antagonist pairing for hypertrophy/resistance

5. One circuit that changed every workout BUT the closer we would get to a competition the more specific the circuits would become. The circuits would include a lot of:

• Sledgehammer striking on a tire. In the off-season we would do all kinds of swings, from over shoulder, from over head, side ways… but closer to a competition it would be from standing on the tire and striking between legs… first for power (so long and hard strikes) and later for speed (shorter strikes) to mimic what goes on in competition

• Tire flipping (we did LOTS of it but mostly for general conditioning purposes. I once had two firemen flip a 500lbs tire around the gym building (I would say at least 800m around) that was crazy.

• Lots of alternating single arm KB high pull

• Lots of battling rope pulling (attaching the rope to a sled and pulling it… a bit like truck pull in strongman). In the general period we would use the “truck pull style” either seated or standing and we would later move on to the specific firefit technique (we even built a platform with a groove to put the rope on to simulate the tower rope pull in firefit… good thing with firemen, they are manual and have lots of free time)

• Lots and lots and lots of loaded carries… Lots of Zercher carries and backwards sled drags… these have the most carryover to the mannequin carry. But also farmer’s walk and prowler pushing.

• We did a tons of prowler work. Mostly from the front during the off season and backwards when a competition got closer.

• Lots of stair sprints… these were put at the end of a circuit to be able to be efficient with heavy legs, one stumble in the stairs and you’re done in competition.

Normally each circuit lasted about 5 minutes (you want to prepare for 3x the duration of your competition event) and were all-out. We normally did 3 to 5 sets of the circuit with about 3-4 minutes of rest.

Ty so much. I am learning a lot I appreciate it. One observation I have made doing your thibarmy fat loss program is that you Cannot and I mean cannot outwork an average diet. It doesnt matter what program you do your diet has to be locked down.

One question

If I do something like this from one of your workouts (Power clean + front squat (3+3) for 5 sets) do I power clean re rack add weight then front squat?

ty

The thing is that most people grossly overestimate how much fuel they use during a workout. Dr. Serrano said that in an intense bodybuilding workout (he gave the example of 10 x 10 on squats or a “Meadows workout” you use around 250-350 calories and about 25-50g of carbohydrates). To paraphrase him the energy counter on the treadmills “lie” or “are bullshit”.

The thing with caloric expenditure evaluation in those machines is that they take into account how much energy you use at rest. For example an athletic person burns about 150 calories per hour AT REST while awake. So if you walk on the treadmill at an incline and the machines says that you burned 400, the activity itself only “burned” 250.

Anyway… look up most charts and you will find that a hard lifting session will use up around 450-500 calories per hour (so 300-350 from the workout itself). Let’s pretend that you do train with a super high volume and you do burn more like 650-700 (or 500-550 from the workout). That still doesn’t account for half of a big mac+fries you would decide to eat.

Not only that, but by overdoing the volume you can actually put your body in a hormonal state that favors fat gain.

I actually saw a lot of people GAIN fat when they started to train, because they believed that training allowed them to eat more crap.