World of Warcraft is the Devil!

Yup, been clean from the game for over 3 months now…but it wasn’t easy.
I swear, quitting smoking 2 1/2 years ago was just barely more difficult.

I’m talking around 3-6 hours of play time in a day, at least 4 days a week, with stretches of over 4 hours of non-stop play.

And I wasn’t keeping up with what a lot of other people play, time wise.

And yes, I even had withdrawal symptoms…

It’s like a whole nother world in there, and there are millions of people complaining how bored they are in the game, yet still sit online in the game for hours on end each day.

I had completely gotten away from training all together. Went to a very, very dark place in my head, and almost didn’t make it back out.

Glad to say my lifts are getting back to where they were, and I’m finally being consistent again with training.

I’ve watched people create relationships in that game, and ruin relationships in that game. The whole online-gaming mmorpg world is fucking crazy.

lol u mad bro?

l2p

I don’t really have trouble with balancing “real life” and WoW since WTLK, it’s just not the same game it was in the original vanilla WoW when my life was taken by surprise!

Now when you can clear new instance in one night, there is just no real challenge, so you can easily play it here and there to finish and see all content and still do all the stuff you wanna or need to do outside the game.

Wow dude. This kinda makes me glad that I never really got into it, despite being tempted a few times.

Out of interest, what kinda stuff would you achieve in that 4-6 hours a day? And you roll around in little gangs right? So what happens when one of you goes offline? Is the rest of the team screwed because they are a man down?

Cheers in advance

BG

[quote]BrentGoose wrote:
Wow dude. This kinda makes me glad that I never really got into it, despite being tempted a few times.

Out of interest, what kinda stuff would you achieve in that 4-6 hours a day? And you roll around in little gangs right? So what happens when one of you goes offline? Is the rest of the team screwed because they are a man down?

Cheers in advance

BG

[/quote]

Our “guild” had core members and other members who didn’t make the commitment to be considered “core”, so we would sign up for 4-hour raids. Anyone who signed up and was not online at the start time would be bumped for any other willing guild member that fit the class needed, and if we still don’t have someone to fill the spot, we looked in the “looking for group” channel for other people geared well enough for the raid we were doing.

Same thing if someone had to leave mid-raid.

The guild leader and the guild officers ran it like a business, and spent more than twice the time online, either in game or setting up their website, than I spent there.

The more someone is raiding with the guild, the more guild-points they would build up, and if a piece of gear drops that’s an upgrade for someone, all the people eligible to roll on the gear bids with their guild-points. You can choose to keep bidding or let the other person have it and save your points for another drop. There’s a bunch of other ways guilds will roll on gear, but that was the one our guild leaders chose.

In a nutshell, it’s all about spending months getting the best gear you can so you can say you’re better than other people in the game, either by doing more damage then them, healing better than them, holding threat better, or beating them in player-vs-player fights.

Yea, looking back on it, or just explaining it to anyone who doesn’t play makes it sound completely ridiculous.

i played the game for a month a few years ago. i quite when i realized all my guild members were doing their own things and i was constantly doing boring quests by my self.

That kinda makes sense. I can see how that style of play could become addictive. If I know myself, I’d probably start stressing about how I could be missing out on guild points because I wasn’t online that day, and subsequently spend more and more time playing as a result.

Just gonna stick with Fallout 3 for ps3 I think.

BG

Eh, it’s the same with balancing anything in life, whether it be work, school, sports, friends, wow, lifting. It just takes some discipline to know when enough is enough and do something about it.

HvRv was right that this game is nothing like it was in vanllia. I am a complete pvp’er at heart and the amount of time required to play now is so limited compared to back then.

http://wowdetox.com/
^That site is crazy.^
Over 2000 pages of people posting about their issues with the game…

3-6 hours a day? please

quitting wasn’t that hard since you only need to find something else to do with your time

My main. Lvl 80 Tauren fury warrior. I’m not playing at the moment got kinda boring now.

I’ve played it on and off since it was just classic… Never really got into it tbh.

More of a FPS guy.

[quote]HvRv wrote:
I don’t really have trouble with balancing “real life” and WoW since WTLK, it’s just not the same game it was in the original vanilla WoW when my life was taken by surprise!

Now when you can clear new instance in one night, there is just no real challenge, so you can easily play it here and there to finish and see all content and still do all the stuff you wanna or need to do outside the game.[/quote]

this is my problem with the game as it is now. They pretty much give away epics now (badges for tier 9 lol). There is really no point even trying anymore.

I’ve started playing Aion, which I must say is shaping up to be a lot better.

I used to play it in periods. I.e in a 2-3 weeks I would play some hours every day, then get bored not log on for a month, then play for some weeks again. I never really got into a hardcore guild thought, so I never “had to be” online at any time.

I’m just glad my internet connection was sucky back when I first tried it, or I might’ve stuck with the game. That could’ve gone really bad, with me being 16-17, and living on my own and all… :S

Now I’m playing AoC whenever I can afford it, which is more fun imo. Not playing anything atm though, as all my time and energy goes to training, lifting and school. That will probably change when my gf buys an Xbox 360 I can play UFC and Tekken on though.

I miss GW though, that was balanced PvP. ^^

I have tried the free trial once. I could not get into it. Walking around killing hogs or what not and then working on the quests. I think I got to Lvl 10 and called it. That has been months ago. I would rather play Halo Wars, Halo, or Gears. WOW just doesnt have enough going on for me.

That’s one thing I don’t like about MMORPG’s like Diablo and WoW. It’s solely based on how much free time you have.
Never played WoW, I fear if I do it will pretty much take over my life in much the the same way

Nowadays my interest in a new game is only two weeks… if it will catch my interest. WoW never did.

I ran my own guild in that game, It’s been running for 5 years and they are top 300 in the game.

We used to RAID from 1am-11am every night, and play another 3-4 hours on top of that… My guild was on an american server, so time zone differences.

I started playing it at a very vunerable time in my life, and it sucked me in completely. It is VERY ADDICTIVE.

The social aspect keeps you playing, everyones addictions keeps playing on everyone elses. If you stop playing for a little while, you fall behind the ‘curve’ and can’t stay on top of everyone else. Which plays on peoples insecurities (And the average WoW player is extremely insecure).

Then, because you have been playing it so much, your only friends are through that game - meaning theres nothing for you to do outside of it.

The only way I managed to quit it, was when I was introduced to a gym… I walked into the gym for the first time at 5’5", 98lbs and at almost 18 years old.

Completely under-nourished and under-developed because all I did was sit down at the computer and barely eat.

If it wasn’t for that game, and I lived a normal lifestyle and ate properly, I would probably be 5’11"+ now (Dad is 6’), but instead I’m only 5’8".

One things for certain, when I have a kid - I’m going to make fucking sure he eats properly and goes outside. NOT play computer games (Most parents seem to be ok with at the moment?).

I played on a private server at a rate of 10x exp, so the leveling wasn’t so exhaustively slow. It still ate my life though for most of a year. Easily 3-5 hours daily, i headed a guild of almost 600. Some of our raids on Stormwind were pretty epic. Guild name was “YourMomIsAnEpicMount”. mature, i know. Always wish i would have used “StdsAreBoP”.