World Maps Showing Different Stats

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:
Americans will accept the metric system at about the same time that Soccer replaces Baseball as our National pastime.
Give us another Century or so before we catch up…ok?
[/quote]
Poor people play soccer. I think the maps show this. I guess once the US economy finally crashes and we fall into nation wide anarchy and total collapse of the government, then we’ll start playing soccer and using the metric system.[/quote]

Football is so popular because u can pretty much take a ball and play anywhere, in the street, car park etc. Whereas american football is just a stupid fucking game al together. 15 minutes of playing in 3 hours. What bull shit is that

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Valid points Batman. Considering our proximity to the US and exposure to US media it’s hard to completely detach ourselves from Imperial measurement. I actually like our hybrid system. 6 foot 4 sounds a hell of a lot better than 193cm, but a liter of gas makes way more sense to me than a gallon.

I would say most Canadians use the following

Height: Imperial…
Bodyweight: Imperial…
General Weight: Metric (unless referring to weed)…
Speed: Metric
Distance: Metric
Lengths: Metric (unless referring to dick size)…
[/quote]

I use lbs for weight, cm’s and metres for measuring.

Gets worse in the U.k

They use miles, mph, but then also litres and grams.

To make it even worse lbs are grouped into ‘stones’ which 14 lbs!

Yo i weight 15st 8lbs… good luck with that!
[/quote]

If you really want to get into fucked up measurements, in Israel (which is metric, except for speed of cars, which is miles-per-hour, except on road signs, of course) we use crap left over from the Roman and Ottoman Empires — most offensively, the “dunam” — (about 1/3 of an acre).

And “dunams” vary depending on when the dunam was measured. It’s officially like 1000 square meters, but really meant “the amount of land one man and a mule could plow in a day.”

Anyway, everywhere from Turkey to Eqypt uses this crap measurement and every locale has a slightly different of calculating it.

There are all sorts of other shit measurements, too, like “rod” (16.5 feet or so) and other things based on the lengths of Roman Chariot axles. Seriously.

Hay and agricultural products get measured by the “cord”[/quote]

They call this so called acre thing a Fedan over here.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Hay and agricultural products get measured by the “cord”[/quote]

Don’t know about other places, but around here we still use cord for things like firewood. For example, my father just bought two cord of wood for the woodstove this winter.

On another note, most people I know use time in place of distance for travel. I have no idea how far I am to Ottawa in km or miles but about an hour. If someone asks me how far to the nearest town, I say 15 minutes, not whatever the kilometres happen to be.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
They call this so called acre thing a Fedan over here.
[/quote]

I think a feddan (which we also use) is 3 dunams.

Again, completely nonsensical measurements for a non-pre-modern-agrarian society.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Football is so popular because u can pretty much take a ball and play anywhere, in the street, car park etc. Whereas american football is just a stupid fucking game al together. 15 minutes of playing in 3 hours. What bull shit is that[/quote]
Oh there’s a bit more playing than that!

Soccer is just 90 minutes of people failing. I can’t appreciate a game where the average score is 1-0. Woohoo…

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

This is cool as fuck. [/quote]

Russian women have giant boobs? Wha???

[/quote]

Why, yes. Yes they do.

As has often been stated, football is like war.

The differences between American football and the-rest-of-the-world football are directly related to the methods in which war is carried out by America vs the rest of the world.

In world football, all you need is a pair of shoes, shorts, and a ball. Anybody can play, as long as they can run and kick.
In American football, you go heavily armored, and you can’t play without the proper equipment.

In world football, injuries happen, but they typically aren’t too serious.
In American football, the heavy armor allows players to avoid minor injury, but allows play to be even more violent, leading to more severe injury.

In world football, the rules are simple, the strategies straightforward. The players have different positions, but they all do pretty much the same thing, and any player can probably play any position.
In American football, the rules are complex and the strategies infinitely varied. Each position is highly specialized, and it’s unlikely that a player will do well in a position he hasn’t trained for.

In world football, play is fluid and continuous.
In American football, the action stops whenever a few yards of territory have been gained.

In world football, it is possible for the game to end with neither side having achieved their goal.
In American football, the game must go on until one side has delivered a crushing defeat to its adversaries.

In world football, the supporters of the team are mad, mindless, screaming partisan fanatics, who will take to the streets themselves if the game doesn’t favor their team.
In American football… uh, okay, so they do have that in common.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

Why, yes. Yes they do. [/quote]

More important question, extreme outliar or standard unit of measurement on display here?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

On another note, most people I know use time in place of distance for travel. I have no idea how far I am to Ottawa in km or miles but about an hour. If someone asks me how far to the nearest town, I say 15 minutes, not whatever the kilometres happen to be.[/quote]

This wouldn’t work too well if one were walking or riding a bike. Or driving really fast.

What a dumb deal.[/quote]

No dumber than measuring land in acres. An acre is the average area that a man with an ox-drawn plow can till in a day. Outside of Amish communities, to whom is this measurement relevant? A mile is just one side of a square comprising 640 acres.

As an aside, measuring distance in terms of time is fairly common throughout the world, even in pretty well-developed areas. Ask anybody on the streets of Tokyo how far it is to Osaka, and they will answer in hours, not kilometers.

For that matter, how far is it to Alpha Centauri? Ask any physicist, and most will answer in light years.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

On another note, most people I know use time in place of distance for travel. I have no idea how far I am to Ottawa in km or miles but about an hour. If someone asks me how far to the nearest town, I say 15 minutes, not whatever the kilometres happen to be.[/quote]

This wouldn’t work too well if one were walking or riding a bike. Or driving really fast.

True in a way, that it’s used to give a sense of drive time. Though not for long distance, like across country. More like, “Hey, how far is the marina?” “It’s about 10 minutes up the road on your right”.

And seriously, if someone asked me how far away Toronto was to walk from Ottawa, I wouldn’t give them the kilometres either, I would just shake my head at the dumb question.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

More important question, extreme outliar or standard unit of measurement on display here? [/quote]

There are enough extreme outliers to raise the statistical mean. The inverse is true in Japan. Plenty of mammarily-endowed females there, but there are enough flatties there to bring the average down.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

More important question, extreme outliar or standard unit of measurement on display here? [/quote]

There are enough extreme outliers to raise the statistical mean. The inverse is true in Japan. Plenty of mammarily-endowed females there, but there are enough flatties there to bring the average down. [/quote]

I would assume some must be concave for it to be that low. Sidebar: I am super unnatracted to asian women. Not sure why but does nothing for me.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

No dumber than measuring land in acres. An acre is the average area that a man with an ox-drawn plow can till in a day. Outside of Amish communities, to whom is this measurement relevant? A mile is just one side of a square comprising 640 acres.

As an aside, measuring distance in terms of time is fairly common throughout the world, even in pretty well-developed areas. Ask anybody on the streets of Tokyo how far it is to Osaka, and they will answer in hours, not kilometers.

For that matter, how far is it to Alpha Centauri? Ask any physicist, and most will answer in light years.

[/quote]

Well a light year is a measure of distance with reference to time.

It has an actual distance (5,865,696,000,000 miles).

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

There are enough extreme outliers to raise the statistical mean. The inverse is true in Japan. Plenty of mammarily-endowed females there, but there are enough flatties there to bring the average down. [/quote]

I would assume some must be concave for it to be that low. Sidebar: I am super unnatracted to asian women. Not sure why but does nothing for me. [/quote]

x2 although part asain part something else is pretty good. Like Lana from smallville - part chinese part canadian or summert.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

I would assume some must be concave for it to be that low. Sidebar: I am super unnatracted to asian women. Not sure why but does nothing for me. [/quote]

x2 although part asain part something else is pretty good. Like Lana from smallville - part chinese part canadian or summert. [/quote]

Hybrids are always hot. Big fan of the muts.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Sidebar: I am super unnatracted to asian women. Not sure why but does nothing for me. [/quote]

Asia is a big place. Might want to reconsider this statement.

Asian woman from Kazakstan.

Asian woman from Iran.

Asian woman from Afghanistan.

Afghanistan.