T Nation

World Hockey Championships

Hi from Europe!

As a Canadian living in Europe, I miss the whole hockey culture that I grew up with. But you NHL fans are obviously missing this year as well.

I live in Austria, and have been able to get tickets to see Canada - Slovenia (yawn?) and Sweden - Denmark. Tickets are very hard to come by, the stadium in Innsbruck is SMALL.

Anyhow - to the point - any thoughts on the upcoming tourney? It starts today, and many are expecting the best WC yet, as many NHLers are playing due to the lockout.

I have talked to some hockey people, they don’t expect the best from the Canadians as some haven’t played at all for a while. I am sure that they will be competitive, and I am obviously a die-hard Cdn fan.

I think that the Czechs will be very strong, as will the Russkies.

Opinions? Predictions?

It could be a repeat of US basketball in Athens. Unless you have your best playing, you’re in trouble.
-said with a heavy heart-

Cheers

I know this is probably a stupid question, but are they going to televise this on espn, fox sports, or cbc by any chance? All I see is drag racing and women’s softball on ESPN 2 tonite, baskteball on ESPN. You’d think they’d play old NHL games on ESPN Classic but no, they show stupid shit like “classic pool” or “classic bowling.”

I think that most of the games, at least the Canadian games will be broadcast by TSN, a Canadian broadcaster.

How good is the American team? Do they look strong?

I had to hear the news from my brother last night… a close shave with… LATVIA?! Against a hundred year old goalie?! Yikes. :stuck_out_tongue:

AC and Steven, you have both made me realize that even if ESPN manages to show any games, they’ll probably show exclusively American games. I hope I can remember the rules… lol

Cheers

Sucks that I won’t be able to watch any of the qualifying games, but I guess that will delay me getting pissed off about the desecration of our hockey sweaters.

How about that Rick Nash eh?

Forget Rick Nash, I want to see if this kid Crosby is what everyone thinks he is. But yeah Rick Nash is pretty damn good I heard he had a hatty, not too shabby.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but are they going to televise this on espn, fox sports, or cbc by any chance? All I see is drag racing and women’s softball on ESPN 2 tonite, baskteball on ESPN. You’d think they’d play old NHL games on ESPN Classic but no, they show stupid shit like “classic pool” or “classic bowling.” [/quote]

I know it’s ridiculous!!!
Show us some damn hockey ESPN!

I feel a huge void this spring with no Hockey.

At least this year I know the Wings won’t choke again in the first or secound round against a 6-8 seed with a hot goalie.

I think that “the small countries” (Ukraine, Latvia etc…) can surprise… even Canada must watch out those countries.

And not every good player comes from NHL… there comes plenty of good (European) players in European own series too…

But this is my guessing:

1. Finland
  2. Canada
  3. Chech

Of course I’m Finn

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Forget Rick Nash, I want to see if this kid Crosby is what everyone thinks he is. But yeah Rick Nash is pretty damn good I heard he had a hatty, not too shabby. [/quote]

If you want to see Sydney Crosby. He is still playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Playoffs. Unfortunatly you will not see him at the World Championships. If his team makes it to the Memorial Cup in London (which they probably will) they will have this broadcasted by Rogers Sportsnet out of Canada.

Was there to watch Canada thump Slovenia - the Canadians were simply physically dominant and could basically do whatever they wanted. The Slovenian goalie actually did a great job of not letting it get worse.

I think that Canada has a great chance if they come together as a team and gel when they play in the playoff rounds.

Was able to score a tifket for the Canada - USA game tomorrow - am looking forward to that!

For you Canadians out there - it has been a while for me to sing the national anthem - actually got goose bumps as I sang. Go Canada!

I think that the Czechs will be very strong, as will the Russkies.

hmmm…the Russkies will be very strong??
typical North-American thinking.
Russkies ain`t gonna do a thing,perhaps 7th-8th is more right.
last year they were what…tenth or something.
Canada,Finland,Sweden and Slovakia will be the best teams this year.

Slovakia - Russia: 3-3. I didn’t see much of the game, but Russia doesn’t look too bad. I would never count the Russians out until they are REALLY eliminated.

Bad news for the Czechs - Jagir was slashed during the game with the Germans and it looks bad. Pinky finger broken and probably will not be able to play. Bad break for the Czechs.

Have met a couple of Canucks at the games, yesterday after the game a student told me he saw some Canadian fans running around in the train station in nothing but speedos and totally sauced.

A world championship in a foreign country is for many a good excuse to let it all hang out! Have seen many many drunks at the games but they are at least peaceful and just having fun, not looking for trouble.

I hear the NHL & NHLPA are meeting again today? What a joke. Will Bettman Goodenow or Linden even be there? Probably not, they are to busy living the high life with the millions of dollars they have stored away.

Another thing BETTMAN, let’s sign a contract before we worry about changing the rules to increase scoring.

Last time I recall they set a record for fewest goals in a season last year WITH 0!!!

Met a guy from Winnipeg last night (during the Canada - Slovenia game) - said people in Canada are fed up with the ****.

Ryan Smyth organized a charity tour with games in various cities and towns with other NHLers. In Winnipeg they sold 250 tickets in a rink that holds 15,000. In St. Ablert they sold 200 tickets. I think that fans are trying to get the message across. They cancelled the tour. How many average working stiffs can feel sorry for athletes and owners who are making millions?

And for the low paid players, well, they earn at least 200G’s. Go to an NHL game and take your 3 kids and buy them each a drink and a dog. Not a cheap night out at the movies.

A world class bobsledder who has won ALL the championships (Oly, World) that his sport has to offer once complained to me that he earns about what a school teacher earns. I replied that he is doing what he loves and seeing the world at the same time. His time investment is about the same as a “big time” pro athlete and earns not alot.

I have LITTLE sympahty for the poor darlings who are earning only 1/2 a mill instead of 2-3 mill or more.

I`m from Sweden and the team this year suck ass, the best players are not playing. Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Markus Naslund are not in the WC mainly of tax reasons. Greedy fucking bastards. Markus Naslund have an estimated fortune of 100 million dollars and he had to if he played in the WC, pay 500 000$ in taxes.
There is no honor in sports anymore, to represent your country should be the greatest thing you can do, right?
Anyway in 10 minutes Sweden will get there ass kicked by Finland. And the Finnish SISU will live on(for all you Finns out there).

Canada will be #1 this year.

[quote]Philslang wrote:
I`m from Sweden and the team this year suck ass, the best players are not playing. Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Markus Naslund are not in the WC mainly of tax reasons. Greedy fucking bastards. Markus Naslund have an estimated fortune of 100 million dollars and he had to if he played in the WC, pay 500 000$ in taxes.
There is no honor in sports anymore, to represent your country should be the greatest thing you can do, right?
Anyway in 10 minutes Sweden will get there ass kicked by Finland. And the Finnish SISU will live on(for all you Finns out there).

Canada will be #1 this year.
[/quote]

Sweden just kicked Finlands ass 5-1 !!

Sweden rules and will take the gold medal.

Funny how fast opinions shift :wink:

I saw the Sweden - Denmark game live and the Swedes are very skilled and enteraining to watch. BUT - Denmark played very very poorly and was unimpressive. So hard to really judge Sweden.

Finland just barely (2-1) beat Denmark and I figured they just had a bad game. But after losing to Sweden by such a margin, I figure that Finland sucks and so we still can’t really say if Sweden is that good or not. Just as one can’t say if Canada is that good since they have only beat Latvia and Slovenia.

But in about 1 hour and 15 minutes I will be in the arena watching Canada-USA live and will have a better idea after the game.

After the Slovakia - Russia game (3-3) and the result of Slovakia - Austria (8-1) I think that Slovakia is a hot tip but don’t count Russia out.

Also, the Czechs got a boost because Jagir zipped over to the Czech republic and they doctored him up so that he CAN play with the broken finger.

I think everything is still up for grabs, but am betting on and pulling for my guys, the Canucks!

[quote]Austro Canuck wrote:

But in about 1 hour and 15 minutes I will be in the arena watching Canada-USA live and will have a better idea after the game.

[/quote]

Wicked! Report back here immediately (after post game beers of course) with the low-down. I’m especially interested in hearing how Redden, Philips and Fisher are handling themselves. Have a good one.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:

Wicked! Report back here immediately (after post game beers of course) with the low-down. I’m especially interested in hearing how Redden, Philips and Fisher are handling themselves. Have a good one.[/quote]

1st period Canada was half asleep and Brodeur kept them in the game (shots 14-4 for USA) but 2nd period picked up and they found their rhythm. Total shots were 35-25 for Canada.

Nash is REALLY fun to watch, he is great. His 2nd goal was sweet. He, Thornton and Gagne play well together. Can’t say too much about the Ottawa guys but I think that they were solid. I really like Draper - he is a mucker and is a great forechecker.

All in all a solid effort excluding the 1st period, but am really waiting to see them against the Slovaks, or Czechs, or Russians. Sweden may be good as well.

I can’t get over how BIG those bad boys are! Against Slovenia it was like a junior team against men. Canada has a total of 7 guys under 200 lbs, the USA is not small but 10 are under 200 (excluding goal). Don’t know how the Europeans stack up, but I am sure that they are generally lighter. Finally saw a game (Can-USA) where checking was REALLY a part of the game. Good to see, on both sides.

Quite a few Canadians at the game, a good atmosphere. I hope that I can score a couple of tickets, but it will be tough in the next round.