T Nation

World Bodybuilding Champions?

Where’s the emphasis on World Champions for bodybuilding? Has Bodybuilding become a sport centered in America? I find this hard to believe considering that the Mr. Olympia is supposed to be held around the world or at least was held outside the United States back in the day. How come we don’t hear much about foreign bodybuilding competitions?

Watching Stefan Havlik just got me thinking about how completely ignorant I am on the whole world out foreign bodybuilding. What’s going on out there? If he was the 2003 World Champion then I guess symmetry is being respected over the size Coleman and Cutler have.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Where’s the emphasis on World Champions for bodybuilding? Has Bodybuilding become a sport centered in America? I find this hard to believe considering that the Mr. Olympia is supposed to be held around the world or at least was held outside the United States back in the day. How come we don’t hear much about foreign bodybuilding competitions?

Watching Stefan Havlik just got me thinking about how completely ignorant I am on the whole world out foreign bodybuilding. What’s going on out there? If he was the 2003 World Champion then I guess symmetry is being respected over the size Coleman and Cutler have. [/quote]

The guys built like Coleman and Cutler have ONLY been winning the Olympia contests for the past few years now. They wouldn’t be winning any NPC contests and even Dennis James is having a hard time getting in the top 3 lately.

the winners of the Ironman aren’t just chosen based on size alone. Freeman proved that even though he has both size and symmetry. People just don’t pay attention. That is why you have kids looking up off season photos of Coleman as if that is what he looks like on stage.

As long as people don’t look, the same stereotypes hold. Markus Ruhl hasn’t come close to winning shit in several years.

Bodybuilding still seems to have quite a following in Europe to some degree. There are also bodybuilding facilities popping up in China and India. Someone posted the link to some gyms in Africa a few weeks back.

I do agree that winners of foreign competitions don’t seem to be made very public here though.

it’s a matter of money.
Simple. Business.

The most importan IFBB pro competition in Italy has a prize of about 10000 euro for the 1st place.

A “bad” soccer player here can take the same money for 1 season.

As you can imagine here in Italy (but I think i can extend to the west europe the same concept) be a pro bber is not rewarding.

At this point I guess the recent Olympia wins are an isolated event for bodybuilding. Obviously the Olympia wasn’t always choosing its winners based on size ( or else Lou would have beaten Arnold the year of Pumping Iron). I guess for the little difference it makes I’m disappointed that the successful foreign bodybuilders aren’t getting the sort of global recognition one would expect. I hope their methods of sucess will at least make it over here. Yeah, I know following pro-bodybuilding workouts is stupid for drug-free non-professionals but maybe there are some methods or principles the French are using that could do me some good. Just after seeing Havlik’s leg regime I’ve concluded that high-rep lunges without weights and jumping like a monkey is good way to force blood into the quads at the end of a workout.