T Nation

Workouts For Cops

Hey guys. I’m new around here and have a question.

I tried searching it but had no luck.

I’m a police officer and am looking for suggestions on tuning my workout to fit my job.

Job: Go from driving around in a car on third shift with nothing going on to a complete adrenaline dump and a 100m sprint (in 36lbs of gear) in 3sec. Then have to grapple a coked-out suspect (once again in 35lbs of gear). While calling it all out on the radio.

I currently do 3dys of BW training (Matt Fury style stuff) and 2-3 days of 5x5 at the gym. I focus on complex movements at the gym and mix sprints and distance on the track.

I eat on the anabolic diet.
EDITED: Anabolic eating lifestyle.

Any ideas on how to tune up for the zero-everything situation?

PS: Coffee good, donutz bad.

SQUATS AND MILK.

Personaly I think you do your self a favor looking into sure heavy gym work a few days and then a strongman day sprints, drag stuff, flip stuff, carry stuff, throw stuff, load stuff lift things over head, medleys etc for a third day and maybe consider a grappling or wrestling class to learn close quarters stuff ground work take downs.

Phill

[quote]lostdog wrote:
Hey guys. I’m new around here and have a question.

I tried searching it but had no luck.

I’m a police officer and am looking for suggestions on tuning my workout to fit my job.

Job: Go from driving around in a car on third shift with nothing going on to a complete adrenaline dump and a 100m sprint (in 36lbs of gear) in 3sec. Then have to grapple a coked-out suspect (once again in 35lbs of gear). While calling it all out on the radio.

I currently do 3dys of BW training (Matt Fury style stuff) and 2-3 days of 5x5 at the gym. I focus on complex movements at the gym and mix sprints and distance on the track.

I eat on the anabolic diet.

Any ideas on how to tune up for the zero-everything situation?

PS: Coffee good, donutz bad.[/quote]

donuts are an excellent post workout snack if you throw in some protein with them!

Have you looked at Dan John’s Litvinov workout? you basically do front squats and then go run for 400 meters, repeat 3 times.

His tabata workout seems like it would work too.

Check out the “copland” articles for a program suggestion. It’s a 5x5 type program 3x/week.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=511085

Instead of 2-3 days of BW, try switching over to some DT/ACT type training (i.e. boxing, BJJ, kickboxing). You’ll get plenty of the conditioning aspects plus improve those mission critical, perishable skills (and have some fun).

It can be hard finding a place to train while you’re on graves so don’t worry too much if the only place you can find with a 0700 or 0800 hours class is LA Boxing. You can switch places next rotation.

As to the running, unless you enjoy it as a hobby or sport keep it short. Besides most of the tweakers will blow a gasket if a pursuit goes over a block. Head out for some intervals (http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459414) or just push your self for a 1.5-2 miles with some hills if possible 2-3x/week.

Stay away from too much ‘choir’ practice with the boys. Hug your kids. Kiss your wife. And always come home at the end of watch.

BTW: deadlifts and good mornings feel soooo good after wearing a Sam Browne for 12 hours!

Have you ever tried waking up and IMMEDIATELY doing cardio? I do mean immediately–the second you wake up, throw on your sweats and shoes and run out the door as fast as you can before your brain knows what’s happening.

I’ve done this a couple of times–talk about making your heart pound! It does require programming yourself the night before to do it immediately.

Thanks, guys. I think I will add in some more interval-style stuff.

Mixicus, I HATE running and just do it to make SWAT and catch tweakers…and the straight graves about killed my Akido venture. Sounds like we walked some of the same trails. Deads do feel good after wearing that thing…and affirmative to going light on the choir practice…

I’m discovering that I need explosive movement more than brute strength.

Yo lostdog, I got to ask, what do you carry that adds up to 35lbs? I only lug around 25lbs myself -2 guns, 2 extra mags, 2 knives, vest, OC spray, ASP, big ass 800 series radio, duty belt, boots, uniform, if they ever issue me a taser it will bump it up another pound or so.

Fred

Good question, man. Now I gotta go figure out what each thing weighs…dang it.

Lostdog

I forgot to include 1 pair of handcuffs in the previous list. I don’t carry a big metal flashlight unless I’m responding to an alarm or a disturbance/domestic inside.

An easy way to figure out how much it all weighs is to step on the scale before you get dressed for work then again after you strap on everything.

Summer’s coming, get ready to sweat!
Watch your six.
Fred

Sweat is right…and I’m going to be taking HOT-ROX Extreme.

I think you should try out some Oly Lifting… or at least focus a portion of your training towards power and for overall muscular control.

For the other end, conditioning-wise, try Ross Enamait’s material for total body endurance, cardiovascular benefit and application of speed and power.

[quote]lostdog wrote:
Thanks, guys. I think I will add in some more interval-style stuff.

Mixicus, I HATE running and just do it to make SWAT and catch tweakers…and the straight graves about killed my Akido venture. Sounds like we walked some of the same trails. Deads do feel good after wearing that thing…and affirmative to going light on the choir practice…

I’m discovering that I need explosive movement more than brute strength.[/quote]

Some Dynamic-effort type traing and Strongman events would certainly benefit you. Doing heavy events like tire flip and farmers walk will help you build strength and endurance. Dynamic bench and movements like the stones, keg loading, and a lighter tire will help you get explosive for when you have to drop the hammer on a guy. If nothing else, it’s a lot more fun than running.


try whatever he does

I’m just pulling this one out of my ass here, but have you thought of setting a pager or pda with different times and messages. It goes off and you know you have to sprint 20 meters, do some pushups, climb the nearest tall object, do a set of squats, whatever. That may get your body use to having to change mindsets and functions quickly.

So…seeing as how there’s a lot of cops here, any tips for (the friends of)a teen on how to break minor laws and not bother the police. This is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used. I’m sure you don’t really enjoy the paperwork and such of possession or breaking up parties. Obviously teens don’t enjoy being arrested.
I’m sure there’s a way that we can both avoid bothering each other over petty shit.

So far I’ve learned

  1. don’t drive
  2. stay inside
  3. don’t break curfew
  4. avoid loud noises
  5. only break one law at once
  6. be respectful

sorry for interrupting

Negative… Coleman is in no shape to arrest or fight anyone. He’s too big and his heart will wear out at his size. I’m a cop, I train Westside Conjugate because I’m a powerlifter too. My endurance work is anything from heavy bag work to treadmill work, walking backwards and forwards on stupid inclines. The sprints are great, keep it up, but do it in different intensities through out the week. One day sprint 100% for 30yards for sets, then on another day maybe 50 yards at 75% for sets.

Another great workout is BJJ & Muai Tai if you got a gym around. 30 mins of each 2 times a week along w/ weight training will hand your ass to you. Just don’t roll after you lift or lift after you roll. Not good on the joints. Now go get a heavy bag for you basement and make that your cardio!!! Officers have to continually keep searching for a better way, we must avoid injury on the street by flirting w/ it in training. Squats, Goodmornings, Pin-pulls, Deads, Speed deads, Power cleans, Pull ups, Rows, Bench, and overhead work.

The thing I never hear any officers mention is working your abs. We must train our abs to fight in any condition. Power comes from the hips and abs tie it all in. I would gladly help you in your quest to find the perfect workout. I’m always changing shit around, except the basics. Squats,DL’s, Bench, and back work have not failed me yet. Post your exact workout on here or send it to me privately so we can brain storm!

[quote]ncscarface wrote:
try whatever he does[/quote]

Sorry…no gear…:wink:

[quote]Taquito wrote:
I’m just pulling this one out of my ass here, but have you thought of setting a pager or pda with different times and messages. It goes off and you know you have to sprint 20 meters, do some pushups, climb the nearest tall object, do a set of squats, whatever. That may get your body use to having to change mindsets and functions quickly.

So…seeing as how there’s a lot of cops here, any tips for (the friends of)a teen on how to break minor laws and not bother the police. This is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used. I’m sure you don’t really enjoy the paperwork and such of possession or breaking up parties. Obviously teens don’t enjoy being arrested.
I’m sure there’s a way that we can both avoid bothering each other over petty shit.

So far I’ve learned

  1. don’t drive
  2. stay inside
  3. don’t break curfew
  4. avoid loud noises
  5. only break one law at once
  6. be respectful

sorry for interrupting[/quote]

Good idea on the PDA…on the not getting caught…cops solve problems. Don’t be a problem and you won’t get solved.

Ok, My workout:

Days 1,4,6 of the week:
Pushups or hindu pushups
Ab work
thickbar curls
wall walks
hindu squats
calf raises
4 sets of as many as I can do.
I run 2 of these days. One sprint, one distance.

Days 2&5:
Complex shoulder/back movement
(pulls,chins,ect)
Mill press or single arm press

Squats or deads

Chest work
(bench,flys,ect)
Bent over rows or lat pulls

Bar curls or dumbell curls
dips,close bench,or skull crushers

These are 5x5 or 8x3.

On my off days I do something creative, but active, like rope climbs. I also try to run a third day of the week. I work graveyard shifts, so this plan is an ideal week.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460021

You may want to figure in some High Octaine Cardio, it’s simple and looks like it would be a good simulation of an average day at the office for you.