T Nation

Workout Too Hard?

I just turned 19 two days ago so im young and i figure there is no such thing as to much right now for me but so many people tell me i push it to hard so i figure miss well ask some people who actually train hard

chest monday 3 sets of 3 different types of lifts for the chest
shoulders tuesday same set up as above
wendsday back and legs 3 sets 5 different lifts
thursday chest 3 sets and 3 types of lifts
friday arms same as above
i weight 225 6" 15%bf max bench 350 deadlift 455 squat 405 all with the right form

my main thing is should i cut the extra chest day out or suck it up and take advantage of my youth

You might be overdoing it a little....but what are your reps?

If the bench, deadlift and squat numbers you posted are legit, it would show me that you have been lifting for at least a little while, and I really doubt that what looks like a maximum volume of 9 sets for a bodypart is overdoing it, assuming your nutrition and recovery is in order.

However, I would reconstruct your training day order. I.E. don't do shoulders the day after chest, etc. If you're going for a bodypart type split, I'd recommend more of a:
Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Arms
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Back

type of split. Just my opinion, and everybody is different and responds differently, so certainly don't take my advice set in stone.

a post of mine from long ago on another board:

[b]here's something i don't really understand: guys who divide their splits by muscle groups. i.e. chest and back day, arm day, leg day, and shoulder day.

how does this make sense when the best exercises are compound and hit many muscles at once? how can chest and back day really be chest and back day when doing chins, flat bench, rows, and dips? you're getting total arm involvement, hamstring and lower back tension, delt strain, etc...

doesn't make any sense.

that's why i look at my split in terms of movements or planes of motion. for example, i have 3 upper body days and 2 lower body days. on the upper body days i rotate my exercises every workout. one workout: horizontal plane of motion - upper body press , and upper body pull , the next workout: vertical plane of motion - upper body press and upper body pull

and i also do one lower body press and one lower body pull on my lower body days. i.e. deadlifts and front squats. and i'll hit calves every lower body workout as well.

i mean this is just the basic framework, there's a lot more to it, but i think the idea is clear.[/b]

This has been beaten to death, so I'll keep it as brief as possible:

You can still do all the compound movements within a bodypart split.

Anybody with 1/4 of a brain knows that you're not just working "quads" when you do squats, or excusively working "pecs" when you do bench press.

A bodypart split works exceptionally well for hypertrophy purposes, assuming you keep in mind the secondary muscles that are being worked, hence me advising something like not doing shoulders after a day of working chest because of the huge crossover.

If you're not looking for large gains in musculature, don't worry about bodypart training. However, last I checked, the athletes almost exclusively interested in hypertropy, i.e. bodybuilders, use bodypart splits with much success.

Please, don't turn this into another bodypart vs. total body vs. planes of motion debate, it's all been said. To each their own, whatever works for you.

Bauer97 thanks i have been planning on switching up my days to better fit rest time ive been working out for awhile now

and i just bought a bench shirt bc my first competion will be june i hope to have a max above 380 for bench press

im thinking about adding floor presses in but i fear i might get in trouble in my gym or "health club"

and has any one tried noexplode out i tried it and i think its not bad just wondering if people have found a lot better out there