T Nation

Workout Split to Increase Mass?

The fact that you train legs more doesn’t make your dick any bigger.

If your legs get bigger it may actually make it appear smaller.

[quote=“jakew425, post:1, topic:231881”]
I’ve been hearing a lot lately that temporarily increasing training volume on select muscle groups to twice a week can help a lot.

How does this split look:[/quote]
You didn’t actually write anything about training volume, so it’s impossible to tell. Knowing the volume requires knowing the exercises, sets, and reps done in each workout.

If you meant training frequency, then I’d point out that the only things you’re hitting with higher frequency are the bro muscles - chest and arms. Chest twice a week, bis twice a week, and tris getting worked a total of four times a week. Twice directly and twice indirectly.

If you want to hit things more frequently, I’d suggest hitting everything twice a week. Blending Size and Strength is a solid upper/lower split, ABBH is another.

Unless you were using it as a chest/arms specialization phase, then give it a go as-is for 4-8 weeks, eat plenty to maximize results, and keep an eye on elbow health with that tri work.

“When you git biggah, everyfing else looks smallah”
-Lee Priest

I generally do some back work on my overhead pressing days, which could be considered ‘shoulder’ days. but last night i did just shoulders. Started with the circus dumbbell, then some strict barbell pressing, then seated one arm presses, then lateral raises. that was plenty of work for me. if i didn’t do strongman though, it would be hard for me to really have a dedicated shoulder day.

You should train everything at least twice a week.

The body adapts to stimulus. Stimulus in the gym is weight.

Mass = Strength = ( Weight * Reps * Sets ) / Years trained

I am going to go on a bit of a rant because that split is super popular and is super straight up garbage and for some reason it just wont go away.

-2 Push days to 1 Pull and the way most people train shoulders it is 3 push days. That is guaranteed posture problems and shoulder injuries.

-Having entire workout/days dedicated to Arms or Shoulders is a wasted day unless you would normally do cardio/nothing there. It’s a waste because literally every upper body movement you should already be doing trains them more efficiently than the typical exercise selection on those days. Add in that if your split is right you could have a much more effective workout here instead of focusing on 2% of your muscles.

-If you want to grow you need to train Squats, Deads and often. Your body adapts to stimulus and Squats and Deads are the kings of stimulus.

To train 6 days a week this is literally the best split you could use:

Day 1 Lower - Squats, Deads, Calves (lunges optional)
Day 2 Pull - Barbell Rows, Pullups, Biceps (T-Bar Rows, Back Flys optional)
Day 3 Push - Bench Press, Military Press, Triceps (Dips, Incline press and dumbells optional)
Repeat

Deadlifts can go on Day 2 if you prefer.

For reps/sets 5-3-1 periodization is pretty good.

Or even simpler just do 5 rep sets slowly adding weight until you fail to get 5 reps. Take 5-15% off the bar and do some more sets for volume.

How often do you train strongman? I am trying to think of a strongman exercise/event that doesnt use the legs as a primary mover but cant.

These are the first 2 studies that pop up on google both with the same conclusion that higher frequency is superior for hypertrophy.

I think there is a substantial difference between training something like an overhead log press, which utilizes leg strength, and actually training leg strength. I USE the leg strength I’ve built to press a log overhead, but that’s not going to build more strength. Make sense?

I think if your chest and arms are a weak point & you are hitting legs, shoulders & back with plenty of volume then, yeah, that split makes perfect sense. I mean , I personally like to train 3 on 1 off…so: legs, press, pull, rest, repeat…but, just do whatever works for you I would say.

You do have a point that everyone has different priorities, but…

Yes, if he did tons of squats on that leg day, he could have great squat muscles, but what about dead lifts and loaded carries?

Did you notice that he specifies arm exercises three times that week? And since triceps work with chest and shoulder exercises, he is stressing his triceps four days a week (unless he is using a lot of flies, which he didn’t mention). I’ve never seen this or any other website even hinting that it is a good idea.

What exactly constitutes ‘a good idea’? You seem stuck on your own values. Not everyone has to deadlift. And I know very few people who do loaded carries who don’t compete in Strongman. I fucking hate carries, and only perform them when I’m preparing for a show. When was the last time you saw a bodybuilder doing them? Those things are simply not necessary for every goal. You seem very dense here. I think it’s pretty obvious the OP wants to focus on getting bigger arms, wouldn’t you agree? This seems to be a fine split for reaching that goal. And btw, you’re STILL ignoring the fact that he mentioned he would be doing this for a short period of time, not indefinitely.

You really don’t like carries? I mean, the shin splints suck & all but…

you ever read my log? lol. I’ve expressed frequently my disdain for them. It’s probably a solid mix of ‘I’m really shitty at them’ and ‘they hurt everything’. And granted, not all carries are the same. Yokes are the absolute worst. I simply won’t enter a show with yoke as an event. I would consider it if the yoke weight was 500 lbs or less, but that never happens. I’m equally shitty at conan’s wheel. I shouldn’t enter shows with that. I’ve taken last the 2 times I’ve done it in comps. And I’ve been SO FAR behind the winners. I don’t completely suck at carries for distance with no drops, because while I’m extraordinarily slow, I have a better grip than pretty much everyone I compete against. So I can just carry implements forever lol. farmers handles, frames, and kegs aren’t as awful. I’m good with a sandbag because I have a fast pick, and the weights don’t tend to be too heavy. And duck walk is not that difficult in general.

Yeah I guess you have talked about disliking them. I guess I remembered you just not being very good at them, and that was why you didn’t like them.

I feel you though. I like farmers carries & the like way more than the yoke (unless it’s a front rack) or Conan’s. speaking of the yoke, a comp I was looking at had a yoke for the under 175ers at 600lbs. I mean, I’m sure a bunch of guys can do it, I’m just not one of them lol.

I’ve actually never done a duck walk, and honestly wouldn’t know it if I saw one.

That’s what is really cool about strongman though. With all of the different variations of events, competitions are really anyone’s to win within reason.

I’ve got a duck walk in my comp next weekend, that’s the only reason I’ve done it at all. It’s basically a handle you hold between your legs and carry the implement with your feet spread wide to accomodate the size of the implement. it’s really awkward, hence the name. But it’s not real heavy, 220 lbs. hopefully that description doesn’t suck.

600 lbs for the 175 class is really heavy. That’s 50-100 lbs over what I generally see for that class for local comps. You ever watch Patrick Castelli with the yoke though? He’s a 175 guy and I’ve seen him damn near running with an 800 lbs yoke. Just unreal.

Yeah that paints a picture. It sounds awkward as hell lol. I’ll probably avoid it unless it just looks like a great comp or is close to home.

Yeah I was pretty surprised. Otherwise it sounded like a fun comp, but I didn’t want to go in with a nearly assured zero, or leave with an injury. I haven’t, but damn. I’ll have to check it out. The strength of some of the top competitors in my class, or any class for that matter, is just amazing; and humbling.

I don’t mind yoke. One of the last comps I did had an giant cross and that was absolute hell. If it wasn’t that it is basically a combo between a Conan Wheel, duck walk and a keg where for some fucked up reason you carry it high on your chest and upright then it was that every second step smacks you in the nuts and if it isn’t your nuts it’s your face.

Stupid sport haha

The single most efficient way to make any part of the body bigger is to make the entire body bigger.

The body has a blue print and ratios it wants to stick to. Your body will not let you go very far outside your own DNA’s blueprints. Even with a shit ton of drugs this is limited.

If you could every curl bro in the world would have 20" arms on 160 pound body.

and I dont mean to keep replying to you, its just the sides we take on this that makes for good dialogue :smiley:

Squats nor Deadlifts are necessary but lower body training is for optimal (or any long term) results. Those are just the 2 most efficient ways to train the lower body. Easy substitutes are Deficit Trap Deads and Lunges.

We have a difference in philosophies on this one. Using is the same as practicing as the same as training etc. You may not be building your squat strength directly but you are building strength.

We need to combine, Dragon-ball fusion style. Carries are the only thing I’m semi-competent at.