Workout Shorts

Okay, if there is a good use for an over 35 message section, this has to be it:

Anyone have a link, or other source for a decent, durable pair of workout shorts? Almost seems silly to have to even ask, but I’ve spent a few weeks looking at local stores, and websites, and all I can find are those shiny polyester shorts that hang down to the middle of your calves. I’m not a Backstreet Boy and I don’t want to dress like one.

Check out www.zyflex.com

[quote]holmdog wrote:
Check out www.zyflex.com[/quote]

Looks like they have some decent products… however, I was hoping for something that is all cotton (or nearly all cotton). I guess I wasn’t clear about that in my first post.

92% cotton:

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12037

inzerdesigns

Why would you want all cotton? The performance of synthetics are amazing- anyone who has worn underarmour type shirts knows.

[quote]ailax12 wrote:
Why would you want all cotton? The performance of synthetics are amazing- anyone who has worn underarmour type shirts knows. [/quote]

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I want all cotton because the polyester blends usually create a lot of static, and I just don’t like the feel of them. I found the underarmour shirts and shorts (the couple I tried at least) to be a flimsy material–just my impression.

While not the most fancy solution it is a low cost way to get a pair of shorts that will last. Go to your local army surplus store, buy a few pairs of BDU pants, cut them off. While not pretty they will hold up well and are comfortable to wear while working out. Just my 2 cents.

[quote]Knuckles14 wrote:
While not the most fancy solution it is a low cost way to get a pair of shorts that will last. Go to your local army surplus store, buy a few pairs of BDU pants, cut them off. While not pretty they will hold up well and are comfortable to wear while working out. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Good suggestion. It appeals that part of me that always asks, “WWHRD?” (What Would Henry Rollins Do?)

Hey, guys…

What happened to a good 'ole pair of loose fitting sweat pants and a loose rag top?

That still works for me!

Mufasa

Oh…

You can’t forget a pair of good 'ole Chuck Taylors!

(Can you guys BELIEVE that “Chucks” are becoming WAY popular with the kids? DAMN…I should have held on to my platform shoes and bell bottoms!)

LOL!

Mufasa

I agree that synthetics are superior. But you have to buy quality stuff. I usually get my active gear from a different source, a hard-core outdoor sports store: http://www.rei.com/ .

Their clothing is geared towards outdoor sports, but because of that, it’s made to withstand a lot of abuse. And a high-performance synthetic is, in general, sport-agnostic.

But that’s my preference. Wear what makes you most comfortable. Hell, get a pair of old jeans and make cut-offs if that works for you. To me, that would be way too heavy, inflexible, and warm. But that might be perfect for someone else.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Oh…

(Can you guys BELIEVE that “Chucks” are becoming WAY popular with the kids? DAMN…I should have held on to my platform shoes and bell bottoms!)

LOL!

Mufasa[/quote]

I used to lift in Chucks, but I’ve moved to skate shoes in the past couple years. Vans mostly. I find they’re just as flat, giving you a good base for DLs, Squats, and whatnot, yet more comfortable. In fact, I think they may be better suited for lifting, they are much more wide in design than Chucks.

One thing I’ve realised about Chuck’s: only wear them to the gym. Seriously they are very cheaply made shoes and will fall apart within a few months.

I asked this in another thread, but I’ll ask it again here since the conversation has veered into footwear. Does anyone use ‘Otomix’ anymore. I still think they look way cool, but I haven’t seen anyone wearing them in a while. Of course, I haven’t read a M&F in about 5 years, either.

[quote]bino wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
Oh…

LOL!

Mufasa

I used to lift in Chucks, but I’ve moved to skate shoes in the past couple years. Vans mostly. I find they’re just as flat, giving you a good base for DLs, Squats, and whatnot, yet more comfortable. In fact, I think they may be better suited for lifting, they are much more wide in design than Chucks.[/quote]

Chuck Taylors! Hell, yeah!

I used to wear Vans, but for me they were too wide and “roomy”.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I asked this in another thread, but I’ll ask it again here since the conversation has veered into footwear. Does anyone use ‘Otomix’ anymore. I still think they look way cool, but I haven’t seen anyone wearing them in a while. Of course, I haven’t read a M&F in about 5 years, either.[/quote]

I see Otomix at my gym. Only by a few of the hardcore bodybuilders though–one pro, and a couple amatuers. Make of that what you will.

Hey…

Anybody with a link to “Vans”?

…and I must admit a bit of ignorance here…what are “skate” shoes?

(Probably a damn obvious answer, huh?)

Mufasa

I’d go with the under armour shorts, quality stuff.

I get the cotton workout shorts at WalMart for $5…

I also find the skate shoes a bit better for benching as the soles are a bit stickier so you get better leg drive. But Chucks for squatting/dl’ing are my preference.