T Nation

Workout Routine

Next question: How often should you change your workout routine? should they alternate by 4 week groups?....6 weeks? 8 weeks?. I work my different muscle groups and hit the gym about 5 times a week......I am on my 3rd week. I use mostly free weights and i know there are a ton of different exercises for each muscle group. How often should I rearrange my routine?

I remember this article with charles polliquin saying it only takes 2 weeks for your body to acclimatise iself.

As long as you're getting results, don't change it

1. Search this site.
  2. When results slow, change something.
  3. Focus on big, compound lifts.
  4. When it starts to ''feel'' routine, change it so you don't get bored.
  5. There are a million ways to change things. Get educated and have fun.

Do keep in mind a change isnt only a whole new routine. It can be added/subtracted weight, added/subtracted reps, changing a pressdown to a skull crunch, or a machine curl to a dumbbell curl. You could make small changes on an every workout basis and still be following the original structure of a program.

Whenever you feel like everything is getting slow and progression is halted you can then start to change things up. No number of weeks can determine when to change a rountine/program. It's dealt around many factors. Mainly just who you are since everyone is different.

Changing your workout routine comes with time. If you continue to lift for a couple of years straight you'll get into that groove and know when the time is right to change things up.

Just focus on lifting hard and concentrate on working the muscle you're working. You can have the best program in the world, but can have the sloppiest ways of using it.

Good luck & have fun!