T Nation

Workout Routine, Suggest Any Changes?

Hi T-Nation. I’m new to the forums but have been reading T-Nation for about a year now. Anyways, I am 23 years old and did some lifting in high school but recently got serious about training about a year and a half ago. I’m looking to put on some muscles and shed the fat. After reading some articles on the site I’ve created a training routine and was wondering if you guys could critique for me and suggest any changes.

Chest/Tricep - Sunday

Chest.

A. Flat Bench Press
4 sets. 6-8 reps

B. Incline Dumbbell Partial Press
3 sets. 8-10 reps

C. Flat Limited-Range Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullovers
3 sets. 8-10 reps

D. Flyes
3 sets, 10-12 reps

Triceps

The Double Method

Back/Biceps - Monday

Back

A. Deadlift
5 sets. 5 reps (2 sets from pins 2 inches below knee)

B. Row
3 sets, 8-10 reps

C. Dumbbell Pullover on Decline
3 sets, 8-10 reps

D. Face pulls
3 sets, 10-12 reps

Biceps

A. Reverse EZ Bar Preacher Curls
5 sets. 4-6 reps

B. Cable Curls
3 sets. 6-8 reps

Shoulders/Triceps - Wednesday

Shoulder

A. Military Overhead Press or Clean and Press
3 sets. 6-8 reps

B. Delt Triad or Shoulder burn
3 sets. 8-10 reps

Triceps

A. Omni-Rep Method
3 sets. 10-12 reps

Quadriceps - Thursday

Quadriceps

A. Front Squats or Back Squats or Hack Squat
5 sets. 5 reps

B. Lunges
3 sets. 8-10 reps

C. Close-Stance Leg Presses
3 sets. 8-10 reps

Hamstrings/Calves/Biceps - Friday

Hamstrings

A. Stiff-legged Deadlifts
5 sets. 5 reps

B. Leg Press (Feet High and Wide on Pad)
3 sets. 8-10 reps

C. Leg Curls
3 sets. 10-20 reps

Calves

A. Seated Calf Raises
5 sets. 5 reps

B. Standing Calf Raises
3 sets. 10-20 reps

Biceps
A. Constant Tension Curls Or Zottman Curls
3 sets. 6-8 reps

B. Low Incline Hammer Curls
4 sets. 4-6 reps

What are your lifts now? If you’re a beginner I suggest using 5x5 or referring to the Bodybuilding bible if your goals are aesthetic.

I’ve been lifting consistently now for about a year and a half. I try to do the 5x5 on heavy workouts such as the big 4 - bench press, squat, deadlift, and clean and press (or military press). This week I’ve been trying out to see where my max is and they are as follows. My squat is my weak point right now as I’ve never trained them before starting back at it.

Bench Press - 270 lbs
Clean and Press - 190 lbs
Deadlift - 405 lbs
Squat - 225 lbs

To be honest I would get you to use the bodybuilding bible and try to simplify your routine down to the movements that you can make big poundage gains on for reps.

I’m not sure what ‘the double method’ is, or the ‘delt triad or shoulder burn’ or the ‘omni rep method’ so I won’t comment on those.

The Double Method and omni-rep method are featured in this article:

The Delt Triad is here:

As for the “shoulder burn”, it is a routine one of my buddy’s discovered while working at a gym. It is simply just taking a plate (whatever weight you can comfortably do) and do 10 presses, 10 front raises, 10 pushes

To be honest those things seem like techniques that would add unneccesary volume to your routine and slow down gains in the big movements that you should be focusing on.

If I were you I would cut down to your favorite 2 exercises per bodypart (or just one per session with the ones you’re hitting twice a week) and make those exercises ‘big’ like keeping your flat bench and incline because there’s alot of room for poundage progression in those exercises and cutting out pullovers and flies.

Trying to progress with those exercises and only switching things when you stall, like the rep range or the movement.

I’d be interested in hearing some more opinions on this routine.

one question: why no vertical pull like chins or pulldowns?

I’ve decided to change up things so I’ve ditched this routine, although I did find I was making good progress with it.