T Nation

Workout Routine Spoon Feeding

5'10 205 18% BF (Bod Pod)
on TRT // HCG // Arimidex (Total T levels sitting around 1000, Free T was unable to be measured because it was greater than 50, E sitting at about 22)
Have a wedding coming up in 135 days that is a beach wedding
Have a commercial grade power rack, Oly. Bar, and more plates than I'll ever use. Also have dumbbells up to 110 pounds in 10 pound increments. ***I have a flat bench that will not adjust (This is important)
My goal is to look good for the beach basically. My diet is in check and beyond the scope of this discussion.

Given the above information what would be a serious no fuss no muss program to help me reach my goal? I don't have the equipment to do fancy lifts with cables, smith machines, etc. This needs to be straight Olympic weights and dumbbells. Have the willpower but lack the knowledge. Please spoon feed me with a routine that will make the Bataan Death March look like a walk in the park.

Regards,

Nick

This would be a good start: https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/6-weeks-to-superhero

Please give an example of what you would consider to be looking good at the beach. Preferably with pictures. I’m sure in your mind you know exactly what that looks like, but I’m guessing what’s in my mind would be different.

Have you been using all that equipment? Or are you entirely new to lifting?

I think this matters in dictating the best advice for you.

[quote]nrbroadhurst wrote:

Have a wedding coming up in 135 days that is a beach wedding[/quote]
4 months is plenty of time to see some serious changes if you get your training and nutrition in line.

LOL, no, no it isn’t “beyond the scope”. Your diet is 100% crucial to seeing any progress at all. I’ll say that, given the timeframe and general goal, your diet will absolutely be the make or break factor. And if I had a buck for every “don’t worry, my diet’s fine” that I’ve read over the years, I’d be buying the house a few rounds of Guinness tonight.

Get specific with your goals, like Dagill said. Either a set target bodyweight or, more relevant and practical, figure out an ideal physique that’s reasonable and achievable in the timeframe. So, no 220-pound ripped dudes. Focusing on fat loss will often yield the largest difference in how you look at the beach, but if you drop fat and have no muscle, you’ll end up being the skinny guy with abs.

[quote]… that will make the Bataan Death March look like a walk in the park. [/quote]'
Okay.

Mon, Wed, and Fri
A) Front squat 3x50
B) Reverse lunge 3x50 per leg
C) Walking lunge 2x100 steps
Finisher: Jump rope, barefoot on concrete, 750 skips

Tues, Thurs, and Sat
A1) Overhead press 4x20
A2) Push press 4x20
A3) Jerk 4x20
B) Shrug, 3-count pause at top, 1x50
C) Farmer’s walk 5 sets to failure
Finisher: Jump rope, barefoot on concrete, 500 skips

Now, would you like an actually productive workout instead? Like AG said, your recent training will definitely play a role in the “best” next step. I will say, though, almost any program can be made to work with your available equipment. Some guys would say it’s actually a benefit to have to focus on the barebones basics.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

LOL, no, no it isn’t “beyond the scope”. Your diet is 100% crucial to seeing any progress at all. I’ll say that, given the timeframe and general goal, your diet will absolutely be the make or break factor. And if I had a buck for every “don’t worry, my diet’s fine” that I’ve read over the years, I’d be buying the house a few rounds of Guinness tonight.
[/quote]

x2. Was thinking this, just didn’t want to bother with an extensive reply to the laziest “help me get ripped, no I can’t be bothered to take 15 minutes and search this fantastic website for a program, just spoon feed it to me, but trust me I know how to eat and that’s beyond the scope of this discussion” post I’ve ever seen.

OP, answer me this. If you have an unbelievable work ethic and a diet that is so god-damn on point that you don’t need advice on it, why do you need to come to a forum and ask someone to lay out training for you? Shouldn’t you be able to Google “How To Get Ripped In 135 Days” and come up with the answer yourself? Or even just read this web site for, like, 20 minutes?

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[/quote]

x2. Was thinking this, just didn’t want to bother with an extensive reply to the laziest “help me get ripped, no I can’t be bothered to take 15 minutes and search this fantastic website for a program, just spoon feed it to me, but trust me I know how to eat and that’s beyond the scope of this discussion” post I’ve ever seen.

OP, answer me this. If you have an unbelievable work ethic and a diet that is so god-damn on point that you don’t need advice on it, why do you need to come to a forum and ask someone to lay out training for you? Shouldn’t you be able to Google “How To Get Ripped In 135 Days” and come up with the answer yourself? Or even just read this web site for, like, 20 minutes?

[/quote]

This is why I asked for a specific goal, because many people would be happy with 18% bodyfat. If that’s you, then maybe your diet really is sorted. Likewise, many other people would think 18% is too high, in which case your diet is 100% relevant because you’ve clearly not been getting it right.

Given the vagueness, here’s a couple exercises.

Chins. Work up to 15 over several sessions, add weight, work to 15, add weight, repeat. Add at least one rep per session that you don’t add weight.
Bent over curls. Literally, bend over at your hips, and do curls. You can do these one arm at a time bent over a bench. 3 sets of 12-15.

Slight Decline Bench press. Put a plate under the foot of your flat bench. Do 8 sets of 3, then drop the weight and 6 sets of 8. 2-3x a week. If you have a place to do dips, you can do the sets of 8 with the dips.

Seated Overhead Press. Sit upright with your feet supporting you, and no back support. 5 sets of 4-6. When you hit 5x6, add weight. Then do Partial Wide-grip Upright Rows, raising the bar from arms straight to the bottom of your ribcage. Hold for 3 seconds at the top. Do 3 sets of 6-8. Add weight at 3x8.
Finish that with a single set of 20 lateral raises with a weight where the last 5 reps should be nearly impossible.

Squats OR mid-shin rack pulls for 5x4-6.

Do all those lifts 2-3 times a week; chins 3-5 times a week.

One way to put things together:
M: seated overhead press + pwur + lateral raises; rack pulls
T: chins + curls
W: decline + dips; squats
R: chins + curls
F: overhead + pwur + laterals; rack pulls
S: chins + curls
S: rest

Rotate the overhead/pulls and decline/squats days next week.

If you’re not making progress every session in either weight or reps, fix your diet. If that still isn’t working, add in another rest day and spread things apart a bit.

This is just a “I wonder what if”/guinea pig routine. Adjust if you need to, but there’s a starting point.

The emphasis is on 1) chest [slight decline for most of the chest, overhead for the upper chest], 2) arms [lots of pressing at different angles for the triceps, weighted higher-volume chins for the bis], 3) width, via shoulders [seated overhead presses, partial rows with the held contraction, and pump set of laterals] and lat width [chins], and 4) ab strength [unsupported seated overhead presses, rack pulls and squats]. This, combined with a good diet, should do a lot toward making you look more beach ready. I’m fully expecting your form to be kind of bad, and for that to work in your advantage.

Since I know absolutely nothing about you, how you’ve trained in the past, what you know or don’t know, what you currently look like, your current frame, etc. etc., this is pretty much a shot in the dark. Not that I’m a trainer or anything anyway.