Workout Routine for Mass?

That’s because your body never became acclimated to those things.

I’ll give you a specific template, that has been PROVEN to work for many, many people. It is Wendler’s 5/3/1 with the boring but big assistance template. You basically run through the 5/3/1 basic template, which has you doing anywhere from 10-30 reps, depending on how your last working set goes, and then 3-5 sets of 10 around 50-60 percent of your max. I would MUCH rather do this than 10 sets of 2.

Does prellipin’s chart take into account joint health? I find higher rep schemes with lower weights to be far better on my joints than lots of sets of low reps and heavier weight.

As to your own body: I’ve seen your lifts. You have not put on much muscle. certainly not enough to justify 100 lbs of weight gain. Those lifts would not be good if you still weighed 160, and I assure you, muscle size is HIGHLY correlated with strength. Meaning you have experience very little muscle mass gain doing things your way. You can be dogmatic about your ways, but at some point you may want to take a step back and consider that perhaps this chart is not doing you any favors.

Do you think the athletes used for this research were normal, everyday guys with average genetics?

Have you considered their training levels and specific training regimes for context? Without direct contact with the guy who did this chart, I can easily interpret it as “optimal allocation of volume for each specific attribute sufficient for at least a minimal adaptive response cos there’s a whole lot of shit to do”.

Have you considered that ALL weightlifting athletes at that level have similar anthropometry? A very efficient squatter isn’t going to need the same amount of volume as one who isn’t to illicit the same training effect.

3 Likes

then your conditioning is horrible.

1 Like

What do you think is good strength for a 160lb. I think the high pulls would be over double weight, if I weighed 160lb. I not as concerned with overall strength as long as I can eventually clean 2x bw. I was getting 160kg to my belly as around a 90kg .

High pull is such a weird way to gauge your strength, since the height you pull to varies, BUT I will say that a 2x bodyweight clean is VERY strong. I can’t clean that much, or really come close. But unless I misread your log, you’re not cleaning anything in the ballpark, nor are you high pulling close to that.

I’ve never high pulled for a max, so I don’t really know what I would consider strong on that. I would think a 160kg high pull at 90kg isn’t bad, depending on how high you actually pull it. I think a high pull to, say, bottom of your chest, at bodyweight at 160 lbs, would be very very good.

Um… I hate to mention this. (probably going to regret adding into this) BUT…the whole Prilepin table was developed for Weight (Olympic) Lifters. Which has been adopted the lifting community…. Odd thing is people overlook that there is no real eccentric part on the main Olympic lifts. But not going to spend allot of time going into that.
Ironically allot of current sport science research is starting to suggest that there might not be as huge of a advantage for a person to use higher rep’s lower intensity compared to lower rep’s higher intensity as people assume in regards of hypertrophy.

5 Likes

I like using Prilepin… for dynamic effort work which will not get the blood in the muscles for hypertrophy like say 5 sets of 20 of just about any single joint movement. Prilepin was developed to bar speed fast. I get more hypertrophy from using resistance bands at the end of a workout for sets of 20 than I do pressing triples at 80%.

Louie Simmons lives and dies by this chart on dynamic effort and it only makes up about 20% of the workout volume for Westside before they go to very specific hypertrophy training… which means that recommending it for someone who said that they don’t want to do a lot of work isn’t great. In combination with a big hypertrophy workout afterwards, yes it will make you both big and brutally strong. If you’re looking for an easy workout to pack on mass, it’s probably not the best starting point. But if someone wants an easy workout, id recommend the treadmill set on 2 since then they’re at least going nowhere in more than one sense.

1 Like