T Nation

Workout Review...

Hi,

So I’m trying to develop my workout… Unfortnunatly I can only dedicate two mornings to it so i’m doing a full body routine.

Halfway throught week two.

While I hit things HARD and feel BEAT when I’m done, I still feel like I need to do more movements.

Day 1
Deadlifts: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Flat bench: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Seated Cable Row: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5

Day 2
Squats: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Military Press: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Lat-pulldown: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5

If I have ANY energy left I’ll do a few quick reps of curls and triceps pulldown

For my 5 sets of 5 I use the same weight but the reps drop towards the end… right now it’s pretty much 5,5,5,4,3 when I can do 5x5 I figure it’s time to go up in weight. Is this a correct assumption?

Should I be doing more movements or will this suffice? I feel exhausted after the workout and all over sore the next day (i know partially is due to the fact that i’m just starting up again) with the possible exception being my arms.

I realize that I wont get anywhere near a comp. body with this workout, but I only have 2 days a week 1.5 hrs a day. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to make more time. I just want to make sure i’m building everything balanced and will see the best gains I can.

Thanks,

Those are good choices considering your claim of no time but you say you have 1.5 hours each day. You must be able to do more than 75 reps in that time if you want. To be honest though, you’re not going to make much progress with BB splits if you can only dedicate 2X/week for workouts. I would suggest you keep doing what you’re doing and re-build a base until you have more time. In addition, why not add in some dumbbell and bodyweight workouts in the evenings.

Ya that looks pretty good. If you only have 2 mornings to dedicate, you certainly are getting in the exercises needed. There are many methods of 5x5. Look them up on the site and apply them accordingly. Good luck!

[quote]john110 wrote:
Hi,

So I’m trying to develop my workout… Unfortnunatly I can only dedicate two mornings to it so i’m doing a full body routine.

Halfway throught week two.

While I hit things HARD and feel BEAT when I’m done, I still feel like I need to do more movements.

Day 1
Deadlifts: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Flat bench: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Seated Cable Row: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5

Day 2
Squats: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Military Press: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5
Lat-pulldown: 1 warmup set, 5 sets of 5

If I have ANY energy left I’ll do a few quick reps of curls and triceps pulldown

For my 5 sets of 5 I use the same weight but the reps drop towards the end… right now it’s pretty much 5,5,5,4,3 when I can do 5x5 I figure it’s time to go up in weight. Is this a correct assumption?

Should I be doing more movements or will this suffice? I feel exhausted after the workout and all over sore the next day (i know partially is due to the fact that i’m just starting up again) with the possible exception being my arms.

I realize that I wont get anywhere near a comp. body with this workout, but I only have 2 days a week 1.5 hrs a day. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to make more time. I just want to make sure i’m building everything balanced and will see the best gains I can.

Thanks,

[/quote]

First, do more warm-up sets. One set just won’t get you very warm or prime your muscles/CNS to lift heavy. Don’t count them, but use several sets to get up to your working weight. You can do fewer as the workout goes on since you will, of course, be pretty warm after a bit.

Then, do more on each day and use a heavier/lighter approach, like this (warm ups excluded, although you can still ramp up your weight during your “work” sets…not all work sets have to be at the same weight):

Day 1
Deadlifts: 7 sets of 3 (with your 5 rep max), plus 3 singles (at 95% of your 1RM)
Squats: 2 sets of 10-15
Flat bench (bb or db): 3 sets of 6-10
Pull-ups: BW x as many sets as it takes to get to 30 total reps (add weight when possible)
Military Press: 8 x 3
Seated Cable Row: 3 sets of 8-10

Day 2
Squats: 7 sets of 3 (with your 5 rep max), plus 3 singles (at 95% of your 1RM)
Weighted dips: 8 sets of 3
Pull-ups: Weighted and as many sets as it takes to get to 30 total reps
Behind the Neck Push Press: 8 x 3
Bent Row: 5x3, 1x8
Calf exercise

If you can throw in abs, direct arm work, shrugs, or whatever as time allows. I would try to do direct arm work each day, even if its just non-stop superset of higher rep curls and pushdowns for 5 straight minutes at the end.

Obviously, focus on progressing on everything, but really focus on using more weight for the low rep stuff.

If you can do 8+ pull-ups with your bodyweight, then just use your bodyweight on day 1 to get to the 30 reps (should take 4-5 sets) and add weight on day 2 so it takes you more like 7-8 sets.

If you can superset a push and a pull, do that. It will make your 90 minutes much more productive. Keep rest periods low-ish (no need for more than 60-120 second between sets).

Feel free to play with this, but the gist of what I’m saying is:

Deadlift once per week, but you need to squat both sessions. I put a higher rep squat day (w/ only 2 sets) on the day you deadlift, so this shouldn’t be a problem.

And I get the “one push and one pull” thing, but with only 2 sessions per week you should do a push and a pull for each plane (vertical and horizontal).

So in essence what I’m saying is:

Day 1:
Dealift heavy
Squat light
horizontal push
horizontal pull
vertical push
vertical pull (pull-ups)

Day 2
Squat heavy
horizontal push
horizontal pull
vertical push
vertical pull (pull-ups)

plus ab, arms, calves, etc.

If you bust your ass and use supersets you can make this work for you.